December 8 2017 - Official Visitors / Walk-Ons List

hungan1

Reaction score
Interesting Tidbits:

1. Official Visits for all committed Gopher recruits occurring at the same time on December 8, 2017. I don't recall this ever happening before.

2. Zach Annexstad is NOT officially listed as a walk-on (can we expect a bump on his rating given his recent performances?), AND he is bringing fellow IMG team mate Curtis Dunlap (current Florida commit) with for an official visit. Good time to dream the impossible dream...

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/Visits

3. Important Dates:
NLI Early Signing Period - December 20-22, 2017.
Midyear JC Transfer - December 20, 2017 to January 15, 2018.
Regular Signing Period - February 7 2018 to April 1, 2018.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html

If PJ Fleck holds on to these recruits, this will be a very solid class top to bottom.

I have a question: Is PJ Fleck now casting a wider net that includes CA? If I recall, he mentioned when he took the job that most of his recruiting will be within a certain radius from Minneapolis or something like that. It will be nice to establish a CA pipeline.

Walk-Ons:
Zach Annexstad, IMG Academy, Bradenton FL, PRO, 6' 2.5", 202 lbs, 0.8125
(Note: Verbal Unofficial Walk-on, but NOT listed - Possibility of a scholarship?)

Trevor Oppedal, Bule Earth Area Senior, Blue Earth MN, OT, 6' 7', 275 lbs. 0.7698 - Walk-On

Micah Roane, Chaska HS, Chaska MN, WDE, 6' 4", 235 lbs, 0.7498 - Walk-on

Jack McNeil, Edgewood, Madison WI, TE, 6' 5", 245 lbs, NR - Walk-On (Right under Badgers' nose)

Michael Vojvodich, Woodson, Fairfax VA, LS, 6' 2", 195 lbs, NR - Walk-On

Am I missing anyone?

Looks like 247 has Annexstad rated an 86. He’s definitely improved his rating this season.

When you click on his profile, the walk on symbol is still there.

Interesting Tidbits:

1. Official Visits for all committed Gopher recruits occurring at the same time on December 8, 2017. I don't recall this ever happening before.

Sure hope we have decent weather that weekend.

There will never be a CA pipeline to MN. Or any B1G school.

I think the remaining priorities are:

1. QB
2. Offensive Guard
3. Safety
4. Blocking TE

Doesn't Nebraska get a lot of its players from California?

They have snagged a few in the past. With Riley and his staff's history in CA they were dreaming of bringing a bunch of the skill players from there. They even coined a term for it. "Calibraska." Welp, the alarm went off and the dream ended.

It can be done. But, it will be most likely a trickle than a gusher.

We may get lucky and pick someone who has connections to MN, or out of the blue we get players like Cedric Thompson, Drew Wolitarski, and now Ben Davis.

Georgia is a good pipeline for us. You just have to place dedicated recruiting resources like we did in Georgia to recruit in CA. The only problem is geographically CA is a lengthy and diverse state. The question is what will be the return on investment. Most CA players want to stay in the Pac 12.

They have snagged a few in the past. With Riley and his staff's history in CA they were dreaming of bringing a bunch of the skill players from there. They even coined a term for it. "Calibraska." Welp, the alarm went off and the dream ended.

There is a "Calisota" which is the "state" Duckburg is in, as in Donald Duck/DuckTales/ScroogeMcDuck. I wish I didn't know that.

Silly Nebraska.

There is a "Calisota" which is the "state" Duckburg is in, as in Donald Duck/DuckTales/ScroogeMcDuck. I wish I didn't know that.

Silly Nebraska.

That might be the most useful thing I glean from gopherhole this week.

Advantage of Georgia over Cal is that Atlanta is a $200 flight away and Atlanta is the sole population center for the whole SE.

Easy down, easy back. Lots of talent in one spot.

That might be the most useful thing I glean from gopherhole this week.

It's useful alright...
calisota__968383.jpg

Advantage of Georgia over Cal is that Atlanta is a $200 flight away and Atlanta is the sole population center for the whole SE.

Yup, Mosquitoapolis and Hotlanta are both Delta Hubs.

I hope McNeil turns out better than Maxx was. Badger fans would be annoyed.

A few years ago there was a lengthy thread here on a the number of players a state had in the NFL vs. it's recruiting stars. California and Texas scored low. They seemed to be over-recruited. Meanwhile, the opposite was true of Georgia, Virginia, Carolina and Mississippi.

A few years ago there was a lengthy thread here on a the number of players a state had in the NFL vs. it's recruiting stars. California and Texas scored low. They seemed to be over-recruited. Meanwhile, the opposite was true of Georgia, Virginia, Carolina and Mississippi.

Were they over recruited or over rated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stars aside and 2016 figures of number of rostered NFL players by state:
Florida 193 players, California 187, Texas 160, Georgia 97, Ohio 80, Pennsylvania 66, and Louisiana 63.

I am hoping that Curtis Dunlap makes it on the plane to MSP with Zach Annexstad.

Memo to Curtis: We need you! You can play immediately, and you have Coach Ed Warinner, one of the top OL coaches in the country who can put you in the NFL!

Latest December 8 Mass Official Visit as of 11/29/2017:

There are now 27 official visitors! PJ Fleck is cooking something.

We have Antonio Montero - Eden Prairie (most likely PWO) listed.
Outside Linebacker, 6' 0", 210 lbs, 0.7898

We now have two OLs listed:
Curtis Dunlop - IMG Academy (Bradenton Florida)
Offensive Guard, 6' 4", 368 lbs, 0.9185, No. 208 National Recruit

Jason Dickson - Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill CA)
Offensive Tackle, 6' 7", 295 lbs, 0.8463, No. 57 JC Rank

If Montero commits, there will be 9 PWOs.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/Visits

Pretty sure Williams is visiting that weekend too.

Craig Williams, current RB commit to Baylor?

Where did you see Craig Williams is coming? I wonder if we are recruiting him as a RB or WR?

Randon Hayes' cyrstal ball was now switched to 100% cloudy....I would've liked to land him.

December 8th is setting up to be a huge recruiting weekend that could land this class in the upper 30s if we get Dunlap, Williams and 1 more Juco OL to commit.

Someone educate me .... is it normal for players who are already committed to another Power 5 school, and a top tier program at that (Florida), to still take official visits to other Power 5 schools anyway?

Is he telling Florida coaches "don't worry guys, I'm just taking this thing for a joyride. First class airfare, free top dollar meals, the players are going to take me to the party house and get me wasted, the pretty hostesses are going to sleep with me, you know, the usual". :p

I mean, to my thinking, there's always a chance to flip a 17/18 year old young man's mind, if you wine him, dine him, and preach to him enough ...

Someone educate me .... is it normal for players who are already committed to another Power 5 school, and a top tier program at that (Florida), to still take official visits to other Power 5 schools anyway?

Is he telling Florida coaches "don't worry guys, I'm just taking this thing for a joyride. First class airfare, free top dollar meals, the players are going to take me to the party house and get me wasted, the pretty hostesses are going to sleep with me, you know, the usual". :p

I mean, to my thinking, there's always a chance to flip a 17/18 year old young man's mind, if you wine him, dine him, and preach to him enough ...

Well Florida did just hired a new head coach, so I wouldn't blame a recruit for reconsidering a commitment if that head coach was a main motivator to go there for them.

Ah, that is true. Good point. Thanks

Still, wouldn't mind if someone just confirmed for me that usually, under normal circumstances, coaches don't like their committed players taking official visits to any other school, for any reason. Seems like common sense? Maybe not, I don't know.

I mean, there is still someone on the staff at Florida that is doing the work of "interim recruiting coordinator", or something to that effect, that has to be pissed at him for taking the visit, possibly threatening to pull the offer?

Is this December 8th "mass-visit" a regular thing or is this new?

Have we done it before where everyone shows up same day or is this a PJ idea?

I know this has been discussed, but we have 24 current commits. We can take a max of 28 correct? Meaning we only have 4 slots left?

Ideally:
Craig Williams
Curtis Dunlop
Jason Dickinson
TBD: DB or QB

I know this has been discussed, but we have 24 current commits. We can take a max of 28 correct? Meaning we only have 4 slots left?

Ideally:
Craig Williams
Curtis Dunlop
Jason Dickinson
TBD: DB or QB
Most expect us to be able to take 26 or maybe 27. Have to have scholarships available if you are gonna get to 28 and doesn't seem like we will right now.

Top Bottom