Go ahead, ask me to grade Demry Croft (“How Do You Like Me Now”)

Croft hasn't been good throwing the ball in any game this season. He is a good athlete, bad quarterback. There is no way Fleck can go into next season with him as the starter.

This is why I don't understand why we aren't starting Rhoda. Or anyone else for that matter.

No, Rhoda wasn't anything special. But he presented a little bit of a passing threat and gives us a chance to win. I think it's pretty clear Croft isn't going to be a long term QB, so it's not like we're just trying to groom him.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

This is why I don't understand why we aren't starting Rhoda. Or anyone else for that matter.

No, Rhoda wasn't anything special. But he presented a little bit of a passing threat and gives us a chance to win. I think it's pretty clear Croft isn't going to be a long term QB, so it's not like we're just trying to groom him.

Rhoda sucks. Croft isn't the answer. Next years starter likely isn't on this team.

Rhoda sucks. Croft isn't the answer. Next years starter likely isn't on this team.
At least Rhoda somewhat resembles a guy that can throw a football. But agreed, our future starter better not be on our roster or it's going to be a long couple of years.

He had another bad INT today but he can't catch the ball or run the routes for these guys. Third and longs, turnovers leading to playing from way behind are not a recipe for success.

I do wish he had kept the ball more today but it is what it is. Maybe Morgan will be the next guy or whomever they are able to bring in at QB. As of today we don't have a recruit. Will said recruit be good enough to start as a true freshman? If it's Viramontes will he be good enough to beat out Croft? I don't know. We do need some playmakers.

At least Rhoda somewhat resembles a guy that can throw a football. But agreed, our future starter better not be on our roster or it's going to be a long couple of years.

I keep seeing stuff like this and I have no idea what you saw. He wasn't any better throwing the ball.

He had another bad INT today but he can't catch the ball or run the routes for these guys. Third and longs, turnovers leading to playing from way behind are not a recipe for success.

I do wish he had kept the ball more today but it is what it is. Maybe Morgan will be the next guy or whomever they are able to bring in at QB. As of today we don't have a recruit. Will said recruit be good enough to start as a true freshman? If it's Viramontes will he be good enough to beat out Croft? I don't know. We do need some playmakers.

I don't know anything, but I'm still of the opinion Croft is going to move on. We'll see.

I keep seeing stuff like this and I have no idea what you saw. He wasn't any better throwing the ball.

Much better throwing the ball, but he's a pylon out there and no threat to run or avoid a sack. Doesn't matter at this point, both are bad QB's.

He threw for quite a few more yards in fewer attempts with less picks and a better QB efficiency. Granted a couple were against weaker teams, but at least he's had success throwing it.

He threw for quite a few more yards in fewer attempts with less picks and a better QB efficiency. Granted a couple were against weaker teams, but at least he's had success throwing it.

OMFG.

Do you guys watch the games? He's hitting guys directly in the hands. He has guys running horrible routes. Our QBs need help. I've never seen such a poor group of receivers/TEs in terms of catching the ball.

Sure, he's had some bad interceptions and multiple bad decisions but he's far more skilled than Rhoda will ever be. We gain nothing from starting Rhoda and actually get worse.

OMFG.

Do you guys watch the games? He's hitting guys directly in the hands. He has guys running horrible routes. Our QBs need help. I've never seen such a poor group of receivers/TEs in terms of catching the ball.

Sure, he's had some bad interceptions and multiple bad decisions but he's far more skilled than Rhoda will ever be. We gain nothing from starting Rhoda and actually get worse.
OMFG.

You realize Rhoda threw to the same receivers and had more success, right? I don't know what you've been watching to say Croft is more skilled though. He looks like a running back converted QB.

OMFG.

You realize Rhoda threw to the same receivers and had more success, right? I don't know what you've been watching to say Croft is more skilled though. He looks like a running back converted QB.

Douglas hasn't played since Croft started playing. TJ was not playing today.
Croft is a better QB than Rhoda. He has not been helped at all by the drops and I don't think he's been helped much by the play calling either.
Of all the things that have gone on this year, the Off. play calling has not been great and has not been using the abilities of the players they have. Against Neb, we rolled them because Neb was awful and quit after the first quarter. Our play calling wasn't any better in that game, it was just that we made more plays due to Neb. being so awful.

Probably because it can get worse. It's not like the weather was a recipe for an air raid.

If the bucket of QBs is empty.... reaching in again isn't going to change anything.

OMFG.

I said Rhoda was no better and I stand by that statement. We are far better off trying to develop Croft for next year. Maybe he'll never get "there" but Rhoda put up below average numbers vs weak defenses and played scared vs Big Ten rush.

I don't think the receiver drops would look any prettier with Rhoda throwing the ball.

OMFG.

100% correct.

They are both terrible and would not see the field for any respectable P5 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't envy anyone playing QB for the Gophers. There are no receivers beyond #6 and possibly the freshman Douglass that know how to run routes, catch and actually be playmakers. I'm not defending Croft as he didn't play the best today, but with a beat up O-line, and not a lot of time he put the ball where it had to be 9 to 10 times today and the receivers failed to catch the ball. Howard, at the goal-line he could not have placed the ball or fit it in any better and Howard just flat alligator armed it into the hands of the other team. Previously had hope for Hiemeleski, he doesn't have the wheels to be a Big 10 wideout at least not showing anything like that yet. QB is not going to matter as much if they cannot fix the WR group and the offensive line right now because neither group as depth, or Big 10 level playmaking depth right now. Kill/Claeys never recruited an athlete in the Oline worthy of being a Big 10 offensive line. O-line used to be kind of thing under Coach Mason, now we have not had a great one in quite some time.
Croft put the ball right on Still and it was a great throw, right on time and Still wasn't ready for it coming out of the break. The QB cannot do everything like tying the shoes for the other guy. The boat was leaking water badly today.

