How many conference games will the Gophers win this year, pre-tournament?

How many wins will the Gophers have in conference prior to the conference tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golfing18now

Reaction score
Now that we've had a chance to see this team perform a few games, how many conference games do you think the Gophers will win this year prior to the conference tournament?

11 wins last year so I went with 13-14 but 15 or 16 wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm going full homer (15-3)! I can't think of a better year to go big!! Losses: MSU, Purdue, and one unexpected hiccup.

I think it will be tough for us to win more than about 12 in conference play because of our thin front court. I think over the course of an 18 game season, we'll lose some games we shouldn't because Lynch and/or Murphy is in foul trouble.

But the good news is this team is fully capable of an NCAA tourney run if everyone is healthy come tourney time. (Having the BTT a week early might help in that regard).

I shot for the high end of 15-16 but won't be surprised if they come up a little short of that. Looks like it took 14 to win the conference last year but with MSU being really good again it will probably take at least that or more this time around. Should be able to surpass last year's 11 so I would realistically say we end up between 12-15 when it is all said and done. Absolutely should be in the mix for the title unless things go totally sideways on us.

I think it will be tough for us to win more than about 12 in conference play because of our thin front court. I think over the course of an 18 game season, we'll lose some games we shouldn't because Lynch and/or Murphy is in foul trouble.

But the good news is this team is fully capable of an NCAA tourney run if everyone is healthy come tourney time. (Having the BTT a week early might help in that regard).

I picked 15-16 and agreed the front court and foul trouble will be an issue at times. I want to believe though that this team plays like last year with different people stepping up when others are in foul trouble and or having a bad nite. We are deeper with offensive horsepower. Of course we also will miss Curry who was one of those others who stepped up last year, especially that OT game last year.

15-16. But with their only game vs MSU being at home, I'm having trouble finding 2-3 losses on the schedule.

I vote 9 or 10 because I think we will win 10. I have a feeling we will finish in the same spot this year.0

Prudent. Yes, I could see us dropping a game to a team like Iowa simply because they have plenty of depth upfront.

Of course we also will miss Curry who was one of those others who stepped up last year, especially that OT game last year.

Stepped up pretty big in a few overtime games last year: Purdue, Iowa, and also Michigan (although Murphy and Lynch didn't foul out in that one). Obviously, neither Hurt nor Fitzgerald appears to be able to replace Curry individually but maybe, between the two of them, they can do a fair enough job of filing his minutes productively. Hurt's improvement has been pretty visible so far. Fitzgerald's last game was encouraging. Hopefully he will continue to recover his legs and confidence over the non-conference.

I'm pessimistic with all of my sports teams so I couldn't go more than 11 or 12. Hope it's much more though.

Definitely. But they were tough last year and we won both of them. Plus we're better this year. I'm not convinced Purdue and Northwestern are better.

Plus, I just saw that Nerdwestern is playing all of their home games at the Allstate Center out by ORD (renovations). I'm not sure that thousands of rapid NW students will make the 45 minute trip through traffic to see that one. Their home court advantage will be questionable this year.

I'm pessimistic with all of my sports teams so I couldn't go more than 11 or 12. Hope it's much more though.

All of the B1G losses from the last few days is making me think we have a very real (or dare I say likely?) shot at 13+ wins.

15-16 and (barring injury) i don't see much chance for a letdown from this squad. the bench should get a ton of playing time before getting into the meat of the conference schedule, and that experience will ideally alleviate some of the 'achilles' depth concerns. There is some depth there, just not with experience. Hurt simply hasn't seen the floor much, and don't forget that as recently as this spring, Pitino said of Davonte Fitzgerald "When healthy he shows flashes of being our best player...". I think you'll start to see some signs of that by the time they're into the second half of the schedule. He hasn't done a lot of good things yet this season, but the two or three times i've seen Fitz do something well - he looked authoritative doing it. TWO years off from basketball - He didn't become less talented, he just got rusty. Really a lot of these guys just need some minutes. Especially the freshman. Harris already showing glimpses of having the capability to shoot out the lights. Washington can score a ton of points in a hurry even while he's missing more shots than he makes. As this season unfolds, i'm excited like never before to see manifestations of these unknown quantities beyond the scratching of their surface.

Can I change my vote? I mean, it's unclear if we will face full five-man teams for all of these games. What if we face four- or three-man teams?

Top Bottom