What will be the Fleck excuse this week?

I get a sense that this team is not mentally tough. If things are going well, they are competitive. But if they get behind, or have some misfortune (penalties, turnovers, etc) they have a very hard time overcoming any type of adversity.

When the Gophers' 1st drive fizzled out, and NW went in and scored, it just seemed as if the Gophers collectively said "we're not going to win today."

Obviously, a lot of that is on the players. But you cannot absolve the coaches of all responsibility.

A game like today shows how far the Gophers have to go to be a real factor in the B1G.

This does not help with the fan base. It's like the 13 year old kid who is being told repeatedly that he has to wait another 3 years to get his drivers' license. for that kid, those 3 years seem like an eternity. For a Gopher FB fan, the idea that it might be another 2 or 3 years before they Gophers are relevant again seems like eternity.

Can't wait till we beat Alabama and Oregon in bowl games or go 9-3 so we can fire him and start all over.

When the Gophers' 1st drive fizzled out, and NW went in and scored, it just seemed as if the Gophers collectively said "we're not going to win today."

Hard to say, but you have to wonder if the players are buying into the "year zero" and "lack of talent" speak from the coach. I don't know why Fleck had to go there - it's not like losing a bunch of games this year gets us a higher draft pick. Tanking in the NFL makes sense, college no so much.

Hard to say, but you have to wonder if the players are buying into the "year zero" and "lack of talent" speak from the coach. I don't know why Fleck had to go there - it's not like losing a bunch of games this year gets us a higher draft pick. Tanking in the NFL makes sense, college no so much.

So it wasn't a problem last week, but now it's a problem this week? Come on.

Well at least the result fits the graph PJ held up. Now lets hope that continues next week!

We can all bitch, but he gets a couple years to prove himself.

Today was a disaster, but our offense has zero playmakers. Next week could be the most lopsided axe game in a long long time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say we have zero playmakers but clearly we don't have enough of them. Rodney is one imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do some of you equate the year zero comments with tanking? They are not the same thing in any sense of the word. It really is amazing that some can't seem to figure this out. Or maybe they can and just are looking for a reason to be negative.

In response to the person saying it isn't fair to pin this all on Croft, you are correct, but he wasn't good today. When you have more interceptions than completions the QB is at least part of the problem. The O-Line is decimated by injury and the guys that played did not do well, and the RB's couldn't hang onto the ball. The entire offense was bad and fair or not the QB gets a majority of the blame or credit. When you go 2-11 for 43 yards with 3 picks and most of those yards come on the first play then you didn't have a good day at QB.

Why do some of you equate the year zero comments with tanking? They are not the same thing in any sense of the word. It really is amazing that some can't seem to figure this out. Or maybe they can and just are looking for a reason to be negative.

In response to the person saying it isn't fair to pin this all on Croft, you are correct, but he wasn't good today. When you have more interceptions than completions the QB is at least part of the problem. The O-Line is decimated by injury and the guys that played did not do well, and the RB's couldn't hang onto the ball. The entire offense was bad and fair or not the QB gets a majority of the blame or credit. When you go 2-11 for 43 yards with 3 picks and most of those yards come on the first play then you didn't have a good day at QB.

Like I said in the Croft thread, are we watching the same games?

How was the goal line INT on Croft? How was Still not running his route all on Croft? How is Drew dropping a well thrown pass Croft's fault?

Sure, he's not lighting it up, but this game was a story of turnovers, bad offensive play, and bad run defense.

Fleck has said plenty about lack of talent and doing things his way. He won't sacrifice doing this his way (culture) so we can win a couple more games. I can see how players might view it as a lost year. So when they get down early, they give up (much like Nebraska did last week).

NW ran two guys off the edge on nearly every play, there was never an opportunity for him to keep.

Like I said in the Croft thread, are we watching the same games?

How was the goal line INT on Croft? How was Still not running his route all on Croft? How is Drew dropping a well thrown pass Croft's fault?

Sure, he's not lighting it up, but this game was a story of turnovers, bad offensive play, and bad run defense.

I have been banging the WR problem drum for many years, Croft absolutely has next to no help in that area and that definitely compounds all the problems in the passing game. I still don't think he is a very good QB and probably never will be but time will tell I guess. Didn't see the goal line pick, the one to Still was definitely a miscommunication between the two of them and probably Still's fault but tough to say for sure. The last pick I will put on Croft though because that was a poorly thrown ball into double coverage and an easy pick.

The offense is in need of some major upgrades across the board. Hopefully Fleck can find those guys on the recruiting trail. Douglas looked like he had a chance to be a good receiver before he got hurt so that is a definite positive sign that they might be able to find the players.

Fleck has said plenty about lack of talent and doing things his way. He won't sacrifice doing this his way (culture) so we can win a couple more games. I can see how players might view it as a lost year. So when they get down early, they give up (much like Nebraska did last week).

Again though....none of that means the same as tanking. Tanking means they are trying to lose which they 100% are not. Saying he won't sacrifice his culture in order to win more games doesn't mean they are doing things that are stopping them for winning, it is more just explaining his philosophy and was probably in large part related to the Croft suspension early in the season. Meaning he won't let players slide just based on who they are or what they mean to the team on the field.

Its interesting how the Croft and Fleck arguments are somewhat parallel. Some feel he just needs more time, others sense he's in over his head and doesn't have the skills. Maybe one or both are right, or wrong. Time will tell.

Again though....none of that means the same as tanking. Tanking means they are trying to lose which they 100% are not. Saying he won't sacrifice his culture in order to win more games doesn't mean they are doing things that are stopping them for winning, it is more just explaining his philosophy and was probably in large part related to the Croft suspension early in the season. Meaning he won't let players slide just based on who they are or what they mean to the team on the field.

