STrib: Steven Richardson returns to Chicagoland as Gophers 'quiet giant' leader

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

When the Gophers visit Northwestern on Saturday, it’ll be a Chicago homecoming for several members of the team. Coach P.J. Fleck is from the western suburb of Sugar Grove; the Huff brothers, safety Jacob and linebacker Julian, are from Bolingbrook; and cornerback Antonio Shenault is from Roselle, just to name a few.

But the trip to Chicago might mean the most to Steven Richardson, the senior defensive tackle who is winding up a productive career as a four-year starter while toiling in the trenches.

“I know he’s excited to get back to Chicago to play in this game,” Fleck said. “And I know that everybody wants to do it for Steven.”

Richardson, a soft-spoken 6-0, 292-pounder, expects a good turnout of family, friends and “even past teachers all the way from elementary school” at Ryan Field in Evanston. Though it’s his final collegiate game in the Chicago area, he’s here for business.

“I’m just focusing on finishing up these last games strong,” the former Mount Carmel High School standout said.

http://www.startribune.com/steven-r...land-as-gophers-quiet-giant-leader/457872583/

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Unnoticed in stats, Steven Richardson makes impact on Minnesota defense

Defensive lineman Steven Richardson hasn't showed his impact in his season stats, but his presence on the defensive line has opened gaps for other Minnesota rushers to come through. Richardson has just 18 total tackles this season and only 2.5 of them for a loss.

Richardson and the Gophers face off against their second ranked opponent of the season Saturday, No. 23 Northwestern. Richardson has had to deal with his different role as the Chicago native goes up against the Wildcats.

When the Minnesota defensive linemen is double teamed on the line of scrimmage, he doesn't try to overpower both blockers at once.

“[I’ve been] mainly focusing on one guy,” Richardson said. “Beat one guy, then the other guy doesn’t matter. It also works with having guys around you, I felt like the other [defensive] linemen have been helping me out.”

He made an impact right away in his Gophers career, making 23 tackles and two sacks in 13 games in 2014. He had his most successful season in 2016 when he led the Gophers and the defense to a 9-4 record and a bowl game win with 31 tackles in 13 games. Most notably, he had seven sacks for 46 yards that season.

In 2017, Richardson doesn’t have as many tackles, and he has no sacks through 10 games. That hasn’t been for a lack of effort or overall effectiveness, though.

“When people gameplan [the Gophers], watch how many times they double-team Steven Richardson,” said head coach P.J. Fleck. “It would probably be 90 percent of the time he’s got two people on him.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...-richardson-makes-impact-on-minnesota-defense

Go Gophers!!

Monster player for us. I don't remember an interior lineman having a career like this in awhile. I know Hageman is in the nfl and everything, but Richardson has had a big 4 years of contribution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom