Chip: Demry Croft as P.J. Fleck's QB of the future? Suddenly, not a crazy idea

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

I asked Fleck if he feels better now about Croft’s future with the program.

“I do [but] it’s not like you have five more chances to screw up, though,” he said. “He’s kind of squeezed all the juice from the orange. I’ve seen a man grow up very quickly. I’ve seen a lot of change in Demry, and I am proud of him.”

Maybe this is a case of a young man maturing and realizing his responsibilities as a major-college quarterback. Hopefully that is the case because it would be a shame to see his talent wasted. A waste, too, if the Gophers feel compelled to start over at that position next season with a first-time starter without seeing the benefits of having Croft gain valuable experience this season.

Playing well in the final two games — or three, if the Gophers reach a bowl — could set a course for Croft. “I definitely feel better about [my future],” he said.

Croft put in community service time during his team suspension and began serving meals at Loaves and Fishes. He discovered so much joy in helping those in need that he continues to volunteer twice a week.

“I love serving and giving to those people in the community that don’t always get a hand out to them,” he said.

He’s formed a bond with one woman in particular. The woman avoided eye contact and said nothing the first time he gave her a plate. She looked him in the eyes on his next visit. The two met again last week.

“She had a big smile and said thank you,” Croft said. “She had a Gophers jacket on. It was pretty sweet to have her smile at me.”

Croft scored major victories on and off the field last week. His performance against Nebraska was eye-opening in a way that makes you want to see where it leads.

If he continues to improve and behave like a leader, the perception that he is merely a placeholder until Fleck finds a new quarterback ultimately might be proven wrong.

http://www.startribune.com/demry-cr...e-future-suddenly-not-a-crazy-idea/458301803/

Go Gophers!!

This column didn't age well.

per Chip:

I asked Fleck if he feels better now about Croft’s future with the program.

“I do [but] it’s not like you have five more chances to screw up, though,” he said. “He’s kind of squeezed all the juice from the orange. I’ve seen a man grow up very quickly. I’ve seen a lot of change in Demry, and I am proud of him.”

Maybe this is a case of a young man maturing and realizing his responsibilities as a major-college quarterback. Hopefully that is the case because it would be a shame to see his talent wasted. A waste, too, if the Gophers feel compelled to start over at that position next season with a first-time starter without seeing the benefits of having Croft gain valuable experience this season.

Playing well in the final two games — or three, if the Gophers reach a bowl — could set a course for Croft. “I definitely feel better about [my future],” he said.

Croft put in community service time during his team suspension and began serving meals at Loaves and Fishes. He discovered so much joy in helping those in need that he continues to volunteer twice a week.

“I love serving and giving to those people in the community that don’t always get a hand out to them,” he said.

He’s formed a bond with one woman in particular. The woman avoided eye contact and said nothing the first time he gave her a plate. She looked him in the eyes on his next visit. The two met again last week.

“She had a big smile and said thank you,” Croft said. “She had a Gophers jacket on. It was pretty sweet to have her smile at me.”

Croft scored major victories on and off the field last week. His performance against Nebraska was eye-opening in a way that makes you want to see where it leads.

If he continues to improve and behave like a leader, the perception that he is merely a placeholder until Fleck finds a new quarterback ultimately might be proven wrong.

http://www.startribune.com/demry-cr...e-future-suddenly-not-a-crazy-idea/458301803/

Go Gophers!!

12 days later Chip changes his tune:

"Croft likely isn't the long-term answer at quarterback but he's not even their biggest problem."

http://www.startribune.com/loss-to-wisconsin-shows-how-far-gophers-football-has-fallen/459997923/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom