Providence Crowd Commotion

gray4heisman

Reaction score
Nosey TV viewer here: Maybe a pointless question but I was wondering what the commotion was behind the Gopher bench the other night in the second half. Game appeared to be in our hands and all of a sudden there was some commotion behind the bench and a bunch of yellow jacket staff members showed up. Pitino appeared to watch it closely until it was resolved. Wondered if anyone knew what was going on. Assume it was an upset fan...

Per a Reddit thread I can't currently find:

Students walk out near the visiting teams bench/fans. A Gopher fan started yelling at the students and got in a confrontation. A few couple punches were thrown.

Appreciate the info. Glad we have some traveling fans who are willing to go down for the ship.

Appreciate the info. Glad we have some traveling fans who are willing to go down for the ship.

Gopher fans probably were tired of the student chants and signs mocking Pitino, and took the opportunity to talk some trash at them at the end, when it was clear we were going to win.

These chants probably are going to be a common theme at visiting arenas all year.

Gopher fans probably were tired of the student chants and signs mocking Pitino, and took the opportunity to talk some trash at them at the end, when it was clear we were going to win.

These chants probably are going to be a common theme at visiting arenas all year.

I doubt it will happen all season. Richard Pitino went to college there, joined the coaching staff there after college and Rick coached for Providence. That was the reason for the chants. I don't recall hearing many of those, if any, at opposing arenas last year.

I doubt it will happen all season. Richard Pitino went to college there, joined the coaching staff there after college and Rick coached for Providence. That was the reason for the chants. I don't recall hearing many of those, if any, at opposing arenas last year.

Unfortunately I do think the chants will be even worse this year. Papa Rick wasn't fired because of an ongoing FBI investigation last year. "The whose your Daddy" chants will turn more personal.

I wonder if the student section purposely walks past the visiting section to leave or if that is the only way for them to exit? Seems stupid to have them all walk right by the visiting bench and fans.

I think the chants will continue to some degree the rest of the year. It's unfortunate because he's not his father. It's unfair to assume Richard's doing the same things his dad did.

Those chants were in spite of the fact that he’s an alum, not because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I do think the chants will be even worse this year. Papa Rick wasn't fired because of an ongoing FBI investigation last year. "The whose your Daddy" chants will turn more personal.

Pitino doesn't strike me as someone that will be bothered by stupid fan chants. If anything if the fans start getting on their coach it might motivate the players even more to try and shut them up by dominating the game. It will be annoying to Gopher fans at the games but outside of that it is what it is.

Pitino doesn't strike me as someone that will be bothered by stupid fan chants. If anything if the fans start getting on their coach it might motivate the players even more to try and shut them up by dominating the game. It will be annoying to Gopher fans at the games but outside of that it is what it is.

Yeah, I agree with this. If I go back to the Kohl Center this year, you might see a flock of yellow event staff jackets on TV again :cool:

If I’m a coach of a top 15 program making millions of dollars, I’m not sure I’d give two $hits what a bunch of pimply-assed, drunk, philosophy major frat boys chanted when my team was about to put their team in the hurt bag.

On a somewhat serious note, what protection is given to the visiting team bench? I see in soccer games that there's actually a barrier/cover for the players that are sitting on the bench. Hope this isn't something needed at basketball games, but it'd take just one or two stupid fans to do something and you'd see barriers like that popping up at basketball stadiums.

On a somewhat serious note, what protection is given to the visiting team bench? I see in soccer games that there's actually a barrier/cover for the players that are sitting on the bench. Hope this isn't something needed at basketball games, but it'd take just one or two stupid fans to do something and you'd see barriers like that popping up at basketball stadiums.

I would hope there is some security stationed behind both benches or at least in the general vicinity at all arenas to fend of the random drunken idiot.

Top Bottom