Williams Arena Atmosphere

bfast

Reaction score
It goes without saying that a winning program means both bigger and louder crowds.

We already have things like the raised floor/old gym backdrop, typical student section with a few unique quirks, typical band/cheerleader stuff.

Would you add anything to the Williams Arena atmosphere or game-night tradition to make it a tougher place to play?

Gold out t-shirts? New fan chants/cheers? Move or expand the student section? Make slight arena renovations? Leave as is and let the play on the court decide it?

Thinking along the lines of the "ski-u-mah" chant football introduced.

Good topic, and one we absolutely need to improve upon. Our student section has shown up in very good numbers, this year in particular. And yes, they have the barn animals, which is fun, but that is where the creativity of the student section ends. Sure they have the "left, right, left right" shtick, and a few big heads of Dwight Schrute and Mike Tyson, but not much more.

It's easy to point to the student section traditions at the blue bloods (KU, Duke, etc.) but that is not realistic. Instead there are many smaller student sections with great traditions. I like to point to Utah State as they have some great cheers that the fans REALLY get behind:

Go Gophers!!

Arizona State's "Curtain of Distraction" is creative:

Go Gophers!!

Northern Iowa has its "Dance Interlude" every game:

Go Gophers!!

Good topic, and one we absolutely need to improve upon. Our student section has shown up in very good numbers, this year in particular

It was less than half full Wed. night, prob. better than normal for that level of opponent, but not good IMO.

Maryland's student section does "flash mobs" quite frequently:

Go Gophers!!

It was less than half full Wed. night, prob. better than normal for that level of opponent, but not good IMO.

Good point. For this year I was thinking amount of student tickets sold, but you are right, I hope they start actually showing up.

Go Gophers!!

And I've posted this before, but this pre-game atmosphere puts Duke, KU, etc. to shame:

Go Gophers!!

Good topic, and one we absolutely need to improve upon. Our student section has shown up in very good numbers, this year in particular. And yes, they have the barn animals, which is fun, but that is where the creativity of the student section ends. Sure they have the "left, right, left right" shtick, and a few big heads of Dwight Schrute and Mike Tyson, but not much more.

It's easy to point to the student section traditions at the blue bloods (KU, Duke, etc.) but that is not realistic. Instead there are many smaller student sections with great traditions. I like to point to Utah State as they have some great cheers that the fans REALLY get behind:

Go Gophers!!

wow, I typically hate this cheer, because it is usually associated with forcing soccer on Americans, but to see it in a college basketball setting was refreshing.

Seems to be mostly organic/student section driven stuff on the wish list so far.

I'd like to see the student seating realigned to move the Barnyard out from behind the basket and to a prime spot behind the benches, like what Illinois just did with the renovation of State Farm Center. Not only would the energy of the students create a more intimidating atmosphere, but having the best seats in the house incentivizes students to buy season tickets, then show up. But there's no way in hell the U's administration is going to sacrifice revenue by kicking people out of the most expensive seats they've probably owned for generations. That's never how they've operated and I don't suspect they would start now.

I'd like to see the student seating realigned to move the Barnyard out from behind the basket and to a prime spot behind the benches, like what Illinois just did with the renovation of State Farm Center. Not only would the energy of the students create a more intimidating atmosphere, but having the best seats in the house incentivizes students to buy season tickets, then show up. But there's no way in hell the U's administration is going to sacrifice revenue by kicking people out of the most expensive seats they've probably owned for generations. That's never how they've operated and I don't suspect they would start now.

Nor should they. The student section where it is, is fine. You are right there where the opponent shoots at the basket for 1/2 the game.

Go Gophers!!

Thats such a high school chant. I'll pass on that one as well as the winning team, losing team chant.

