Journal Star: Letter, 11/16: Minnesota loss was karma for 1983

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Journal Star:

I imagine there is a great deal of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth in Lincoln these days. After all, how could it be that the Cornhuskers lose to the lowly Minnesota Golden Gophers, much less by a score of 54-21?

In Minnesota, it calls to mind a 1983 game in which Nebraska trounced Minnesota by a score of 84-13. There was no concern of running up the score against Minnesota; Nebraska just kept piling it on. The game was an extreme example of bad sportsmanship on the part of Nebraska.

Ever since then, I have always rooted in favor of whichever team the Cornhuskers played on a given weekend. So you will have to pardon Minnesota fans relishing the defeat handed to Nebraska last weekend.

Forgive us if we do not join in sadness over the state of the Cornhusker football program. What goes around, comes around.

R.H. Roers, Minneapolis

http://journalstar.com/opinion/lett...cle_4a042583-9a73-5b90-a5fc-f71f2230b36e.html

Go Gophers!!

So.... Gopher fans troll on out of town newspapers comment sections....

So.... Gopher fans troll on out of town newspapers comment sections....

Make that "fan". Looking it the site, it appears that a grand total of one guy did

Dr. Tom, despite his heavy sanctity, regularly rolled up the score in an unsportsmanlike way and sometimes it backfired. One year he kept up the scoring binge on Arizona State and I thought at the time, "You just don't do that, AZ State is a proud program." The Sun Devils bided their time and ambushed Nebraska the following year in Tempe, and you could feel revenge in the air.

per the Journal Star:

I imagine there is a great deal of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth in Lincoln these days. After all, how could it be that the Cornhuskers lose to the lowly Minnesota Golden Gophers, much less by a score of 54-21?

In Minnesota, it calls to mind a 1983 game in which Nebraska trounced Minnesota by a score of 84-13. There was no concern of running up the score against Minnesota; Nebraska just kept piling it on. The game was an extreme example of bad sportsmanship on the part of Nebraska.

Ever since then, I have always rooted in favor of whichever team the Cornhuskers played on a given weekend. So you will have to pardon Minnesota fans relishing the defeat handed to Nebraska last weekend.

Forgive us if we do not join in sadness over the state of the Cornhusker football program. What goes around, comes around.

R.H. Roers, Minneapolis

http://journalstar.com/opinion/lett...cle_4a042583-9a73-5b90-a5fc-f71f2230b36e.html

Go Gophers!!
He makes some good points.

The Billds first Gophers game was the 49-0 game at the Dome in 1989. Not pretty.

Seeing the win at TCF followed by the one in Lincoln went a long way for us. Saturday iced it though.

They will turn that ship around. I look forward to us remaining to be competitive in those days too.

Stop whining about this Gopher fans. The game was played here right? Or am I wrong? How many people could they travel? I'm guessing some subs played the 2nd half. They ran for almost 600 yards, it's not like they were throwing it all over the yard. Did we want them to take a knee? We sucked and they were one of the best teams in the nation.

Stop whining about this Gopher fans. The game was played here right? Or am I wrong? How many people could they travel? I'm guessing some subs played the 2nd half. They ran for almost 600 yards, it's not like they were throwing it all over the yard. Did we want them to take a knee? We sucked and they were one of the best teams in the nation.

Agreed. They ran the ball. We gave up. Give it a rest about the 84 points.

Agreed. They ran the ball. We gave up. Give it a rest about the 84 points.

It's WAY past the time to think about it, but Osbourne had his starters, on defense I think, playing well into the 4th Quarter. Took some heat from Husker fans for it. Not for a lack of "sportsmanship", but more of a "why risk the starters" argument. That argument always made sense to me.

Wonder if he told the players "If you're not 1st or 2nd stringers, whether we're up by 50 or down by 45 you're never gonna play".

Kind of doubt it.

Oh and if it really bothers you that a handful of people on the internet don't agree with you maybe you should "give it a rest". :eek:

This thread reminds me of the Minnesota vs. Nebraska game at the brickhouse in 1973.

