Mittelstadt Shines as Gophers Top Harvard, 4-2

Reaction score
The Gophers started quickly against a talented Harvard squad and never looked back, taking Friday’s series opener 4-2. It was an impressive performance against one of Minnesota’s most talented non-conference opponents.

“It’s a good win against a quality opponent,” said Don Lucia. “We knew the experience they had being in the Frozen Four a year ago. They’re a really good-skating team and they’ve got some dynamic players.”

Mittelstadt Shines

Coming into the season, expectations were sky-high for Casey Mittelstadt, the 8th overall pick in this year’s NHL draft. On Friday, the Eden Prairie native showed what makes him such an incredible talent with a couple dynamic plays. In the first period, Mittelstadt went cross-ice to Rem Pitlick for the tap-in to make it 2-0.

The one that will be on some highlight films from this year was Mittelstadt’s second period snipe on the rush. The release isn’t one you often at any level of hockey.

“[Ryan] Zuhlsdorf made a nice play on the breakout and kind of gave me some room to get some ice and take a rush and, for me, that’s usually where I play best,” said Mittelstadt. “I made a move, got a lucky shot and it went in.”

Closing Out

With a 4-0 lead heading into the third, the Gophers were in good shape, but last weekend’s collapse at Michigan had to be in the minds of the players. Despite two third period goals for Harvard, the Gophers hung on for the victory.

“It was definitely good to hold on to that one,” said Rem Pitlick. “Obviously last weekend was not good and it felt awesome for us to close out the win there and not have some crazy comeback like last weekend.”

Killing Penalties

Minnesota took a couple penalties late in the game, but were able to kill them and preserve the victory. On the night, the Gophers killed all four of their penalties.

“We looked like we were in pretty good shape then we took some penalties late, but our penalty kill’s been good and they were dialed in,” said Lucia.

By The Numbers

28 Shots for Harvard, one more than Minnesota. Eric Schierhorn was stellar in the win.

7 Blocked shots for defensemen Sam Rossini and Tyler Nanne. Each blue liner also recorded an assist.

7935 Fans in attendance. It was a thin turnout for a matchup between two top-15 teams.

Three Stars

3 Sam Rossini had an assist and led the Gophers with four blocked shots.

2 Brent Gates scored Minnesota’s first goal and added four shots.

1 Casey Mittelstadt tallied a goal and an assist in the victory.

What’s Next

The Gophers will go for the sweep tomorrow at 7pm. The game can be seen Fox Sports North PLUS or listening to Wally and Frank on 1130 KTLK-AM is always a good option.

A sweep over Harvard would be glorious

A 2-1 OT victory coupled with some damn fine hockey in the last two periods made it a fun night and weekend at the ol' arena. 50 shots on goal for the Gophers and Sheehy from Gates for the winner.

Top Bottom