MN Daily: Coughlin finds success switching to defensive line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Carter Coughlin switched from linebacker to defensive end in the offseason.

So far, he has made the transition look easy.

The sophomore has the most sacks and tackles for loss on the Minnesota defense.

“[Coughlin’s] a guy that’s just changed his best, you know, his entire year,” said defensive coordinator Robb Smith. “He’s just trying to refine his game, and he’s done an elite job at that, and he’s been able to change his best, and you know we expect more in the future for him as well.”

Recruited as the No. 6 outside linebacker in the country,according to 247 Sports, Coughlin stuck with linebacker last year for the Gophers. He played in 10 games and started one in the Gophers 9-4 season, racking up 25 tackles last year; four were for a loss and two were sacks. Now, with two more games to play in the 2017 season, Coughlin has 31 tackles, including 9.5 for a loss and 5.5 sacks.

Coughlin moved to the defensive end position in the spring after a change in coaching staff. Then-head coach, Tracy Claeys, was fired by the University in January. After the school's decision, Coughlin tweeted: “How can someone makes such an idiotic decision...” but he stuck around to play under new leadership headed by P.J. Fleck.

There are 13 linebackers on the Gophers roster, so Smith moved Coughlin to that defensive end spot to make sure he gets on the field — and he has. Coughlin has started every game this year, emerging as the best pass rusher on the defense, using his speed and explosiveness to get around slower, bigger linemen.

“Right now, my biggest asset is my speed, and you know as I go on through college I want to be able to incorporate more size into that," Coughlin said. "I can add a lot of power to that, and I think that’s going to be a sweet combo, but right now it’s definitely my speed.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/11/s-coughlin-finds-success-switching-to-defensive-line

Go Gophers!!

Carter is an absolute stud. Will be fun to watch him develop even more over the next two seasons.

He's been absolutely dominated at times, mostly because he's playing out of position.

But he's gotten better every single game.

I wonder if he'll stay at DE.

Not uncommon for undersized edge rushers. They usually don't win every down. But like you said, better every game.

Kid plays hard but if he has to put his hand on the ground it wouldn't be pretty.

It is great he is willing to do it.

I'd just rather it not have been needed and like to think it won't be needed later on.... but I'm guessing it will.

He dominated the edge against Nebraska...first time I've seen him push the takle into the backfield and attack the pulling lineman on the offensive line of scrimmage. Best game of the year for him...which is exciting to see him improve.

Hopefully he stays healthy...excited for what the next two years can bring.

What a play/hit he made towards the end of the Nebraska game.

With about a minute left and NE desperately trying for a garbage time score, Spielman catches a pass on the edge and does juke after juke putting him towards the middle of the field. Carter comes flying upfield after rushing the qb and puts an absolute lick on his former EP teammate. And they definitely didn't exchange pleasantries afterwards either.

Good looking player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom