Gophers in the hunt for a QB

It is so refreshing to finally have a coach who targets a highly coveted player and actually get him to commit.

This is really refreshing.

Hopefully, this will entice other players like Curtis Dunlop, and those who are already committed to hold firm in their commitments.

When was the last time the Gophers got a high caliber QB like Viramontes?

It is so refreshing to finally have a coach who targets a highly coveted player and actually get him to commit.

Dude- love the optimism from you which is effusive. However, a little hyperbole here? We haven't had highly coveted players commit before? Most of our signees are coveted by somebody else, many of them with much more impressive offer lists than Vic's current offerings. I'm glad he's coming, Morgan needs some competition. I'm still ticked we didn't have a backup HS plan though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is huge for recruiting, go PJ.

Dude- love the optimism from you which is effusive. However, a little hyperbole here? We haven't had highly coveted players commit before? Most of our signees are coveted by somebody else, many of them with much more impressive offer lists than Vic's current offerings. I'm glad he's coming, Morgan needs some competition. I'm still ticked we didn't have a backup HS plan though.

This is a start. You can't recruit unless you have something to offer in terms personnel on top of facilities. We never would have entice highly prized HS QBs when we lack a receiving corps and and have a thin O-Line.

I think if the Gophers start winning games consistently, they will get attention. This could be the hire that we look back and possibly see as a turning point. It won't be overnight. We are moving in the right direction.

The last time a transfer QB from California with fantastic hair like that made this much news, it was Sunshine Ronnie Bass!

11311-309x316.jpg

I'm still ticked we didn't have a backup HS plan though.

At the beginning of the season next year, Morgan will have 4 years left. Vic will have 3 years left. Fleck is hot on Hank Bachmeier for 2019. Should have some depth at QB shortly if all goes to plan.

They're probably going to sign a high school QB still.

They're probably going to sign a high school QB still.

I figure as much but will it be reflective of the desperation of signing someone late- someone for the sake of getting a warm body that might be able to throw?

At the beginning of the season next year, Morgan will have 4 years left. Vic will have 3 years left. Fleck is hot on Hank Bachmeier for 2019. Should have some depth at QB shortly if all goes to plan.

That's not adequate depth for a dual option team. Many teams in the big 10 had to use a third QB at some time this year. Who's ours next year without a new recruit?

I figure as much but will it be reflective of the desperation of signing someone late- someone for the sake of getting a warm body that might be able to throw?

Viramontes and the other 2 QBs they offered are all rated higher than Armstrong, so I'm not really sure it's desperation or just finding a 'warm body'

Viramontes and the other 2 QBs they offered are all rated higher than Armstrong, so I'm not really sure it's desperation or just finding a 'warm body'

I agree on VV- as for the HS offerings that doesn't necessarily translate into signing obviously. Hopefully one sees the light though.

It is a matter of VV a better fit overall.

Hopefully, this will entice other players like Curtis Dunlop, and those who are already committed to hold firm in their commitments.

When was the last time the Gophers got a high caliber QB like Viramontes?
M Gray

So look for him to be uncoached. Switched to an offense that doesn’t fit his skill set. Switch to a new coach and back to an offense that fits his skill set. Moved positions anyways because quarterback isn’t his nfl position even though his new position isn’t his nfl position anyways. Then have terrible quarterbacks a la max Shortell replace him. Then have terrible quarterback play for about 3 years following his departure. Then 2 years of mediocre play. Then back to worse than him again.

After PJ Fleck received a JUCO commitment for QB, the Gophers are at 24 scholies for 2018. This leaves one for the max allowed for this class.

It looks like his high priority now are OLs and a HS QB.

I would think the remaining scholie that would have gone to Zack Annexstad (chose to PWO) may go IMG Academy team mate Curtis Dunlop if he wants it. That is a selfless individual if I ever see one!

Potentially, does he have up to three additional scholies available if the Gophers lose players from the previous classed due to transfers and medical retirements. So, potentially we are looking at 27-28 total scholie players for 2018. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

He still wants a HS QB commitment, and then the remaining are JUCO OLs.

Maybe Zack Annexstad counts as his HS commitment.

So here are the players the Gophers are losing to transfers/retirements that people have talked about so far:

Austin Schirck (transferred earlier)
Demry Croft
Rashad Still
Hunter Register
Melvin Holland Jr (Grad xfer)
Everett Williams (Grad xfer)
Nick Connelly (Medical retirement)

That is seven, and possibly more to come.

With the maximum allowable additional scholies, the Gopher will be under the 85 total scholies if you count the transfers/retirements minus the three additional allowable scholies. AM I correct? I don't quite get it.

So there is the reason why he is also shaking up the PWOs (purely speculative) to get in quality players to make up the deficits of bodies. I'd say it is a great time to PWO if you want to be a Gopher badly and you are willing to forego an FCS scholie to do what you have always dreamed of.

So, he has seven quality PWO commitments so far:

Zack Annexstad - Bradenton, FL (IMG Academy)
Pro-Style Quarterback, Ht 6-2.5, Wt 202, 40 4.91. 0.8125 (0.86)
https://247sports.com/player/zack-annexstad-84892

Micah Roane - Chaska, MN (Chaska)
Weak-Side Defensive End, Ht 6-4, Wt 235, 0.7497
https://247sports.com/player/micah-roane-46042657

Michael Vojvodich - Fairfax, VA (Woodson)
Long Snapper, Ht 6-2, Wt 195
https://247sports.com/player/michael-vojvodich-46047877

Trevor Oppedal - Blue Earth, MN (Blue Earth Area Senior)
Offensive Tackle, Ht 6-7, Wt 275, 0.7698
https://247sports.com/player/trevor-oppedal-46047878

Jack McNeil - Madison, WI (Edgewood)
Tight End, Ht 6' 5", Wt 245 lbs
https://247sports.com/player/jack-mcneil-46039069

Cordell Tinch - Green Bay, WI (Bayport)
Wider Receiver, Ht 6' 2", Wt 175 lbs

Jack Kern - Eau Claire, WI (Memorial)
Defensive Tackle, Ht 6' 3", 275 lbs

We may be adding one more to the list:

Anotnio Montero - Eden Prairie MN
Outside Linebacker, 6' 0", 210 lbs, 0.7898

We're not at 24 because some will enroll early and I think 3 will count toward 2017 and not 2018. I believe we can sign up to 28, so that leaves 4 more for 2018.

Yes, that's never happened before.

"Finally". :rolleyes:

You are right. He was rated 0.9143, one of five four stars in Brewster 2008 super class.

That was only nine years ago.

The class that produced Jew-Jew Edwards.

VV sure has a powerful throwing arm boy can he run.

He'll be tested next season against must faster stronger B1G DLs and DBs of the likes of Wisconsin, NW, Iowa... I am looking forward to seeing him develop into a Gophers QB next season.

He does pass the eye test. But, as we all now too well...

[video]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4042376/59cab8f066560b1c3095bca4[/video]

That's not adequate depth for a dual option team. Many teams in the big 10 had to use a third QB at some time this year. Who's ours next year without a new recruit?

My guess is that QB room looks as follows:

1a. Vic Viramontes
1b. Tanner Morgan
3. Seth Green (if not transferring out)
4. Zack Annexstad (PWO)

Top Bottom