The value of Northwestern / Minnesota tickets

fmlizard

Reaction score
I just bought 3 tickets to Saturday's game on the 50 yard line, 40 rows back. Ideal seats. Guess what they went for on a broker site?

$4 / each.

$4 is ridiculous for Big Ten football, let alone prime seats. My small town high school games cost more in the 90s. It's not like I got some amazing deal...there's tons of inventory like this anyone can go buy right now. The Northwestern / Minnesota game last season at TCF was the first Gopher game I couldn't sell my tickets for at any price. I've sold FCS games and gotten at least close to face for them before, but 2016 Northwestern, with two good teams going at it got no takers even at $5.

What's the deal with this matchup? It's no worse than a battle of middleweights in the conference and the games are usually good.

Because Northwestern has the worst fan base in B1G?

I just bought 3 tickets to Saturday's game on the 50 yard line, 40 rows back. Ideal seats. Guess what they went for on a broker site?

$4 / each.

$4 is ridiculous for Big Ten football, let alone prime seats. My small town high school games cost more in the 90s. It's not like I got some amazing deal...there's tons of inventory like this anyone can go buy right now. The Northwestern / Minnesota game last season at TCF was the first Gopher game I couldn't sell my tickets for at any price. I've sold FCS games and gotten at least close to face for them before, but 2016 Northwestern, with two good teams going at it got no takers even at $5.

What's the deal with this matchup? It's no worse than a battle of middleweights in the conference and the games are usually good.

One word, WEATHER.

One word, WEATHER.

Sure, it impacts it. I've been going to Gopher games in Evanston for a decade and the weather usually sucks. But it used to cost $30-40 for a similar seat (face $47), for worse Northwestern teams. Ones for this game were in the sub-$10 range even a month ago.

Five of us heading to the game tomorrow from the western Chicago burbs. I paid $5/each.
Now you tell me I overpaid? F...

Five of us heading to the game tomorrow from the western Chicago burbs. I paid $5/each.
Now you tell me I overpaid? F...

Lol with fees I was slightly over $5, but the seller only got $4. Enjoy the game!

Because Northwestern has the worst fan base in B1G?

As was being discussed in another thread ... I think Minn-NW might have one of the largest cases in the West Division games of not having fans of the other team living near the home stadium. IE, not a lot of Minn alumni in Chicago, not a lot of NW alumni in the Cities.

It's a wild guess, though.

The tickets have been hovering right around $5 for a good 8 weeks. Was seriously thinking of a quick day trip. single day round trip flights were around $80-100 about two months ago. Add in a couple rideshares and lunch, and it looked like roughly a $150 day all in...

I agree that the weather plays a big role...the lake kicks up a nasty wind.

$4 / each.

Boy, you would've thought with 9 wins last year, the place would've been jam packed. :rolleyes:

As was being discussed in another thread ... I think Minn-NW might have one of the largest cases in the West Division games of not having fans of the other team living near the home stadium. IE, not a lot of Minn alumni in Chicago, not a lot of NW alumni in the Cities.

It's a wild guess, though.

I think you are on to something.

People in the Big Ten go to the following cities for jobs.

Columbus, Chicago, Minneapolis.

And thanks to the new teams out east: Philly, DC, NYC and Baltimore.

$4 / each.

The fact that the Wildcats are ranked is probably negated by the fact that the Gophers have beaten them 3 out of the last 4 years. That would hold down the number of NW fans making an appearance. Now add in that they needed 3 OT wins to get their present 5 game winning streak and any confidence their fans might have had in seeing another victory Saturday must be a little shaky at best.

Northwestern also heavily depends on the visiting team to bring fans and sell tickets. Throw in the bad weather and the lack of fans showing up at TCF, that lack of enthusiasm was gonna lead to a very small turnout of Minnesota fans down there tomorrow too.

Guess getting $4 a ticket is better than getting $0 for them.

$4 / each.

I'm surprised people even bother selling for $4. At that point just give them to some charity.

Tiny fan base + tiny fan base = great ticket deals.

The fact that the Wildcats are ranked is probably negated by the fact that the Gophers have beaten them 3 out of the last 4 years. That would hold down the number of NW fans making an appearance.

What? So they are afraid of us?

Northwestern has about 21,000 students and less than half are undergrads. A significant portion of alumni live outside the Chicagoland area. Combine that with never hooking a good number of alumns from the 1960s to late 1980 that would normally form the core of the season ticket holder base due to how awful they always were back then and the armchair fans being split many ways, and the tickets just are not a commodity.

Top Bottom