Gophers in the hunt for a QB

To me, this last second QB offering seems like we are in panic mode.

The basic point is not that he did anything terrible, it was that he did not tell Fleck the truth about OSU recruiting him, and he told Fleck he had not been drinking but was suspended because underage drinking was happening and he should not have been there, when in fact he had been drinking.

I heard he tried to pick up a fumble instead of falling on it. Really, we are turning down 18-year olds who lie about drinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard he tried to pick up a fumble instead of falling on it. Really, we are turning down 18-year olds who lie about drinking?

Not going to sacrifice the culture for wins.

I guess he means it.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh oh, Ta'amu 2.0?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh oh, Ta'amu 2.0?

Yeah, that's interesting. Really wanted Ta'amu last year... Blue chipper Shea Patterson goes down, Ta'amu steps in and lights it up. Now they want this Viramontes guy. If Fleck really wants him we've got a recruiting battle.

Let's put the Armstrong talk to bed. Many Fleck supporters think Armstrong wasn't honest with the coaching staff, and many Fleck panic-ers think it's stupid that Fleck cooled on a guy just for drinking. We get it. Fact is, we'll probably never know the answer. Move on.

Let's put the Armstrong talk to bed. Many Fleck supporters think Armstrong wasn't honest with the coaching staff, and many Fleck panic-ers think it's stupid that Fleck cooled on a guy just for drinking. We get it. Fact is, we'll probably never know the answer. Move on.

I feel like it's ok to talk about a recruit that yesterday decommitted from us and signed with someone else. relax.

Speaking of culture ... guess what state's culture is completely different than Minnesota's? One answer I can think of: California.

I have a hard time seeing any California player choosing to come to Minnesota with other Power 5 offers elsewhere. Sorry ... some facts of life, like the COLD, SNOW, and FLATNESS, can't be hand-waived or negotiated with.

If Minnesota is his best offer, then fine.

Can someone explain this?
Zack Annexstad's composite ranking is 0.8125, while his other 247Sports score is 86.

I understand he had been playing more than his team mate Arthur Sitkowski for one reason or another.
https://247sports.com/player/zack-annexstad-84892

His team mate Arthur Sitkowski has lights out composite score of 0.9493.
https://247sports.com/player/artur-sitkowski-82608

Here's a comparison of mid-year stats between the two. Just based on that, Annexstad's clearly having the better year.
https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/925917161520066560

Can someone explain this?
Zack Annexstad's composite ranking is 0.8125, while his other 247Sports score is 86.

I understand he had been playing more than his team mate Arthur Sitkowski for one reason or another.
https://247sports.com/player/zack-annexstad-84892

His team mate Arthur Sitkowski has lights out composite score of 0.9493.
https://247sports.com/player/artur-sitkowski-82608

I'm wondering why Annexstad has only a PWO offer here while he has a scholarship at Cincinnati and a couple of other schools? Do you think a scholarship is offered to him if the other recent offers do not commit?

My hunch - watch the official visits on December 8.

I think he may be the "trump" card in the Gophers hope chest.

Your trump card is an unrecruited QB after a year of everyone talking about how the QB recruiting was going to be so much better?? If that's your trump card you aren't winning at bridge or in football.

Your trump card is an unrecruited QB after a year of everyone talking about how the QB recruiting was going to be so much better?? If that's your trump card you aren't winning at bridge or in football.

I'm not about to start trolling those who love to follow recruiting in a thread that is obviously about recruiting.

So let me leave it at this: Brewster was supposed to be this big time recruiter, right? Sorry, but there is more to college football than recruiting. Yes, it is a piece of the puzzle. Not the entire puzzle.

I'm not about to start trolling those who love to follow recruiting in a thread that is obviously about recruiting.

So let me leave it at this: Brewster was supposed to be this big time recruiter, right? Sorry, but there is more to college football than recruiting. Yes, it is a piece of the puzzle. Not the entire puzzle.

Wow there's more to college football than recruiting? You should start writing about this revolutionary idea you have!

Please chill out. Of course this won't replace the search for scholarship top flite QBs. I am only saying what if he blossoms like Eric Decker?

Please chill out. Of course this won't replace the search for scholarship top flite QBs. I am only saying what if he blossoms like Eric Decker?

Thanks Hungan but I don't really need to chill out- not upset or fuming about anything. Just expressing disappointment at the apparent inability of the new staff to improve the recruiting of the position the previous staff probably had the least success with. If he blossoms like Decker that's great- however I must have missed any previous references that would suggest this young man should have a similar trajectory in abilities as Eric. Otherwise for every Decker there are hundreds of players we won't remember in 20 years. Hope I'm misjudging the situation but even if we end up with this young man and the JUCO it's hard to look at the QB recruiting class as anything but disappointing

Didn't see it posted here but according to 247 Viramontes is visiting this weekend.

Losing Brennan Armstrong certainly does not make things easier to recruit this late in the game.

Let's hope for the best. Otherwise, use the extra scholie to shore up other positions of need. We've got Annexstad as a walk-on which makes it a little easier to bear the brunt.

Yeah, it is a disappointment if we cannot land a decent QB.

Even though some don't want to believe it, if you look at Armstrong's recruiting history, it's likely that Fleck was the one who wanted to go in a different direction.

Armstrong visited Virginia and held a Virginia offer for nearly 9 months without committing before getting a Minnesota offer and visiting. Then he was verbally committed here for nearly 9 months and hasn't received any new offers, even after he decommitted. Now he's back to Virginia.

I'm not sure if it matters that it was Fleck that wanted to move on due to red flags in Armstrong's recent history. So did the team not do its due diligence in vetting him initially? If there was potential concern why wasn't there a backup plan? Then again maybe there is and we're not privy to it- one can hope.

I don't know, but there seems to be a lot of question marks with Brennan Armstrong.

Establishing relationships with recruits long term is critical for positions like QB.

Iowa does a decent job. They have developed a relationship with DT Noah Shannon for quite a while, and then we convince him to commit. After some thought, he decommitted and went back to Iowa.

Capitalizing on family ties and other connections - recruiting is like networking for a job on steroids. PJ Fleck and staff worked dogged hours. My hunch is we don't see nearly half of all the hard work that a dedicated staff do. I get exhausted everytime I read what PJ does in one day.

Top Bottom