Minnesota vs Ohio St 1985

That was a great day. Just two years after 1-10 and 84-13, Holtz has the Gophers 5-1, 3-0 in the conference, with the lone loss 13-7 against #1 Oklahoma, and we're hanging with Ohio State. Sellout or near sellout crows at the Metrodome for OU and OSU, pretty rare for games against teams not named Wisconsin and Iowa that brought 10,000 of their own fans. Just a glimpse of what CAN be.

Then Holtz left and we hired John Gutekunst instead of Bobby Ross.

Thanks for posting, good memories. I'm going to watch this Friday after Thanksgiving. I was at this game as a sophomore. About 6 of us from Territorial Hall had season tickets and we'd would walk over to the games.

That was a great day. Just two years after 1-10 and 84-13, Holtz has the Gophers 5-1, 3-0 in the conference, with the lone loss 13-7 against #1 Oklahoma, and we're hanging with Ohio State. Sellout or near sellout crows at the Metrodome for OU and OSU, pretty rare for games against teams not named Wisconsin and Iowa that brought 10,000 of their own fans. Just a glimpse of what CAN be.

Then Holtz left and we hired John Gutekunst instead of Bobby Ross.

I don't remember much about Gutekunst, but he seemed to be one of the stalest personality out there and a decent defensive coordinator.

Is that right?

The Carpetbagger then left the university and hasn't had another job in this town since!

I don't remember much about Gutekunst, but he seemed to be one of the stalest personality out there and a decent defensive coordinator.

Is that right?

I would say that's right -- very Claeys-like. His record was okay -- two 5-3 seasons in the Big Ten and one 4-4, even with his own recruits. But was he was boring -- especially following Holtz -- and the program had no real spark, so when we were 2-9 (1-7), he was easy to cut loose. We hired someone with much more personality and salesmanship to replace him, and things got no better.

Bobby Ross was reportedly interested in the job when Holtz left, but the players rallied around Gutey. Ross went to Georgia Tech instead and won a national championship in four years before going to the NFL. A few years later Wisconsin hired Barry Alvarez and went to the Rose Bowl. Fork. In. Road.

Talk about bad luck. If Foggie doesn't get banged up on that 3rd down play, we win the game. Holt made the wrong read on fourth down, should've kept it for the outside option.

This was one of the first college football games I ever attended, maybe the very first (don't remember exactly). Dome was packed full with 62,000. Man, Holtz had people believing.

Top Bottom