It's not tanking in the same way as NBA teams do (Mark Madsen shooting a bunch of 3-pointers) but it is in the sense that they are not doing everything that they could be doing to win. I am sure Fleck would reply that that's at least partially true, as he has even admitted he doesn't care about the wins this year. He is looking to the future. So the players know that the wins this year don't matter to the coach.

Far and away the most puzzling aspect of the PJ Fleck era is the contrast in play calling from week to week. Croft sets a school record for QB rushing one week. Glen Mason was just as surprised as me we don't even ever set it up this week?
IF coaching is not going to explain to Croft on third down we need a first down, then I may go crazy. He runs out of bounds time and time again with the possible opportunity of getting a first down. He runs off the field fully aware we are now punting...not how I'd do it.

In our first drive of the game...we caught lightning in a bottle and completed a 40 yard pass. We are in field goal range. It should be a close game...DO NOT put your QB in a position to get sacked and take you out of a 3-0 lead to start the game with the wind at your back. Did we even have a running play at that point? Not being up 3-0 or getting a first down running, set the tone for the entire game.

McCrary averages 6 yards a carry....could he get some carries? Do we have any short, quick passes in the play book? Slants, passes to the tight ends, passes to the backs?

This is on the previous staff...how do you recruit wide receivers who can't catch? Yes our best receiver who is hurt has made some plays...he's dropped almost as many as he has caught. We have nobody who bails the QB out with a great catch of a badly thrown ball. We drop the on target passes and run the wrong routes. Does it matter how fast guys are if they can't catch? Matt Simon might be a great coach, but teaching guys to catch can't be where you start.
I could be wrong but I remember Eric Carter being able to catch. I know it's year zero and he's a senior but...

A million things on offense that make no sense.

Defensively, you watch Wisconsin. The linebackers fill the hole where the ball is and make the tackle. Our guys have almost always penetrated too deep, guessed wrong and there is nobody unless the safeties make the play.
Almost everything I see is not players. You can use them as excuses but we just don't put guys in the situations to be successful.

We started the second half with an end around pass. We have not in any way set the play up. The ball carrier/passer is looping 12 yards deep...wonder what he might be looking to do? Had we run the end around earlier and gained some yardage, THEN you can set up end around pass. You do not do it first!!!

50 million coaching what the heck are you thinkings?

If you can't make a team believe in themselves after spring football, 15 hours a day in August and through 11 games....that's concerning. But I don't think that's it..."this play again...we have run 8 times and lost yardage every time...why this play?" is what I see. Same defensively...coach make some adjustments, please. We can't stop them in this defensive call.

Cashman makes plays!! Why isn't he put in a position to do so more often. The other Huff made plays last year...he doesn't play this year. Devers made plays last year. These guys and others can't get on the field this year.

He said immediately after the game, 5 turnovers. That turn into 35 pts the other way. The other thing he said is about how the players respond next week. Whenever Fleck or the coaches demanded more out of their players in practice, they have delivered during games. Let's hope that holds true against WI.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Drove down for a miserable day. In the stadium it seemed over after we fumbled down by seven.
The bonehead play of the day was #8 taking a huge loss on what appeared in the stadium to be an option pass. First play from scrimmage after halftime. That is a coaching issue. They handled the weather and we didn't. Next weekend will be a depressing spectacle.

Five turnovers lead to thirty-five points? That says several things.

1. Our defense went into hibernation and gave up. We couldn't even have one of those drives end in a field goal?

2. Our runners can't hang onto the ball. The weather was not that much of a factor because Northwestern held on to the ball just fine.

3. Our receivers can't catch the ball and Northwestern obviously practiced the tip drill this week.

This team didn't fall apart this week because to fall apart you have to have been together in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He said immediately after the game, 5 turnovers. That turn into 35 pts the other way. The other thing he said is about how the players respond next week. <b>Whenever Fleck or the coaches demanded more out of their players in practice, they have delivered during games. </b>Let's hope that holds true against WI.

Okey Dokey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not tanking in the same way as NBA teams do (Mark Madsen shooting a bunch of 3-pointers) but it is in the sense that they are not doing everything that they could be doing to win. I am sure Fleck would reply that that's at least partially true, as he has even admitted he doesn't care about the wins this year. He is looking to the future. So the players know that the wins this year don't matter to the coach.

DO NOT tell weather guy!

What was the adjustment made by Gopher Offense?

The adjustment was for Demry not to keep the ball.

There aren't a ton more adjustments you can possibly make if we can't throw the ball.

The adjustment was for Demry not to keep the ball.

There aren't a ton more adjustments you can possibly make if we can't throw the ball.

Use a TE. Use a RB to catch a ball.

Croft has proven he can throw the ball with touch when he a a bit of time. Didn't appear to make any type of adjustments.

He can be accurate if everything else on the play is perfect. He has a severe lack of arm strength, meaning he and the receiver have to be almost perfect on their timing. The time from decision to throw to ball arriving is more suited to D-2 football.

We have a bottom 10% OL, bottom 3% receivers and a bottom 1% QB, in my opinion.

Didn't you guys see his chart? Last week, we had the upward zag. This week is the downward zig.

These are just bumps (and bodies) on the road.

He said immediately after the game, 5 turnovers. That turn into 35 pts the other way. The other thing he said is about how the players respond next week. Whenever Fleck or the coaches demanded more out of their players in practice, they have delivered during games. Let's hope that holds true against WI.

Then this staff is the worst staff in the country.

COACHING STAFF: "Let's not work as hard this week or hold the players too accountable."

RESULT: Saturday beat down.

COACHING STAFF: "Let's get back to holding them to high standards. We're demanding more this week, and will be more diligent and specific with our coaching and what we'll expect."

said no coach ever.

Top Bottom