Gophers in the hunt for a QB

It is too bad that the Demry Croft story is upstaging any news about the Viramontes OV.

Has anyone heard how the visit is going?

Wonder what Viramontes thinks about the Demry blow-up & transfer news? Would he think "well, the spot is open for me to take it, if I want it" or would he think "jeez, Fleck really treated his starting QB this year poorly" ?

Wonder what Viramontes thinks about the Demry blow-up & transfer news? Would he think "well, the spot is open for me to take it, if I want it" or would he think "jeez, Fleck really treated his starting QB this year poorly" ?

Hard to say how much he's aware of it during his visit.

VV:"Oh, hey, I've been reading twitter, and the old QB is gone, what happened?"

Fleck: "Oh, never you mind about that"

VV: "Sounds pretty shady. I don't care if the job is open and I can start right away and play here for three years. I'm done. Off to Mississippi! Good bye!"

Remember Bobby Cox?? From Walla Walla Washington.. On the cover of SI as the best football player in America 1957. Let's get the best guy available and forget all the rest of this BS.

Remember Bobby Cox?? From Walla Walla Washington.. On the cover of SI as the best football player in America 1957. Let's get the best guy available and forget all the rest of this BS.

No kidding. I wish Demry the best and all, but this is probably for the better.
Go Gophers!

It is what it is, and it is a crying shame that it had to happen at the end of the season with seniors wrapping up their careers. It puts a damper in the celebrations and the team banquet.

It is about team play and being a team leader.

The QB position is too important to have drama attached to it.

I wonder how the Gophers leadership council handled one of their own.

PJ Fleck is cleaning house and wants his players to buy in. There is no shame in transferring out if players feel they don't fit.

We know that Hank Bachmeier has family connections in MN (grand parents). I believe he comes to visit with his family in the summers. I don't know how often. He took a visit with the Gophers on September 30. At that time, he was strongly considering MN. He has a sister who has a medical issue that he is very close to.

https://herosports.com/college-football/hank-bachmeier-recruiting-minnesota-considering-gophers-ahah

The buzz is that UCLA and Chip Kelly should make him a priority target.

https://herosports.com/college-football/2018-2019-quarterback-recruiting-ucla-chip-kelly-ahah

What about the Schlicte QB at Mankato State? Perhaps the division1 coaches here and others missed on that guy. He looks like he has a good arm and makes plays. Gophers staff should take a look at his tape? Give him an evaluation at least. I thought he was a player coming our of HS. Perhaps he is even better now
What are the rules from D2 to D1, can a a QB like Schlicte move up. Cannot be any worse film than most JUCO QB they will look at.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

You're joking, right? The 20-20 hindsight mistake is that Fleck stuck with Croft as long as he did during these last two games. Green should have been brought in to give him some exposure. Even if Green isn't a starting QB next year, he's going to be either our 2nd or 3rd string QB. It would have been nice to have given him some game time exposure.

:rolleyes:

I remember his wife, Bronco. Woo-hoo!!! :p

What about the Schlicte QB at Mankato State? Perhaps the division1 coaches here and others missed on that guy. He looks like he has a good arm and makes plays. Gophers staff should take a look at his tape? Give him an evaluation at least. I thought he was a player coming our of HS. Perhaps he is even better now
What are the rules from D2 to D1, can a a QB like Schlicte move up. Cannot be any worse film than most JUCO QB they will look at.

If our starting quarterback next year is from Mankato State I’m abandoning this program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say how much he's aware of it during his visit.

VV:"Oh, hey, I've been reading twitter, and the old QB is gone, what happened?"
VV:"You claim to have an offense that is balanced, but only attempt 9 passes in a game when you are up against the best run D in all the nation?"

Fleck: "Oh, never you mind about that"

VV: "Sounds pretty shady. I don't care if the job is open and I can start right away and play here for three years. I'm done. Off to Mississippi! Good bye!"

Added one for you.

Viramontes: Looking for an opportunity to play right away in a style that fits.

"I have a visit set up with Kansas for (Dec. 9)," Viramontes said. "The head coach (David Beaty) came out to see me this week and talk with my parents so I'm excited to get out there and see the school close up.

"I don't have any other trip dates set yet but I plan to visit Minnesota and New Mexico. Coach (PJ) Fleck is recruiting me from Minnesota and it's cool having the head coach involved. I have a lot of interest in their program and have heard good things so I think once my playoff schedule comes out, I'll get those other dates set."

Viramontes will have three years to play three after he transfers and will be able to enroll in time for Spring ball as well.

"I'm looking for an opportunity to play right away," Viramontes said. "I know there are no guarantees and nothing will be handed to me but I just want an opportunity to compete for the job.

"The system fit is important too. I want to play in an offense that suits me as a dual threat quarterback. All the schools recruiting me run an offense that I think I can play in so I'm looking forward to going through the process this time around and finding the best fit for me."

https://247sports.com/Article/Talented-JUCO-QB-Victor-Viramontes-Looking-To-Visit-Kansas-Minnesota-and-New-Mexico--109813851

247 has him coming to Minnesota (hot off the press):

Victor Viramontes
Norco
(Norco, CA)
DUAL / 6-2 / 230 0.8778
Interests:
7 Schools
11/27/17 11:51AM

MINNESOTA

https://247sports.com/player/victor-viramontes-81179

I have no idea how much gamesmanship there is to their predictions, but the two guys who say he is 100% Minnesota are right 90 and 100 per cent of the time on Minnesota predictions...if I read it right.

I've heard the QB from St. Thomas is pretty good, maybe the Gophers should give him a try :)
No way, Para was already here and left. People can bag on it but Schlicte was better than anything Gophers trotted out at QB this season. The guy can pass and make good decisions, better than what we have now. I'm of the opinion he coyld do it against better competition. Moot point cause it's not like Slichte is gonna bail on scholarship aide to walk on for the Gophers. He is a better player than what was coming out of high school, almost like JUCO development.

They just updated their predictions - Klye Goblirsch 11/26 9:17 AM; Steve Wilfong 11:51 AM today.

No way, Para was already here and left. People can bag on it but Schlicte was better than anything Gophers trotted out at QB this season. The guy can pass and make good decisions, better than what we have now. I'm of the opinion he coyld do it against better competition. Moot point cause it's not like Slichte is gonna bail on scholarship aide to walk on for the Gophers. He is a better player than what was coming out of high school, almost like JUCO development.

Schlicte wasn't even the best quarterback in his conference.

You can change your prediction at anytime, so %s are a bit misleading. However the vatiobdl guy (Wilftong) has a 42 day average, meaning he made his correct predictions 42 days ahead of time on average (I think). Trending the right way...

Let's hope so that it come to fruition and he does commit.

Did I hear that Fleck also intends on recruiting a HS QB in addition?

https://247sports.com/player/victor-viramontes-81179

I have no idea how much gamesmanship there is to their predictions, but the two guys who say he is 100% Minnesota are right 90 and 100 per cent of the time on Minnesota predictions...if I read it right.

Those predictions are worth crap- as soon as they hear different they'll change their crystal ball status to another team and the prediction of Minnesota goes away- and isn't included in their stats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

247 has him coming to Minnesota (hot off the press):

Victor Viramontes
Norco
(Norco, CA)
DUAL / 6-2 / 230 0.8778
Interests:
7 Schools
11/27/17 11:51AM

MINNESOTA

This would be some good news. I don't think it will be a local talker for non hardcore fans (MPR even talked about Croft transferring this morning), but it will make a lot of us feel better. It should also help with the last few weeks of recruiting.

Best College QB, not Best Football Player

Top Bottom