Gophers in the hunt for a QB

Maybe Beau Baldwin will offer him at Oregon State (once officially hired)? He also used dual threat QB's at Eastern Washington. In fact, one of his best actually transferred, and started, at Oregon as a graduate transfer, a couple years ago if I recall correctly.

LOL do you guys really think that this guy is going to save Minnesota football?

I hope he has a great visit, we show him a great time ... and he makes the best decision for himself, whether that be Minnesota, Kansas, Miss, or whomever.

And yes, let me make my agenda clear: I'd much rather have a Minnesota player at QB, over some import from California, Texas, or Florida. That's purely my opinion, which doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

LOL do you guys really think that this guy is going to save Minnesota football?

I hope he has a great visit, we show him a great time ... and he makes the best decision for himself, whether that be Minnesota, Kansas, Miss, or whomever.

And yes, let me make my agenda clear: I'd much rather have a Minnesota player at QB, over some import from California, Texas, or Florida. That's purely my opinion, which doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Nothing is guaranteed, but at least this coaching staff is not afraid to assertively go after bigger name QBs.

As we all know too well, on paper this kid looks good. If he does sign with the Gophers, he may be a lights out signee and our passing game starts clicking on all cylinders. Building up our passing game may be a three year project.

And you are right, it could very well be in the end a MN native QB may play a major role. Who knows. I like that we are aggressively trying in QB recruiting.

Very sensible, non emotional response hungan. Props to you for it, I respect that position just fine.

I believe we need to chase big name QB's to get one.

per Sid:

• The Gophers will enter next season still needing a long-term solution at quarterback, and coach P.J. Fleck said they’re working on that. “We are looking at all quarterbacks right now for 2018. I would like to be able to take more than one. … If it is a junior college quarterback, I usually don’t like to take guys who only have two years.”

http://www.startribune.com/third-down-success-has-boosted-vikings-offense/459995993/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The Gophers will enter next season still needing a long-term solution at quarterback, and coach P.J. Fleck said they’re working on that. “We are looking at all quarterbacks right now for 2018. I would like to be able to take more than one. … If it is a junior college quarterback, I usually don’t like to take guys who only have two years.”

http://www.startribune.com/third-down-success-has-boosted-vikings-offense/459995993/

Go Gophers!!

Since he's said they aren't gonna be worried about winning for a season or two anyway that makes a lot of sense. For him and any QB that doesn't want to wait until '19 or '20 to be competitive.

I bet there are a lot of football scholarship offers to kids without the financial wherewithal. The academy's reputation hangs on the enrollment of high caliber of athletes into their program.

If you scroll down on the tuition page, they plainly say they do not offer scholarships (at this time). But they do have a limited amount of financial aid.

$72k is a wad of cash no doubt, but you're paying for the whole kit & caboodle: private school, private coaching, housing, and meal plan.

It's an unabashed sports factory, and proud of it. You pay, and they place (your son or daughter into a college athletic program).

Somebody must be footing the bills for those who are unable to afford it..

He should pick us over Kansas, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, UNLV, New Mexico and Ole Miss.

I believe we need to chase big name QB's to get one.

With the Proviso that the 'big name' QB fits the system, and is someone who will legitimately consider MN as a destination. I guess I am arguing for a targeted approach, as opposed to just throwing out offers at any HS QB who puts up big numbers. Needs to be the right QB for the program. I am sure there are big name QB's out there whose skill set does not fit what MN is looking for, or who simply -for whatever reason - would not consider MN as a possible school.

Looks like a good running QB and an adequate thrower except for giving up more Ints than optimal at times? Hope we have an OL that'll help him out by then if he beats out D.C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody must be footing the bills for those who are unable to afford it..

Sure, boosters. And probably companies pay for advertising at the stadium, etc.

Would guess though that most of the families are paying the full cost out of pocket. So, wealthy families.

He should pick us over Kansas, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, UNLV, New Mexico and Ole Miss.

He should ... if he feels Minnesota is a better fit for himself than the others mentioned. I mean, Coastal and Eastern? No chance, with P5 offers. UNLV is an interesting one, as they'll be playing in the Raiders new stadium and being in Las Vegas could be a "fun" experience. But otherwise, you'd like to think that realistically it's down to Minn, Kansas, and Miss.

If the recruiting "expert" is to be believed, then he either got a text from the player or Minn coaches that he had a great visit and committed this morning, or is just making a guess based on Kansas being such a lowly program.

But if he takes the visit in early Dec to Kansas, all bets are off. Kansas is a great school, will treat him to a good time at a basketball game (amazing environment), are investing heavily in upgrading football facilities, and might promise him to lead the Jayhawks out of their misery. Etc. You know how these recruiting visits work ...

Will we hear good news by next week? I don't see visits scheduled for Holton Ahlers or Matthew Baldwin.

Hopefully, he sees a fit between PJ's offensive scheme with his style of play. The new facilities also should have some influence.

No one is the savior. We need talent upgrades and depth everywhere though.

I don’t know what you mean that Viramontes lost out at Cal. He transferred after a redshirt year when there were coaching changes. We all know it pains you that Croft might not be the answer.

Will we hear good news by next week? I don't see visits scheduled for Holton Ahlers or Matthew Baldwin.

Hopefully, he sees a fit between PJ's offensive scheme with his style of play. The new facilities also should have some influence.

Big visit date is December 8th. Entire class including PWOs are all visiting that weekend. I assume the staff will have their top targets visit that day as well.

He was recruited to play defense by many, e.g. Michigan per their people and so I've read. Lost out at Cal, transferred. He may or may not be savior. Until other facets are addressed won't matter.

I think bringing him in would be a significant upgrade at QB. He’s strong, fast and he put up good passing numbers this year.
I know what you are saying about the other position groups but I think WR is a position that will see some improvement for next year with the injured guys coming back plus Bateman.
Need to get at least one Juco O lineman too.

No one is the savior. We need talent upgrades and depth everywhere though.

I don’t know what you mean that Viramontes lost out at Cal. He transferred after a redshirt year when there were coaching changes. We all know it pains you that Croft might not be the answer.

At least get your facts straight. He's a three star across the board. I'm not a Croft-worshiper but he sure gets a lot of flack for things out of his control. It's absurd and people should know better.

Victor is an intriguing prospect. A faster, more physical (but shorter) Leidner. Can he throw at a power 5 level? Who knows.

Here's a link from mgo

http://mgoblog.com/content/hello-victor-viramontes

Top Bottom