I don't envy anyone playing QB for the Gophers. There are no receivers beyond #6 and possibly the freshman Douglass that know how to run routes, catch and actually be playmakers. I'm not defending Croft as he didn't play the best today, but with a beat up O-line, and not a lot of time he put the ball where it had to be 9 to 10 times today and the receivers failed to catch the ball. Howard, at the goal-line he could not have placed the ball or fit it in any better and Howard just flat alligator armed it into the hands of the other team. Previously had hope for Hiemeleski, he doesn't have the wheels to be a Big 10 wideout at least not showing anything like that yet. QB is not going to matter as much if they cannot fix the WR group and the offensive line right now because neither group as depth, or Big 10 level playmaking depth right now. Kill/Claeys never recruited an athlete in the Oline worthy of being a Big 10 offensive line. O-line used to be kind of thing under Coach Mason, now we have not had a great one in quite some time.
Croft put the ball right on Still and it was a great throw, right on time and Still wasn't ready for it coming out of the break. The QB cannot do everything like tying the shoes for the other guy. The boat was leaking water badly today.

Good points. Nebraska's great receivers helped Tanner Lee make a real comeback in the 2nd half against Penn St. We have no such receivers, except Johnson, who was out. And Mason did develop great linemen for his zone rushing game - several All-Americans.

Croft is fine. JV high school playcalling, no WR weapons, offensive line killing him, playing from behind a lot. He's no star in his first few games but he's good enough to be in the mix to start next year. Demry was no world beater last week (he broke QB sneaks against an absolute inept NE team) and he is not a bust forever after today.

Hey, maybe Rhoda would have been slightly better this year, but what's the point of playing a senior when it maaaaybe would have given you just one more win in an awful year? As a matter of fact, Rhoda already lost at the helm of the only two other possibly winnable games in our B1G schedule - Maryland and Purdue.

B1G schedule:

Rhoda in winnable games (PUR, MD): 0-2

Croft in winnable games (NE): 1-0

Croft in "you'd better win or shut the program down" games (ILL): 1-0

The other games were against top-25 teams where we are inferior all across the board. You'd need a Heisman QB to win any of these with this current gopher team.

I think it was buried in one of these threads, but is Croft hurt? If so, when did he get injured?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IMHO, we may be seeing a new starter next year other than Croft if he does not show progress with his development over this coming Spring. We can say that he does not have WRs or we can say that the OL is too thin. But, bottom line should at least improvise.

We need someone who can will a victory. Not necessarily a QB with the best athleticism, but someone who is a good decision maker who can improvise and manufacture a win.

Imagine a Mitch Leidner who can throw a good ball.

Bottom line, PJ Fleck may pull a surprise or two this coming Spring.

OMFG.

I’m honestly not sure if you’re serious or not. Croft is a horrendously substandard QB. And I’m not advocating for Rhoda one iota. We should have seen Green a LOT more today.

Drops? You do realize part of the problem with the drops, along with many of his other incompletions and INT’s, is that he’s f’ng late with the ball, right? The ball isn’t coming out on time. He doesn’t understand what is happening in front of him. He can’t comprehend what the defense is doing, he can’t read the coverages.

In addition, another remarkable shortcoming is that Croft can’t hardly catch the center snap. He’s bobbled more shotgun snaps than most guys do in a career. It’s just amazing.

They should have picked up on this earlier in the year and for the sake of his confidence and the team’s success THIS year, they should give him ONE OPTION on every play and if it’s not there, take off and run. Forget about him finding second or third reads. He’s not competent, period.

Like Sparlimb says, next year’s QB is very likely not on the roster right now. At the very least, he hasn’t taken any snaps this year.

I’m honestly not sure if you’re serious or not. Croft is a horrendously substandard QB. And I’m not advocating for Rhoda one iota. We should have seen Green a LOT more today.

Drops? You do realize part of the problem with the drops, along with many of his other incompletions and INT’s, is that he’s f’ng late with the ball, right? The ball isn’t coming out on time. He doesn’t understand what is happening in front of him. He can’t comprehend what the defense is doing, he can’t read the coverages.

In addition, another remarkable shortcoming is that Croft can’t hardly catch the center snap. He’s bobbled more shotgun snaps than most guys do in a career. It’s just amazing.

They should have picked up on this earlier in the year and for the sake of his confidence and the team’s success THIS year, they should give him ONE OPTION on every play and if it’s not there, take off and run. Forget about him finding second or third reads. He’s not competent, period.

Like Sparlimb says, next year’s QB is very likely not on the roster right now. At the very least, he hasn’t taken any snaps this year.

Your analysis of Croft is what is substandard.

Not one drop in the past 3 games was because the ball wasn't out on time.

His TD pass to TJ against Illinois was him finding his third option. He is capable of going through progressions.

Bad play calling, lack of WR separation have more to do with the quality of the QB play.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's seeing either. On Still's two drops the ball was out before he made his break. 25's drop the ball was out before his break. Every QB in America will make some mistakes. His throw to Still that was picked wasn't a great decision but tell me Still was doing to make a play on the ball? The other pick was a very bad decision but something we see a lot a of at all levels. His OL was a sieve today. This "perfect standard" some are holding an inexperienced QB to is absolutely astounding. He needs some help, and he needs seasoning. Maybe he'll get better, maybe he won't.

I think Rhoda is more decisive and makes better throws, and I think it’s so obvious that I don’t even know how to respond to someone who denies it.

Top Bottom