Dream Scenario

Billy M

Reaction score
UT AD John Currie can't pull in the big name coach that he thinks he can after firing Butch Jones and after watching other schools start picking off the better candidates, he throws big bucks at PJ and hires him away from Minnesota to coach the Vols.

Coyle comes back strong by bringing Kevin Sumlin back home to Dinkytown to his old stompin' ground after he gets thrust out of Texas A&M so they can hire Jimbo Fisher and what do you know.....

Summy leads the Gophs back to the promised land we haven't seen since the 60's!!!!!!

You heard it here first.

Or ... OR ... Fleck means what he's said, that this is a destination job for him, he sticks around, installs his culture, takes the team to a division championship and NY6 bowl by year four, and we don't have to hire a coach that has never won a conference title and has been consistently average at the P5 level. Seems dreamy to me.

UT AD John Currie can't pull in the big name coach that he thinks he can after firing Butch Jones and after watching other schools start picking off the better candidates, he throws big bucks at PJ and hires him away from Minnesota to coach the Vols.

Coyle comes back strong by bringing Kevin Sumlin back home to Dinkytown to his old stompin' ground after he gets thrust out of Texas A&M so they can hire Jimbo Fisher and what do you know.....

Summy leads the Gophs back to the promised land we haven't seen since the 60's!!!!!!

You heard it here first.

Quit pulling my chain. This is real serious stuff.

You heard it here first.

https://youtu.be/yxEF-M2QIUA

Awesome thread! I will wait patiently for my dream scenario to play out once pitched here before. After Fleck leaves for Notre Dame in three years the co-head coach combo of Offensive Coordinator Lane Kiffin and Defensive Coordinator Tracy Claeys will surely restore the Gophers to the place of your grandfather's, grandfather's memories.

I think we should just can Fleck right now and get Brian Ferentz.

This program needs a guy who will recruit the "right" way (just ask him) and irrationally lash out when under pressure.

The Tennessee idea of hiring away Fleck is on the Tennessee thread on Scoop today ("P.J. Fleck is on Currie's list"). Oddly, there is also an insert on Fleck in the regular column. I don't think Fleck would even consider leaving here after one year - he likes Coyle, the area, is just launching the whole project. My dream is Fleck upsets NW and Wisconsin and builds a winner that takes the West in two years and...and...keeps going up.

Fleck isn't leaving. This is stupid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The dream scenario is Michigan beating Wisconsin this week.

The Tennessee idea of hiring away Fleck is on the Tennessee thread on Scoop today ("P.J. Fleck is on Currie's list"). Oddly, there is also an insert on Fleck in the regular column. I don't think Fleck would even consider leaving here after one year - <b>he likes Coyle, the area, </b>is just launching the whole project. My dream is Fleck upsets NW and Wisconsin and builds a winner that takes the West in two years and...and...keeps going up.

I 100% agree with your conclusion, but am curious how you know the bolded part? Because PJ says so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tennessee idea of hiring away Fleck is on the Tennessee thread on Scoop today ("P.J. Fleck is on Currie's list"). Oddly, there is also an insert on Fleck in the regular column. I don't think Fleck would even consider leaving here after one year - he likes Coyle, the area, is just launching the whole project. My dream is Fleck upsets NW and Wisconsin and builds a winner that takes the West in two years and...and...keeps going up.

Since this is year zero, can't he leave without it really having happened?

And yes, this thread is as stupid as this comment. There's a good chance that Fleck's name will be mentioned with just about every opening that comes up this fall. Doesn't mean anything, but it is the goal of his approach.

You heard it here first.

Lmao! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Kevin Sumlin can’t do it at A&M, but he can at Minnesota! You heard it here, you’re clueless.

You heard it here first.

OR:

Vince Lombardi is exhumed and reanimated, accepts the UM coaching job to fill the void created by never being offered the head coaching job at his alma mater, Fordham back in the '50s.

.....PJ is not going anywhere.

You heard it here first.

Hard pass

D1 head FB coaches - especially the most successful ones - are part coach, part politician. They can sound very convincing when expressing their undying love for their current position, and then turn on a dime and announce they are going in a different direction.

Fleck could be at MN for another 10 years. Or he could leave after next year. Either is possible. I am not going to assign percentages for how possible, but it is possible.

Another possibility (but a VERY small possibility) - the team goes into the tank, or has a major off-field scandal, and Fleck gets the boot. Again, not very likely, but possible.

But, I will close with this. If another school wanted Fleck badly enough, and threw an obscene amount of money at him, I suspect he would at least listen to the offer. Even people with very strong principles can be swayed by a check - if the check has enough zeroes on it.

Much of Sumlin's coaching success can be attributed to Case Keenum and Johnny Football. He's a mediocre head coach.

My dream scenario involves Kate Upton. Sorry...

It be more awesome if the Gophers knocked em out of final four contention!!

I'd obviously love this as well. However, I'm not willing to risk it, so, I'll be rooting for Michigan this Saturday.

I 100% agree with your conclusion, but am curious how you know the bolded part? Because PJ says so?

He's Coyle's guy, they are linked - and, yes, because he says so a lot. That the Tennessee AD has him on a short list, doesn't mean much unless PJ wanted it to mean something. He would look very bad in his profession if he jumped ship after one year. Which raises the issue of whether PJ should say at some point (this and every year) that he's dedicated to the Minnesota project. otherwise we have a kind of Glen Mason situation, where Mason said he'd always answer the phone and actually did meet with LSU and Michigan State officials, and later showed an open interest in Ohio State - none of which was appreciated by fans here.

He's Coyle's guy, they are linked - and, yes, because he says so a lot. That the Tennessee AD has him on a short list, doesn't mean much unless PJ wanted it to mean something. He would look very bad in his profession if he jumped ship after one year. Which raises the issue of whether PJ should say at some point (this and every year) that he's dedicated to the Minnesota project. otherwise we have a kind of Glen Mason situation, where Mason said he'd always answer the phone and actually did meet with LSU and Michigan State officials, and later showed an open interest in Ohio State - none of which was appreciated by fans here.

Well, if I have learned one thing in 2017 it is to not take what PJ says at face value. As far as him having to come out and declare he isn't interested in other jobs at this point - that seems rather silly and unnecessary. Others shouldn't be interested and he doesn't need to assure us of anything if he isn't interested. This whole thread is here for amusement only.

Based on his coaching track record (some short stints) I wouldn't be surprised to see him bolt if the right opportunity opened up but I have no idea what his criteria are. He may be finding it harder than expected to recruit high star players to MN. OTOH he may dig his heels in and want to prove he can build a program at the power 5 level, and also be the guy/legend at that school. The latter is not going to happen at a helmet school. Win championships in 3 yrs or you're history. He may die on that MN hill, but his guns will be blazing.

Honestly, no idea. I don't know the man well enough. It doesn't keep me up at night either way.

Top Bottom