My Dad was from Green Bay, but settled in Minnesota in the late 50's, after his stint in the Navy, and college. He'd been a Gopher football fan ever since. He was also somewhat of a Nebraska fan since our family had spent 2 years living in NE Nebraska while he was there on a work assignment... He loved Bob Devany and Tom Osborne, and used to say that before them, the only reason to listen to the radio in Nebraska before them was to get the corn, beef and hog report.

To make a long story short, he and I would travel to St Paul 1-2 times from the Iron Range each season for a Gopher game. He was really excited about this one... The Gophers were not bad (Dungy, Upchurch), but I believe Nebraska came in ranked #2. My Dad was cheering for the Gophers, but was also wearing his dandy red felt Stetson cowboy hat, with the white "N" on the front...Why? Because he was frickin' goofy.

In any case, Nebraska had David Humm at QB, and I recollect that the threw the ball all over Minnesota that day. I couldn't find the stat sheet for the game, but I recall that he threw really well, and Osborne never took his foot off the gas in this one.

The game finished 48-7 in favor of Nebraska... with my Dad clenching his teeth and sitting on the crushed Stetson. He was really pissed at Osborne for not substituting or standing down in the 4th quarter.... He never felt the same about Osborne after that one.

I used to have the hat around the house, don't know where it ended up, but wish I'd kept it. It's a fun memory.

(sigh)

That game happened THIRTY FOUR YEARS AGO.

Everyone needs to get over it.

And if Minnesota beats Nebraska by 30 or more points next year, and the next and the next, the satisfaction only gets better and better and better....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Was the '83 game really a case of piling it on? I believe Osborne used mostly subs in the second half and Smokey Joe just had no answer for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers. Was Osborne expected to limit his players to say four yards a play after scoring their 6th or 7th TD on the Gophers sorry defense so the fans woldn't feel so bad about how horrible the team was?

Went to the Dark Side and of course there's archival info for every game.

Here's the HuskerMax summary: https://www.huskermax.com/games/1983/03minnesota.html Basically says every member of the 60-man travel squad played. Nebby 595 running yards and 195 passing yards...so yes, there was significant passing too.

Here's the Omaha World Herald summary: http://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1983-9-17-minnesota Gives credence to some blowout embarrassment for running up the score but other Huskers were having a blast. Also claim Gophers started out with probably a little too much mouth. Finally, Minnesota was employing a "gambling defense" the entire game that once the Huskers read it, they knew what to do. Also Minnesota was throwing a lot.

Now at least we have some data on the issue. I figure as long as we can beat them today that goes a long way to close out the wound on this one.

Let's beat the Cats!

Went to the Dark Side and of course there's archival info for every game.

Here's the HuskerMax summary: https://www.huskermax.com/games/1983/03minnesota.html Basically says every member of the 60-man travel squad played. Nebby 595 running yards and 195 passing yards...so yes, there was significant passing too.

Here's the Omaha World Herald summary: http://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1983-9-17-minnesota Gives credence to some blowout embarrassment for running up the score but other Huskers were having a blast. Also claim Gophers started out with probably a little too much mouth. Finally, Minnesota was employing a "gambling defense" the entire game that once the Huskers read it, they knew what to do. Also Minnesota was throwing a lot.

Now at least we have some data on the issue. I figure as long as we can beat them today that goes a long way to close out the wound on this one.

Let's beat the Cats!

They were 5 of 15 passing for 195...that's just incredibly bad defense.

(sigh)

That game happened THIRTY FOUR YEARS AGO.

Everyone needs to get over it.

Minnesotans are still pissed that Drew Pearson wasn't flagged for pushing off on Nate Wright in 1975! Folks in the North Star state have very long memories when they perceive a sporting injustice.

Minnesotans are still pissed that Drew Pearson wasn't flagged for pushing off on Nate Wright in 1975! Folks in the North Star state have very long memories when they perceive a sporting injustice.

Ha! I was "joking" with a friend who is a Cowboys fan. His take was the Vikings will never make a Superbowl. I told him that's due to the Cowboys being cheaters...

Top Bottom