[POST GAME THREAD] - Northwestern defeats Minnesota 39-0

Fleck's got some 'splaining to do...

Whatever laser focus Croft had last week was broken this week. Not helped by losing TJ, and No Shannon. Weather affected us more than it should have.

After it all though, I'm still on the boat, and still hoping for a miracle next week, especially because I'll be in town for Thanksgiving and will be able to go to the game.

Rough game. Team came out and forced a three and out, and then hand the long pass. Too bad we didn’t get points in either of those first possessions.
After we went down 13-0 it felt like the game was over .

I was not happy with how this game went.

I'm trying to put together some detailed thoughts but struggling to find the right combination of words. A few quickies:

1. One of the more disappointing losses in recent memory. Completely manhandled by a team without substantially more talent than us.

2. Croft was awful today but I think he is still likely the starter come next season. As everyone says the backup is always the most popular guy on the roster, whether it is warranted or not. He has shown flashes and his WR's have not helped him out whatsoever.

3. I think Fleck's long-term success here will come down to two things: whether he can recruit/develop a QB and how strong his coordinators are. I bring up Smith and Ciraccoacaoaca because I do not believe Fleck has his hands all over either side of the ball. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he leaves most of the game-planning and play calling to them. In order to beat better, more-talented teams you often need to out-scheme them. The previous staff was good at exactly that and it is yet to be seen whether this staff is able to out coach opponents.

Also: there will likely and unfortunately be about 20,000 Badger fans at TCF next week, but the Seniors deserve recognition and a proper sendoff.

They had two eight-win seasons and will exit as one of the more successful classes in recent history. Cheers to them and all the work they have put into this program.

Terrible, terrible game. Mason often mentioned how odd it was that Croft running on the Option, which looked good last week, was so noticeably missing this week. Good question.

This team should be better than this. NW had the weather to contend with too so that excuse is crap. The year zero thing added with all the new culture stuff was miscalculation by Fleck IMO especially coming off a winning season. Fleck should have been able to make something better out of this team than what we have seen. Last week they had it going and I did expect that we would have played much better than we did today. Turnovers are a mental thing and this is not a good sign for next week. Wisky is in full control today and will be hovering over top 4 playoff teams. They will want to win by huge numbers.

The radio team were saying Demry's passes were right on target and the receivers dropped 8-9 balls that they should have caught.

I'm hoping recruiting focuses on bringing in true receivers to be beefed up...rather than athletes to be coached up as receivers.

We could certainly use the second coming of Erik Decker or Maxx Williams for the passing game.

I'm trying to put together some detailed thoughts but struggling to find the right combination of words. A few quickies:

1. One of the more disappointing losses in recent memory. Completely manhandled by a team without substantially more talent than us.

2. Croft was awful today but I think he is still likely the starter come next season. As everyone says the backup is always the most popular guy on the roster, whether it is warranted or not. He has shown flashes and his WR's have not helped him out whatsoever.

3. I think Fleck's long-term success here will come down to two things: whether he can recruit/develop a QB and how strong his coordinators are. I bring up Smith and Ciraccoacaoaca because I do not believe Fleck has his hands all over either side of the ball. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he leaves most of the game-planning and play calling to them. In order to beat better, more-talented teams you often need to out-scheme them. The previous staff was good at exactly that and it is yet to be seen whether this staff is able to out coach opponents.

They have shown so far this year they are not capable of outcoaching anyone.

Well we were in it for 2 drives. But that's about it. Still made a catch while I was still watching. Croft Made a horrible decision which cost us a field goal.

Good news though. Unlike the last few years the defense this year sucks equal parts with the offense. Fleck has a lot of work ahead of him but can sell a lot of playing time. I can't wait until we actually play real defensive ends...

Terrible, terrible game. Mason often mentioned how odd it was that Croft running on the Option, which looked good last week, was so noticeably missing this week. Good question.

The difference in playing the 2nd best B1G rushing defense on the road and the worst rushing defense in the conference at home.

The radio team were saying Demry's passes were right on target and the receivers dropped 8-9 balls that they should have caught.

I'm hoping recruiting focuses on bringing in true receivers to be beefed up...rather than athletes to be coached up as receivers.

We could certainly use the second coming of Erik Decker or Maxx Williams for the passing game.

Man, I'd be happy with with far less. Give me Bowling Green's WR's and we'd be half way there.

This is about as straightforward as it gets.

Simply put, the team was absolutely awful today in every respect.

Not much more to say.

Croft running more

JG, in the post game interview, asked PJ about this - PJ mentioned Croft has been suffering with a lower body injury. No doubt coaches didn't run him because they didn't want to risk further injury to Croft.

The difference in playing the 2nd best B1G rushing defense on the road and the worst rushing defense in the conference at home.

Way over simplifying. We didn't even try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way over simplifying. We didn't even try.

Sure and they probably should have tried more. But it only looked good for one week, against the worst run defense in the conference. That makes a difference.

JG, in the post game interview, asked PJ about this - PJ mentioned Croft has been suffering with a lower body injury. No doubt coaches didn't run him because they didn't want to risk further injury to Croft.

Thanks and that makes sense. Though it does beg the question of why is he playing at all then?

But to me this is a coaching issue. If Croft is hurt, then play Rhoda and hope that you win. Don't just play Croft when you know he'll have a tough go.

But to me this is a coaching issue. If Croft is hurt, then play Rhoda and hope that you win. Don't just play Croft when you know he'll have a tough go.

PJ has shown us he will play injured players - whether best for the team or not. Why would QB be any different?

About finished watching the recorded game because I had something going on this morning. Sure glad I can fast forward through a lot of this.

The offense should have just stayed on the bus. The conditions were bad, but they played like they didn't want to be out there.

Besides the interceptions, there are two plays that really stood out to me in terms of Croft. The first is when he just allowed a d-lineman to sack him. Croft had a lot of time to avoid him but either didn't see him somehow. The second was on 3rd and long he scrambled, picked up 10 yards and just ran out of bounds. He could have easily cut back and maybe gotten the first down. He played like he was scared of getting hit.

Just a pathetic effort overall.

About finished watching the recorded game because I had something going on this morning. Sure glad I can fast forward through a lot of this.

The offense should have just stayed on the bus. The conditions were bad, but they played like they didn't want to be out there.

Besides the interceptions, there are two plays that really stood out to me in terms of Croft. The first is when he just allowed a d-lineman to sack him. Croft had a lot of time to avoid him but either didn't see him somehow. The second was on 3rd and long he scrambled, picked up 10 yards and just ran out of bounds. He could have easily cut back and maybe gotten the first down. He played like he was scared of getting hit.

I believe that was right before Fleck punted on 4th and 5 down 25-0 mid third-quarter, from the NW 40.

You should have read the thread first.

Top Bottom