Fleck, Gophers will see recruits signing, transfers leaving earlier than ever before

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Since 1981, the first Wednesday in February has been the date when it comes to college football recruiting. Coaches would scurry to get the commitments from high school players in order, and the recruits would sign their letters-of-intent on National Signing Day.

But that's all changing, and come next month, the recruiting world will go through a seismic shift.

The NCAA in April approved an early signing period for college football, which will run Dec. 20-22. There still will be a signing period that begins on the first Wednesday in February (Feb. 7, 2018) and runs through April 1, but expect a lot of fireworks on Dec. 20.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...s-leaving-earlier-than-ever-before/458068523/

Go Gophers!!

Good point in the article about needing some guys to transfer immediately. I wonder if Fleck has already had conversations with players, if he's making assumptions or plans to nudge some guys out.

If we're getting technical ... when do players signed in December start counting against the 85 max roster spots on scholarship?

I guess obviously if they enroll early in Jan for spring ball. But moreso my point is that guys who aren't getting here until summer or fall, probably don't count against the limit just because they're signed.

If we're getting technical ... when do players signed in December start counting against the 85 max roster spots on scholarship?

I guess obviously if they enroll early in Jan for spring ball. But moreso my point is that guys who aren't getting here until summer or fall, probably don't count against the limit just because they're signed.

I don't think they count at all until the fall. That's why its a Letter of Intent.

I think its fairly commonplace (especially in SEC) for teams to over-sign and then sort it out later to get to 85 scholarships in fall.

It will be interesting who will transfer out of the Gophers program.

Maybe certain WRs and a QB? We hopefully do not lose anyone on defense or RB.

I don't think they count at all until the fall. That's why its a Letter of Intent.

I think its fairly commonplace (especially in SEC) for teams to over-sign and then sort it out later to get to 85 scholarships in fall.

Once they enroll, if they're on scholarship, I think it counts, even if it's the offseason. As far as I know, football can only have 85 guys on scholarship. So if some December signees show up in Jan, to take part in spring ball, etc., and they're on scholarship ...

Once they enroll, if they're on scholarship, I think it counts, even if it's the offseason. As far as I know, football can only have 85 guys on scholarship. So if some December signees show up in Jan, to take part in spring ball, etc., and they're on scholarship ...

NCAA audits in the summer. After graduation, etc.

It will be interesting who will transfer out of the Gophers program.

I’m curious to see what Jrs graduate and leave early. I see a few potential candidates. We’ll find that out next week.

I’m curious to see what Jrs graduate and leave early. I see a few potential candidates. We’ll find that out next week.

Really? I don't know if I see all that many JR's who'd leave. A lot of those guys get a lot of PT. I'll be surprised if it's more than 2. I'd think more RS SO's may leave, but who knows, honestly.

Really? I don't know if I see all that many JR's who'd leave. A lot of those guys get a lot of PT. I'll be surprised if it's more than 2. I'd think more RS SO's may leave, but who knows, honestly.

I see at least 4 scholarship juniors who look like almost no-brainers to graduate and/or leave early. Out of respect for them I won't name names, but they jump out when looking at the roster.

I see at least 4 scholarship juniors who look like almost no-brainers to graduate and/or leave early. Out of respect for them I won't name names, but they jump out when looking at the roster.

Agree.

Many/all of them redshirt juniors?

Maybe the transfer go the other way into the Gophers - maybe a couple of grad transfers?

That is a good point. If they have to keep under the 85 scholie count, how are they going to handle early enrollees?

That is a good point. If they have to keep under the 85 scholie count, how are they going to handle early enrollees?

I don't think that signing LOI in December will mean more Early enrollees.

I can see of two. But two more escape me. But I’ll err to your judgement as I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully if his coach is fired we can get a certain WR from a B1G west team to transfer home....

Who do you got in mind?? I’m drawing a blank.
Probably means Spielman. He has thrived in Nebraska. PJ needs to find his own guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nah, why will he transfer when he is their playmaker?

Top Bottom