December 8 2017 - Official Visitors / Walk-Ons List

With how Zack played this year it's really easy to conclude he deserves a scholarship, but, we're running out of slots. Basically Zack is giving up a scholly so that Dunlop can get one. Zach's family appears to be pretty well off, but this still kind of takes "team player" to a new level.

Takes F.A.M.I.Y. to a new level. Zack is a player you'd want in your program with that type of selfless team player and leader.

I'd be pretty surprised if Waggoner goes anywhere but Iowa - he has been there a ton, five unofficial visits - but would be a very good get and, along with Reigelsperger, represent some pretty darn good on-paper talent coming to the d-line.

I just thought of something. Potentially, the Gophers have a chance to have the best recruiting class in the B1G West! Scary thought.

Was not having a bowl game a benefit because they can recruit more?

Was not having a bowl game a benefit because they can recruit more?

Almost certainly not, they'd be doing this recruiting with a bowl game or not. While we're in a contact period now, December 17th is a quiet period (only on-campus and text/phone/mail communication allowed) and December 18th through January 11th is a dead period (only text/phone/mail communication allowed).

I'd be pretty surprised if Waggoner goes anywhere but Iowa - he has been there a ton, five unofficial visits - but would be a very good get and, along with Reigelsperger, represent some pretty darn good on-paper talent coming to the d-line.

Doesn’t unofficial visit basically mean dad and son jumped in the car, drove to Iowa City on their own dime, walked around, met with coaches, etc?

Isn’t that a family’s private business, at that point? Why is that info known? Privacy comes to mind, at some point ...

Doesn’t unofficial visit basically mean dad and don jumped in the car, drove to Iowa City on their own dime, walked around, met with coaches, etc?

Basically, yes. The player is likely invited to hang out on campus by the coaches, but travel must be paid by the family.

Isn’t that a family’s private business, at that point? Why is that info known? Privacy comes to mind, at some point ...

It's probably as private as they and/or the school want it to be. In this case, I'm pulling the info from his 247 timeline. All that info gets passed to 247 somehow - whether via Twitter, program sources, coaches, or somewhere else.

Has Craig Williams visit for this weekend been confirmed yet? There is still nothing on 247 about it.

The vibe I’m getting on Williams is that the Gophs are interested in him but they also know that they already have 2 RB’s committed and 3 WR’s as well. I get he’s a different skillset than them but methinks that with only what like 2-3 spots left, they want Dunlap and Dickson for sure and from there it’s best player available. Basically, they like him and if they have a spot for him and he wants to come, then great but he is not a top priority at this moment

The vibe I’m getting on Williams is that the Gophs are interested in him but they also know that they already have 2 RB’s committed and 3 WR’s as well. I get he’s a different skillset than them but methinks that with only what like 2-3 spots left, they want Dunlap and Dickson for sure and from there it’s best player available. Basically, they like him and if they have a spot for him and he wants to come, then great but he is not a top priority at this moment

Really? I feel like he'd be the most dynamic RB recruit when compared to the other 2. His tape just jumps out.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but looks like 3-star LB Spencer Lytle is unofficially visiting on Friday. He has offers from UCLA, Indiana, Arizona, BC, Colorado, UConn, Duke, Oregon State, Pitt.

EDIT: He's a 2019 prospect.

Really? I feel like he'd be the most dynamic RB recruit when compared to the other 2. His tape just jumps out.

Can’t preach the things this staff does and then rescind scholarships because we found a better guy. If the numbers don’t work they don’t work. Wasn’t there a Wisconsin back this happened to a couple years back where we didn’t have a spot for him?

It’s very possible RB Williams doesn’t want his name listed. He’s still committed to Baylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t preach the things this staff does and then rescind scholarships because we found a better guy. If the numbers don’t work they don’t work. Wasn’t there a Wisconsin back this happened to a couple years back where we didn’t have a spot for him?

Braderick Shaw. Tried to commit here last minute but we didn’t have the spot and ended up at Wisconsin

Any rumors on which way Dunlap is leaning? Can he take more visits than just ours?

