Gophers in the hunt for a QB

I would disagree...Virginia is a way better academic school than Minnesota. It is closer to Northwestern or University of Michigan...both of which are far more selective and well-regarded than Minnesota.

So, athletically then.

Sorry, but a Virginia undergrad degree does not get you into many doors that a Minnesota would not. My $0.02

If he is truly interested in a special program that is at Virginia, but not at Minn, fine. But I doubt it.

I would disagree...Virginia is a way better academic school than Minnesota. It is closer to Northwestern or University of Michigan...both of which are far more selective and well-regarded than Minnesota.

Selectivity doesn't mean anything about academics. It might mean something about how popular a particular school is with a pool of applicants, depending how you look at it.

Michigan and NW are tops in the Big Ten, with Wisconsin not too far behind. If you had said North Carolina, then you'd have an argument. But Virginia is well back of any of those, in the same wheelhouse as the U of Minn.
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2018

The more that I hear about Brennan Armstrong, the more that I think it is best to part ways.

Nothing should be guaranteed to a recruit unless you are in a position of need (like OLs), or you area true blue chipper. Look around and see how many heralded highly touted QBs out of HS are eventual starters for their college teams. I don't know the stats, but I won't be surprised if some of them got surpassed by lesser rated QBs.

It is about the team. If someone is better than you, he will play. You have to earn it. Can you imagine guaranteeing playing time to a Hayo Carpenter?

If he is worried about competition from Croft and Annexstad, then maybe you don't want him. The last thing that we want is a prima donna.

He just committed to UVA with a transfer taking an official and they already had a 2018 qb commit so competition isn't the issue

He just committed to UVA with a transfer taking an official and they already had a 2018 qb commit so competition isn't the issue

Heard he was pissed about the extension. 5 years of Fleck was more than he was prepared to handle.

I find it interesting that Armstrong applied for January entrance into Virginia back in August, I wonder who is actually lying??

I find it interesting that Armstrong applied for January entrance into Virginia back in August, I wonder who is actually lying??

Any HS kid, athlete or not, would be silly to only apply to one school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any HS kid, athlete or not, would be silly to only apply to one school.

And it would be equally silly to only be talking to one quarterback, no?

If you're a high school student in MN with a good ACT score, good GPA, meeting minimum requirements (I think foreign language is a requirement these days, for example), and you want to stay in-state and go to the flagship public university of Minnesota .... you really don't need to apply elsewhere.

That said, you better be pretty confident in your scores. Out of state kids make the school a lot more money, and so they only have so many seats in each freshman class for MN kids.

Actually, if I were advising a young person today looking at this path, I'd suggest community/tech college for the first two years while working part-time. Very low debt, if any, and it's the same exact classes and material. Get really good grades, then transfer into the U. The size of the classes goes up quite a bit, as you go from freshman to senior, because they do take a lot of transfers in.

Anyway ...

Certainly. But the news is sparse at the moment. When it heats up, have at it.

waiting....

I think I'll go eat some turkey and come back.

So, athletically then.

Sorry, but a Virginia undergrad degree does not get you into many doors that a Minnesota would not. My $0.02

If he is truly interested in a special program that is at Virginia, but not at Minn, fine. But I doubt it.

UVA is significantly harder to get it, held in higher regard , has a much higher endowment. Of course it matters what you study but it is one of the public IVY schools.

I have no reason to doubt "newgopher" and he/she isn't really saying anything way out there.

It seems like Brennan wanted assurances. I'm glad PJ didn't give them to him.

Personally, I question the competitive nature of a recruit who looks at our QB situation this year and needs more assurances.

I can see why BA and his camp might call that "lying", but that is the nature of college football and recruiting. I am sure PJ did say things like "you're our only QB recruit" or "we aren't looking at other QBs", but things change. Everyone needs contingency plans (coaches and recruits).

I have no reason to doubt "newgopher" and he/she isn't really saying anything way out there.

Personally, I question the competitive nature of a recruit who looks at our QB situation this year and needs more assurances.

I can see why BA and his camp might call that "lying", but that is the nature of college football and recruiting. I am sure PJ did say things like "you're our only QB recruit" or "we aren't looking at other QBs", but things change. Everyone needs contingency plans (coaches and recruits).
I can't figure out exactly what it is newgopher is saying.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can't figure out exactly what it is newgopher is saying.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think he's just saying that part of why Brennan Armstrong committed to Virginia is because BA believes PJ was dishonest with him.

The only things that could make sense:
- PJ said he was the only QB we were recruiting; OR
- PJ said we wouldn't hold the early suspension against him.

I could see how a recruit could feel lied to in this situation and I could see why PJ looked around.

Are you saying that he doesn't want to compete? If you read the other posts, he feels more connected with Virginia's coaching staff and they run more of the style of offense as well.

I know what it is. He read Gopherhole on a daily basis.

Recruiting is gamesmanship at a high level. It is a two-way street. Each party has vested interests. If tOSU or Alabama comes calling, recruits will drop us in a flash.

Also, we are dealing with kids with different maturity levels. Let's hope that significant others help guide them thru the process. Some kids led all the adulation and attention get into their head. Some even chose to have grandiose announcement schemes. Some who are truly the elite can back the talk up. But, for the rest of the recruits, reality bites. They come to play college football and they quickly realize they are not extraordinary as in HS. There are kids competing with them that are bigger, faster, more talented.

Getting in is one thing. They have to put in the hard work to differentiate themselves.

I wish Brennan a successful college career at UVA. In the end, he is the one who has to be comfortable with his decision.

As far as PJ Fleck goes, it is next man up. The timing for the decommitment is just not the best for the Gophers.
But, PJ is also learning. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Never stop recruiting a position.

UVA is significantly harder to get it, held in higher regard , has a much higher endowment. Of course it matters what you study but it is one of the public IVY schools.

"Significantly harder to get into" -> that's literally selectivity, which I already addressed as not proving better academics. Just higher popularity, in a sense.
"Held in higher regard" -> not by university peers, they're held in the same general regard as U of Minn (ie, still in the top 35 schools in the country, but not a top 15 type of school)
"Has a much higher endowment" -> but that is irrelevant to proving it has better academics. Also, no football recruit has ever selected a school because of the endowment.
"Public IVY" -> yes ... and so what? Let's go to the actual Ivy for that matter: U of Minn is ranked higher than Dartmouth. Does that blow your mind? *shrug*

Maybe BA is a history buff and likes the fact that Thomas Jefferson designed the campus.

I don't think he arrives until tomorrow, pretty sure he plays in a championship game today.

Oh, I didn't know that.

The forecast for Sunday is 48/32 degrees F, and Monday 54/37 degrees F.

It will still feel cold for a Southern Californian, but not MN cold.

Load him up with Gopher paraphernalia, a warm parka, a Goldie the Gopher winter beanie hat with ear flaps, and nice pair of warm winter gloves.

Maybe Chip Kelly will offer him now at UCLA. His offenses need a dual threat QB.

Top Bottom