Perhaps the Senior citizens can start a drum corp with their knitting needles. [emoji44]

I’m almost positive Utah State fans did the “I Believe That We Will Win” chant well before it USA soccer fans did with the latter lifting it off the former. As for Williams Arena atmosphere, I don’t know that we need a signature gimmick as much as more fans in general and those fans making as much noise as possible. Wins, or at least fans thinking we can beat anyone at home on any given day, will build that back, but it’s a multi year project. Last season and a 2017-18 that meets or exceeds expectations won’t alone make the difference. Attendance and atmosphere, which came up under Musselman and lasted through Clem while surviving Madison, took a dive post academic scandal that has never fully recovered. That won’t get fixed overnight.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socc...rendiest-chant-in-sports-began-040228934.html

Just to clarify "I believe that we will win": From Navy Academy Prep School to the Navel Academy to the world.

Before it became a rallying cry for enthusiastic college basketball student sections or hopeful U.S. soccer fans, the trendiest chant in American sports began as something much less grandiose.

It was the brainchild of a Naval Academy Prep School student who never expected it to spread across his own campus, let alone across the nation.

Tasked with inventing a cheer for his 50-member platoon in fall 1998, Jay Rodriguez conceived of the now-famous "I believe that we will win" chant and taught it to his peers. Classmates say it was such an instant hit that members of other platoons joined in the rest of the school year whenever Rodriguez led the chant at Navy Prep basketball and football games.

"The first time we heard it, we all thought, 'This is awesome,'" said John Reeves, who attended Navy Prep and the Naval Academy with Rodriguez. "Jay was really good at coming up with stuff like that because he was very intelligent and very creative. It caught on like wildfire."

To the bewilderment and amusement of those who know its humble origin, "I believe that we will win" has steadily gained popularity the past 15 years, evolving from a platoon chant, to a Navy football tradition, to a staple of sporting events nationwide.

It started with Rodriguez's Navy Prep class bringing the chant to the Naval Academy and teaching it to the rest of the brigade. Over the next decade, students at other high schools and colleges caught glimpses of 4,000 Midshipmen jumping up and down in the bleachers performing the chant and introduced versions of it at their own basketball and football games. By 2010, rooting sections for several Major League Soccer franchises decided to borrow the chant after noticing the fun that fans at schools like Utah State and San Diego State were having performing it before games.

I’m almost positive Utah State fans did the “I Believe That We Will Win” chant well before it USA soccer fans did with the latter lifting it off the former. As for Williams Arena atmosphere, I don’t know that we need a signature gimmick as much as more fans in general and those fans making as much noise as possible. Wins, or at least fans thinking we can beat anyone at home on any given day, will build that back, but it’s a multi year project. Last season and a 2017-18 that meets or exceeds expectations won’t alone make the difference. Attendance and atmosphere, which came up under Musselman and lasted through Clem while surviving Madison, took a dive post academic scandal that has never fully recovered. That won’t get fixed overnight.

Would help to get younger crowd

Definitely envious of these student sections along the side of the court. Maryland fills one end of the court and both sides with student section. That being said with how empty the student section has been for the in the recent past not sure having empty seats along the sidelines would be a good look either. However, Students may be more inclined to come if they have better seats.

Would be awesome to have a more consistent high level atmosphere throughout the game as when the older folks along the sides get loud it is one of the best atmospheres ive witnessed. Hopefully making a run at the B1G title will energize everyone!

Regarding Williams Arena atmosphere, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bill Musselman, may his soul rest in peace. I don't think I've ever seen Williams Arena more jazzed and excited than during the Gopher's pre-game during his tenure. It was interesting to watch players from the other teams stand around and watch them do there thing. Of course, there were some problems and pitfalls during those years that we would rather not have repeated.
Keep in mind, in those days, the student section was anywhere in the balcony.

Regarding Williams Arena atmosphere, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bill Musselman, may his soul rest in peace. I don't think I've ever seen Williams Arena more jazzed and excited than during the Gopher's pre-game during his tenure. It was interesting to watch players from the other teams stand around and watch them do there thing. Of course, there were some problems and pitfalls during those years that we would rather not have repeated.
Keep in mind, in those days, the student section was anywhere in the balcony.

Long gone are the days when a guy could get a full scholarship for doing ball tricks on a unicycle. Great fun, though. Good memories from the arena in those days when we could pack almost 19000 in the place.

Top Bottom