Q&A: Eden Prairie QB Cole Kramer Talks Recruiting and Heavy Family Ties to Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Eden Prairie QB Cole Kramer Talks Recruiting and Heavy Family Ties to Gophers

Q&A: Eden Prairie QB Cole Kramer Talks Recruiting and Heavy Family Ties to Gopher Sports
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/857722?referrer_id=

Cole Kramer, a 6-foot-1, 175-pound junior quarterback from Eden Prairie (MN) High, has helped lead the Eagles to an undefeated mark and a spot in the Class 6A semifinals.

Kramer helped lead the Eagles to a 11-0 record this season. They face Maple Grove in the semifinals of the Class AAAAAA tournament Thursday.

Kramer has completed 58 of 78 passes for 934 yards and 16 touchdowns this year.

Kramer comes from an athletic family. His uncle, Mike, was a backup quarterback for Rickey Foggie in 1984-85 after starting his career at North Dakota. His uncle, Bob Coughlin, was a two-year letterman for the Gophers as a defensive tackle in 1989-90 and married Jenny Moe, who was named to the All-Big Ten team four times for the Gophers in tennis. Their sons are current Gopher football players Carter and Quinn.

Jenny and her sister, Jackie, each won state tennis singles titles when they played at Edina. Jackie was an All-¬America player at Texas. Jackie married Steve Kramer and had Cole.

Gopher Hole caught up with Kramer after the Eagles 35-0 in over Lakeville North Thursday in the Class AAAAAA quarterfinals.

Gopher Hole: Obviously a big win, getting to the state semifinals. How pleased are you with the way that you have been playing all year?

Cole Kramer: I’m very pleased. Just how we executed day by day. The whole entire team did tremendously well. The scout team did awesome. Everything is awesome so far.

Gopher Hole: A big win over a team that you beat in the regular season. You look back at that turnover that Lakeville North had and D.J. Johnson was able to run that fumble back 97 yards to make it 14-0 when it looked like they might tie the score. How big of a play was that as it really seemed to swing the momentum?

Cole Kramer: It was huge. When they did that, our momentum shifted our way and from there on, we had it.

Gopher Hole: Eden Prairie has a great tradition, but has not won the title the past two years. How much would it mean for you guys to back and win that title?

Cole Kramer: It would mean everything. We have been working so hard for this all summer long. All fall long and to have it pay off would be awesome.

Gopher Hole: You come from a football family. How important has football been throughout your life?

Cole Kramer: It is important, but there are other more important things, such as family and God, but it is important. It’s awesome.

Gopher Hole: What are your first memories of football?

Cole Kramer: Third grade, just playing tackle football for the first year in the backyard, throwing with my brother and my dad.

Gopher Hole: Your grandfather was Tom Moe (Moewas a three-year letterman who lead the Gophers in receptions in 1958 and was named team MVP in 1959. He lettered three times in baseball, hit .340 for his career and was third on the team in RBI during the Gophers’ 1960 national championship season. Moe was Minnesota’s athletic director from 1999-2002). What does he say about his football days?

Cole Kramer: We talk a bunch. He just goes through and gives me advice, but he is not overly. He is just a great grandpa. Just knows what to say. It’s awesome.

Gopher Hole: Is that where you got the love of football from him or was it from your dad?

Cole Kramer: Honestly, it was just from the start whenever I played. It wasn’t someone. I just loved it ever since I played.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are a junior, but what schools are you starting to hear from?

Cole Kramer: I’m hearing from Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan State. Those are the main that have been contacting me.

Gopher Hole: What camps did you get a chance to go to this summer?

Cole Kramer: I went to a couple of Gopher camps and then Iowa, Michigan State and North Dakota State.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have been busy with your own schedule, but have you gotten a chance to go many college football games this year?

Cole Kramer: I went to a couple of Minnesota games. I’m going to Minnesota (versus Nebraska Saturday) and I have been to Iowa.

Gopher Hole: Which Gopher games were you at?

Cole Kramer: Middle Tennessee State and Maryland.

Gopher Hole: Carter Coughlin, your cousin, is there. What is it like to watch him play there?

Cole Kramer: It’s awesome. I remember sitting in the stands, watching him when he was a sophomore and junior in high school and seeing him make those plays in the Big Ten, it is just awesome to see him do that. It is great.

Gopher Hole: What does he tell you about college football?

Cole Kramer: It is very hard work, but if you work hard, it will pay off at some point.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean for you to play at the collegiate level?

Cole Kramer: It would mean everything. I have been working day in and day out, every day, just trying to get there and being the best that I can.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have quite a legacy at the U of M. What would it mean to maybe have the chance to play there as well?

Cole Kramer: It would be awesome. Making it and staying home. Being a hometown kid, that would just mean everything.

Gopher Hole: You are a good athlete who could play other positions besides quarterback. Have schools talked to you about what position you might play in college yet or is that a little too early?

Cole Kramer: Quarterback.

Gopher Hole: You have a couple of games left, but what would it mean to be in the Prep Bowl?

Cole Kramer: Everything coming together. Going to US Bank Stadium makes it just that much more special.

Top Bottom