Any rumors on which way Dunlap is leaning? Can he take more visits than just ours?

Recruiting insiders at 247 have him as a Minnesota lean, but I imagine he's hearing from a lot of schools. Rumors are that he's talking to Texas and Michigan as well.

He can take more visits - to date he's only officially visited Arkansas, so he has up to four more that he can take (three if you include his visit to Minnesota this weekend). But you have to think we have the inside track given he'll be on campus this weekend and could sign a NLI on December 20.

per Randy:

A “palooza,’’ as it has become to be known, is a big, exaggerated, festive event, and Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck and his staff will be throwing one this weekend.

From Friday through Sunday, the Gophers will hold “eLITe18Palooza,’’ with as many as 34 recruits expected to make their official visits to the University of Minnesota campus and the Twin Cities, according to 247Sports. Included in that are 22 of 23 players who have verbally committed to Minnesota. Quarterback Vic Viramontes won’t attend because he already made his official visit on Nov. 26-27 and committed to the Gophers.

The Gophers also will be host to players who haven’t committed, and their top offensive line target will be one of them. Curtis Dunlap, a 6-4, 368-pound guard from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., on Tuesday withdrew his commitment from Florida. “I’ve decided to decommit from the University of Florida and open my recruitment back up,’’ Dunlap posted on Twitter. Oklahoma, Miami, Michigan, Florida State and Georgia are among the nearly 40 teams who have offered Dunlap a scholarship.

Dunlap is a four-star recruit and the ninth-best guard in the Class of 2018, as ranked by 247Sports. His teammate at IMG Academy, quarterback Zack Annexstad, has committed to the Gophers as a preferred walk-on. Dunlap verbally committed to Florida in July, but the Gators coach at the time, Jim McElwain, was later fired. Former Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen took over as Gators coach on Nov. 26.

http://www.startribune.com/can-the-gophers-return-to-a-defensive-identity-this-season/462124393/

Go Gophers!!

Haha!

PJ Fleck said he wanted to cast a net within a few hours from TCF Bank. Well, California qualifies. About three and a half hours to Southern Cal. Are we developing more recruiting interests/pipeline in the Forty Niners State?

All that info gets passed to 247 somehow

Should it have, though?

Where is the line? What if a website wanted to track what some high school player was eating for breakfast every day??

Should it have, though?

Where is the line? What if a website wanted to track what some high school player was eating for breakfast every day??

Ehhh....depends? If the player posted their breakfast on social media every day, it's fair game. If the player gave the chef and/or wait staff permission to tell outside sources what they ate, it's fair game. If the player explicitly told the chef and wait staff not to share, not fair game.

If the player was photographed walking into the restaurant, but done so in a non-invasive way from a public street? Legal, and probably fair game although a little TMZ for my taste. If the player was harassed about where they were going for breakfast with phone calls, texts, or being stopped on the street, not fair game.

Basically, I think players and their families need to understand when and how this type of information will be shared and control it in the way they see fit. If they don't want these recruiting sites to know they're unofficially visiting a school, they should be able to tell the staff of that school to keep it hush-hush and the staff should honor that request.

Fair enough!

This is clearly big business. This information has real value to some people. I can see why the high school players want to sell their own informa ..... oh yeah, whoops, the BS "amateurism" rules again ...

The players directly speak with the recruiting insiders if they want to. The Insiders only post what the recruit wants them to post ex.) Silent Verbal, Silent visit. etc.

Kirk Ferentz quickly reined in John Waggoner when he started sniffing around the Gophers and Nebraska. He committed today. Maybe, Waggoner wanted all along to be a Hawkeye and took the golden opportunity to force Ferentz to give him a solid committable offer or vice versa: Ferentz wants him, but he was sniffing around.

Hogs have a very keen sense of smell. :pig:

https://247sports.com/player/john-waggoner-93609

Zack Annexstad tweeted a reply to Dunlap's tweet about reopening his commitment with:

"�� I already told y’all. #RTB"

I took that as a good sign.

Top Bottom