Gophers in the hunt for a QB

hungan1

Reaction score
Gophers in the hunt for a new QB for 2018

It looks like the Gophers are on overdrive to find a replacement for Brennan Armstrong who decommitted on 11/5:

Brevin White, Paraclete, Lancaster CA - PRO, 6' 2", 185 lbs, 0.8989, Princeton commit, 11/6 offer

Holton Ahlers, D H Conley, Greenville NC - DUAL, 6' 3.5", 235 lbs, 0.8650, East Carolina commit, 11/15 offer

Matthew Baldwin, Lake Travis, Austin TX - PRO, 6' 2.5", 195 lbs, 0.8637, Colorado State commit, 11/14 offer

Zachary Wilson, Corner Canyon, Draper UT - PRO, 6' 3", 185 lbs, 0.8181, Boise State commit, 10/29 offer

FIFY

Victor Viramontes, Riverside CC, Riverside CA - DUAL, 6' 2" 230 lbs, N/A, 10/30 offer
I like Holton Ahlers' size.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/Targets

Don't forget Viramontes.

I'm pretty sure Armstrong didn't choose to decommit. His stories had holes. We moved on, is my interpretation.

I'm pretty sure Armstrong didn't choose to decommit. His stories had holes. We moved on, is my interpretation.

Yep. He will end up at a MAC or lower division school.

I haven’t been keeping up his recruitment. What holes are in his story?

We desperately need a break in our QB recruiting.

After today's game, we need a QB who is skilled enough to get us over the edge , AND we need blocking TEs and OLs.

The positive: There is only one way to go which up on PJ's chart. The negative from today: We don't want such a craggy trend line on his chart that you'd cut yourself on the jagged edge.

I like Viramontes - he's got a really cool name

If any of these guys were watching this game, the idea of early playing time has to look appealing.

It looks like the Gophers are on overdrive to find a replacement for Brennan Armstrong who decommitted on 11/5:

Brevin White, Paraclete, Lancaster CA - PRO, 6' 2", 185 lbs, 0.8989, Princeton commit, 11/6 offer

Holton Ahlers, D H Conley, Greenville NC - DUAL, 6' 3.5", 235 lbs, 0.8650, East Carolina commit, 11/15 offer

Matthew Baldwin, Lake Travis, Austin TX - PRO, 6' 2.5", 195 lbs, 0.8637, Colorado State commit, 11/14 offer

Zachary Wilson, Corner Canyon, Draper UT - PRO, 6' 3", 185 lbs, 0.8181, Boise State commit, 10/29 offer

FIFY

Victor Viramontes, Riverside CC, Riverside CA - DUAL, 6' 2" 230 lbs, N/A, 10/30 offer

I was pretty excited when I first heard Brevin White's name. He has offers from many big programs, but verbally committed to Princeton after his first visit. The fact that they offered three others after offering White makes me think we don't have a good chance of flipping him.

He was suspended for being at a party or something like that. No idea what "holes" the other guy is talking about.

He said it was one time at a party and he wasn't drinking. Supposedly it was often and he does drink. He recently said Ohio St was recruiting him. We asked Ohio St because of Warinner's connections, they were not recruiting him.
A pattern of stuff like that.

He said it was one time at a party and he wasn't drinking. Supposedly it was often and he does drink. He recently said Ohio St was recruiting him. We asked Ohio St because of Warinner's connections, they were not recruiting him.
A pattern of stuff like that.
Sounds like revisionist history.

His Twitter post came off as fairly cold to Minnesota. No "Thank you but..." He did write #newstandard. Don't know what that means.

Given the UVa commit, that's unlikely. They certainly don't have lower academic standards, and it's unlikely they'd overlook anything off the field that we wouldn't.

He was lying to the coaches about his suspension and thought he would be handed the starting job in the fall without much competition.

FIFY

Holton Ahlers has family in Minnesota. However, his dad is the PA announcer at East Carolina where he is currently committed.

He was lying to the coaches about his suspension and thought he would be handed the starting job in the fall without much competition.

If he watched any games that is a logical conclusion.

Holton Ahlers has family in Minnesota. However, his dad is the PA announcer at East Carolina where he is currently committed.

It is interesting that Ahlers (2018) and Bachmeier (2019) have family connections here.

Ahlers who committed to East Carolina on 1/30/2017 has 14 offers including from GA, Marshall, IU, and Cincy. The Gophers offered on 11/15. What the commitment tells me is that he wants to play in front of family. The question is, the family here or there?

He's got Mitch Leidner like size.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4715550/5a1030e83452ed0d3c86c240

Given the UVa commit, that's unlikely. They certainly don't have lower academic standards, and it's unlikely they'd overlook anything off the field that we wouldn't.
The basic point is not that he did anything terrible, it was that he did not tell Fleck the truth about OSU recruiting him, and he told Fleck he had not been drinking but was suspended because underage drinking was happening and he should not have been there, when in fact he had been drinking.

One singular prediction have him going to tOSU.

tOSU offered 11/12
Gophers offered 11/14
Kentucky offered 11/15

https://247sports.com/Player/Matthew-Baldwin-46038842

https://twitter.com/matthewb_12

Supposedly he is a backup choice at OSU. He does not have a commitable OSU offer, and I dont think all of the guys on the list for us have commitable offers yet either. We have not seen most of them to even pass the eyeball test, let alone play. But if OSU offers, he is probably gone.

Top Bottom