Has Fleck lost this team?

Really? Maybe you should post more often.

See, you can make good posts. I have to admit this made me laugh. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ Fleck did not lose the entire team. What he lost is a bunch of disastisfied Gopherholers!

Okay. There will be a handful that probably did not buy in. No worry. Let them move on, and the Gophers will move on with players who fit the new culture.

You can't grant a ten year extension based on the Nebraska game and you can't start a coaching search based on the Northwestern game. So far this season is pretty disappointing overall whether your a Fleck supporter or not, Even if you didn't buy Fleck's spiel as a fan you probably hoped this year would be better. We are all so damn tired of starting over that we hoped somehow this coaching change would be different. I'm going to the game this weekend without expectation and support the team, the school, and the new coach and I'll buy tickets again next year and hope we made good choice in this coach and won't be starting over in 2020 again.

People posting on this forum discussing the actual topic are really working hard to find stuff to criticize Fleck about.

Do they want Fleck fired? No.

Do they just want to complain about Fleck? I guess so.

Isn't that kinda the point of internet message boards ... to be heard, when you have no other venue to be heard? *shrug*

You can't grant a ten year extension based on the Nebraska game and you can't start a coaching search based on the Northwestern game. So far this season is pretty disappointing overall whether your a Fleck supporter or not, Even if you didn't buy Fleck's spiel as a fan you probably hoped this year would be better. We are all so damn tired of starting over that we hoped somehow this coaching change would be different. I'm going to the game this weekend without expectation and support the team, the school, and the new coach and I'll buy tickets again next year and hope we made good choice in this coach and won't be starting over in 2020 again.

Maybe I'm just different, but I assume that every new Big Ten coach needs at least 2-3 years to build up the program the way he wants it to be run. Every head coach has a different way of doing things, brings in new people. And so on.

It took Fleck four years to get W Michigan built up to what we all saw last season. No one talked about the 1-11 season at W Michigan his first year. I just assumed that he would need at least a couple years. But that's my $0.02

I think Fleck is doing fine. Seems like people who are complaining just like to complain. At this point, complaining about Fleck is kind of like complaining about what color cement someone used when laying the footings for a house. Sure, a different shade of grey would have cured differently but in the end it probably won't make a difference long term.

I appreciate the criticism of play calling and outrage over which players may or may not be playing hurt but it isn't really going to matter next year whether we lost to Purdue this year.

Maybe a few less bowl game practices but the players who need to turn this program around aren't even on the roster yet.

Stupid question. A week after crushing Nebraska? Nah......growing pains. He'll have the team ramped up for the Wisconsin game.

Stupid question. A week after crushing Nebraska? Nah......growing pains. He'll have the team ramped up for the Wisconsin game.

I sure hope so. This will be the first game I make it to this year and am hoping for the game to be at least competitive.

Hope Springs Eternal with Gopher Football.

We've had 11 coaches in 45 years. The longest stretch was the 10-year Glen Mason era. As Gopher Football fans, we are psychologically damaged. We can't handle extremes zigging with Nebraska and zagging with Northwestern.

I can take the zig and the zag of PJ's chart if he will deliver a B1G West title in four years. I know I know that I need to be patient. Part of me want to say no more. I don't ever want to watch Gopher Football anymore. The next day, I get over it. My gut feeling tells me there is something there with our new coaching staff and if they can dial in the recruiting...

Minnesota was a frigid football landscape until Eric Kaler who IMHO is the first to be fully committed to not only Gopher Football, but to university athletics in general.

The Nothing Short Of Greatness Campaign is the first time ever that we have a huge commitment to sports at the U top to bottom. There has been other campaigns, but nothing like the size of the current commitment. The six previous presidents did not give the type of support to Gopher Athletics like it is being done today to put us in a better position to succeed in football and other sports.

The success of the athletic programs would bring in more endowments and donations. I think it does also help in student enrollment.

Hang in there. I think we are in a much better position to recruit the type of athletes needed to compete in the B1G and hopefully win championships. Whether PJ Fleck and Richard Pitino stay for the long haul or leave, we are in a better place to attract coaches and recruits.

It is what it is. Wisconsin got lucky with Donna Shalala who hired Barry Alvarez in 1990. In his firs year, he went 1-10 (0-8 Big Ten). In 1993, his team went 10-1-1 (6-1-1 Big Ten) and they went on to win the Rose Bowl.

It is even tough in the winter time while ice fishing. You can't escape the fact that we feel like losers in sports until the Twins won the two world series titles. Sure, we've got four titles with the Lynx and numerous ones with Gopher Men's and Women's Hockey. But, it is nothing like the feeling that I would get IF we ever win a B1G Football Title in my lifetime! Vikings too.

Winning the B1G Title in football would mean the whole world to me. We have not been able to count on the Vikings who also broke our hearts and hopes too many times. Do we stop watching Vikings Football? No.

I'm with you, hungan1 !

If Wisconsin can do it, Minnesota can surely do it. That also speaks to getting our ranking back up higher in key academic programs, as well. Med school and medical research, chiefly, but others too.

Hope Springs Eternal with Gopher Football.

