Pioneer Press: What is the ‘spiritual’ part of P.J. Fleck’s Gophers football makeover

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Fleck knows his players won’t be perfect off the field, but he wants them to try. On Tuesday, Fleck told them, “You should never be a better football player than you are a person.”

“That quote hit me right in the heart,” said Jordahl, who wants to run a youth program or assist teachers after college.

The Gophers have routine opportunities to volunteer, with the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital a favorite destination. They will host a turkey drive with seven local organizations to help families in need on Thanksgiving. During preseason camp, they collected diapers and canned foods.

“Having a program where every single week there is an opportunity for student-athletes to go do something in the community is, I think, phenomenal,” said Jordahl, who will pursue a masters degree in youth development and leadership next year.

For Fleck and his program, spirituality doesn’t mean religious belief of any particular kind. The point is to believe in something bigger than yourself. For example, the team.

“One of the things that Coach Fleck is very good at is appreciating other cultures and specifically religious beliefs that other people may carry,” Jordahl said. “For example, when we have a team meal, we have a moment of silence. Instead of saying a prayer, it’s a prayer for whatever higher power you believe in, if you believe in a higher power. He leaves it open for all types.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/1...part-of-p-j-flecks-gophers-football-makeover/

Go Gophers!!

Excellent! Obviously, very good, admirable. Surely, Jordahl is growing as a person, stepping outside his comfort zone. Very likely most other guys on the team are too. That's awesome. PJ is unique, but I doubt coaches teaching life lessons to their team members is. Nice story for sure.

Love the guidance and leadership Fleck is giving the team outside the stadium.

It appears he's a top 5 head coach when it comes to how he's handling the team off the field.

Top Bottom