We've had 11 coaches in 45 years. The longest stretch was the 10-year Glen Mason era. As Gopher Football fans, we are psychologically damaged. We can't handle extremes zigging with Nebraska and zagging with Northwestern.

I can take the zig and the zag of PJ's chart if he will deliver a B1G West title in four years. I know I know that I need to be patient. Part of me want to say no more. I don't ever want to watch Gopher Football anymore. The next day, I get over it. My gut feeling tells me there is something there with our new coaching staff and if they can dial in the recruiting...

Minnesota was a frigid football landscape until Eric Kaler who IMHO is the first to be fully committed to not only Gopher Football, but to university athletics in general.

The Nothing Short Of Greatness Campaign is the first time ever that we have a huge commitment to sports at the U top to bottom. There has been other campaigns, but nothing like the size of the current commitment. The six previous presidents did not give the type of support to Gopher Athletics like it is being done today to put us in a better position to succeed in football and other sports.

The success of the athletic programs would bring in more endowments and donations. I think it does also help in student enrollment.

Hang in there. I think we are in a much better position to recruit the type of athletes needed to compete in the B1G and hopefully win championships. Whether PJ Fleck and Richard Pitino stay for the long haul or leave, we are in a better place to attract coaches and recruits.

It is what it is. Wisconsin got lucky with Donna Shalala who hired Barry Alvarez in 1990. In his firs year, he went 1-10 (0-8 Big Ten). In 1993, his team went 10-1-1 (6-1-1 Big Ten) and they went on to win the Rose Bowl.

It is even tough in the winter time while ice fishing. You can't escape the fact that we feel like losers in sports until the Twins won the two world series titles. Sure, we've got four titles with the Lynx and numerous ones with Gopher Men's and Women's Hockey. But, it is nothing like the feeling that I would get IF we ever win a B1G Football Title in my lifetime! Vikings too.

Winning the B1G Title in football would mean the whole world to me. We have not been able to count on the Vikings who also broke our hearts and hopes too many times. Do we stop watching Vikings Football? No.

Back to the original question - has Fleck lost the team? Probably some of the seniors and juniors that don't get much playing time. Oh well - that can happen with any coaching change. The "year zero" type of speak probably didn't help matters though.

I agree with you about the "U" seeming to be committed to sports more than ever. I wasn't thrilled with how Claeys was fired but with a new AD he is going to want a new coach. Fleck deserves 4 years. Hopefully it's the beginning of something big.

well said LakerFan.

Horton beat #24 Iowa. Brewster beat 25 Purdue.. Kill beat two Nebraska here and there.

The 2013 and 2014 Nebraska teams were ranked #21.

Doesn't really matter. All the games before this season are just notes in history.

Beat Wisconsin on Saturday? Now that would really matter.

Very well said and it would help a lot if many of the posters on here actually go out and buy tickets for next year too.

The Claeys handling was very upsetting. I learned to move on and look ahead.

Tomorrow is a new day...

I'd happily give Fleck 7 years if we win a Big Ten West title in year 7.
Especially if we are growing a level of competitiveness with Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin during years 2-6.

I'd happily give Fleck 7 years if we win a Big Ten West title in year 7.
Especially if we are growing a level of competitiveness with Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin during years 2-6.

Both Alvarez and Ferentz had tough going in the first three years of their tenures. FTF, you've got something there. To be successful long term, the Gophers need to have coaching stability. We'd love to keep Fleck and his staff here long term.

Wisconsin put in place a foundation for success during the Alvarez era that is serving them now. They transition from Alvarez to Bilema to Anderson and now to Chryst.

NW has Fitz and Iowa has Ferentz. They have established themselves, but they struggled in the beginning.\

It requires patience and not getting too excited when we hit a glitch every now and then.

It makes you wonder what would have happened if they did not fire Mason, and instead replace the defensive staff.

Didn't Gary Patterson do that at TCU? I guess emotions get in the way when you have a habit of blowing big leads.

People posting on this forum discussing the actual topic are really working hard to find stuff to criticize Fleck about.

Do they want Fleck fired? No.

Do they just want to complain about Fleck? I guess so.

Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one. Try not to be surprised when you see a bunch of different ones on an internet message board. (I think you'll find there are plenty if different opinions and a$$holes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with all things, there are extreme positions and then there is the middle ground.

I am not a fan of Fleck's slogans and sayings. I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing "culture" or "elite" again.

Having said that, I will deal with the personality issues if Fleck can produce a winning team.

Yes, he needs time to recruit his players and get his system fully in place. I continue to feel that Fleck and his staff have found the B1G a more difficult task than they expected. hey, the guy's 36 years old. It's not like he's some grizzled veteran with 20 years experience at mid-majors. He is still a very young coach by major-conference standards. It's perfectly understandable that there will be a learning curve.

But, here's the thing: you have people on this board who absolutely refuse to accept any criticism of Fleck. Some of these same people were only too ready to criticize the previous coaches.

I will admit this: I have probably pushed some of my Fleck objections a little harder just to get the goat of the extreme Fleck defenders. If they back off, I'll back off. Don't freak out when someone questions play-calling or personnel moves, and I won't freak out when the team struggles.

Top Bottom