December 8 2017 - Official Visitors / Walk-Ons List

Twenty six commits plus nine recruits per Karen Beier (Austin's mom)! Don't know if some are on unofficial visits or are PWOs. It sounds like they gave every recruit and their families very thoughtful personalized cavalier treatment. It sounds like Heather Fleck and Gopher staff helpers & spouses of coaches.

I hope it translates into new commitments. Hope for the best!

Wait a minute - she said 26 commits, not 23! Did we get 3 new unannounced commits?

Twenty six commits plus nine recruits per Karen Beier (Austin's mom)! Don't know if some are on unofficial visits or are PWOs. It sounds like they gave every recruit and their families very thoughtful personalized cavalier treatment. It sounds like Heather Fleck and Gopher staff helpers & spouses of coaches.

Wait a minute - she said 26 commits, not 23! Did we get 3 new unannounced commits?

Maybe the counting was off...

But what did AJ Barkers mom’s friend say? Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully with four commits - Brock & Zack Annexstad, Curtis Dunlop, and Daniel Faalele, we start a new pipeline with IMG Academy!

[h=1]Gophers receive commitments from two massive Florida linemen[/h]St. Paul Pioneer Press , Andy Greder 12/9/2017

[FONT=&quot]The Gophers received a pair of oral commitments from two enormous Florida linemen on Saturday night. Curtis Dunlap and Daniel Faalele, teammates at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., announced their pledges to Minnesota’s 2018 class during their official visits over the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dunlap, who’s listed at 6-foot-4, 368-pound guard, is a four-star recruit who de-committed from the Florida Gators on Tuesday. He was offered a scholarship from Minnesota on Nov. 10 and had other offers from Florida State, LSU, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma and Georgia, and others, according to 247sports.com.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Officially committed to be a Golden Gopher !! #RTB, #SkiUMah,” Curtis Dunlap tweeted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Faalele, who’s even bigger at 6-8 and 400 pound, is a three-star recruit and is listed as an offensive tackle. He was offered by Minnesota in March when he visited the Gophers during spring practices and had other offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, LSU, Michigan and others, per 247sports.com.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I am 1000% committed to the university of Minnesota. Please Respect my decision. #RTB #SkiUMah,” Faalele tweeted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The pledges bring Minnesota’s class up to the cap of 25 commitments ahead of the early signing period from Dec. 20-22.[/FONT]

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/09/gophers-receive-commitments-from-two-massive-florida-linemen/

Who are the mystery recruits? Are going to sign another to against 2017?

BREAKING: Gophers Land 4-star OL Curtis Dunlap!
Gophers land No. 24 in the 2018 class.

Kyle Goblirsch - 4 hours ago

P.J. Fleck and the Gophers staff continue their late surge to close the class of 2018 with a bang, landing IMG Academy (Fla.) 4-star OL Curtis Dunlap during his official visit to Minnesota.

Dunlap was previously committed to Florida, opening up a commitment this last week that started in July; though the program recently went through a coaching change. Dunlap held more than 35 plus other offers from programs such as Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami and Michigan among others.

The 6-foot-4, 368-pound interior lineman is also a current roommate of PWO 3-star QB commit for Minnesota, Zack Annexstad. That connection played a vital role for Minnesota in flipping the road grading lineman.

Dunlap is currently rated the No. 6 OG in the country and is a Top247 prospect overall, holding a 4-star grading of 0.9220 according to 247Sports Composite. He is now the top OL commit for Minnesota in the internet/rating era and just the second 4-star OL commit, the first since Jimmy Gjere in 2011.

Curtis competed in the Opening this summer and is also an Under Armour All-American selection as well, which will take place the first week of January. He's also an early enrollee, so will transition directly up to Dinkytown thereafter.

Stay tuned to GI for more on Dunlap and his decision to join the Gophers class of 2018.

Author
Kyle Goblirsch @GobieMN

BREAKING: Gophers Land HUGE OL Daniel Faalele
Gopher land No. 25 in the class of 2018.

Kyle Goblirsch - 101 minutes ago

P.J. Fleck and the Gophers staff grab another one in the class of 2018, landing IMG Academy (Fla.) 3-star OL Daniel Faalele during his official visit to Minnesota.

Faalele, a massive 6-foot-9 400-pound lineman, is originally from Australia but made his way to the US through IMG Academy to play football. He's still new to the sport, only playing the last two years and possesses tremendous upside as a future offensive tackle. He was a Nike Opening offensive lineman this summer and was already picked to play in the Under Armour All-Star game in January as well.

Daniel held more than 20 other offers from programs such as Alabama and Georgia, both CFP teams that he took official visits to last month. Florida, Arkansas, LSU, Miami and Michigan are among the other programs that had offered Faalele.

The IMG prep is currently rated the No. 27 OT in the country overall, holding a 3-star grading of 0.8858 according to 247Sports Composite. 247Sports Crystal Ball was 57% accurate predicting Faalele to Minnesota, with all predictions rolling in this last week.

Daniel is an early signee (12/20) and will enroll at Minnesota next month following the UA All-Star game.

Stay tuned to GI for more on Faalele and his decision to join the Gophers class of 2018.

Author
Kyle Goblirsch @GobieMN

So anybody got the updated list for January enrollees?

So anybody got the updated list for January enrollees?

Curtis Dunlop
Daniel Fa'alele
Victor Viramontes
Alex Riegelsperger
Jornell Manns
Thomas Rush
Nathan Boe
Zack Annexstad

Did Dunlop and Faalele verbally commit to Coach Ed Warinner (with Coach Maurice Linguist) during the IMG Academy coaches' visit? Where both kids told to keep it quiet until the OV official announcements? Warinner and Linguist where smiling awful broadly in that picture of the four of them together. Ummmm. :confused:

Maybe that is what Justin Beier's mom meant by twenty-six commits in attendance. Could it be she was including Zack, Curtis, and Daniel?

Zack has been on this boat for a long time but he's a walk on not a scholarship player so no he wouldn't factor into the 26

Curtis Dunlop
Daniel Fa'alele
Victor Viramontes
Alex Riegelsperger
Jornell Manns
Thomas Rush
Nathan Boe
Zack Annexstad

From what others have said we have 3 we can count towards 17 possibly of these guys since they are early enrollees? Also, we have to be at 85 with these new 2 or do we still have 1 left?

From what others have said we have 3 we can count towards 17 possibly of these guys since they are early enrollees? Also, we have to be at 85 with these new 2 or do we still have 1 left?

They're at 85 right now if no one transfers.

There will need to be some grayshirts among this class. I hope they all stick with us, but we need all 5 of the OL that attended. 2 JUCOs that should be immediate help on our OL which needs starters AND depth. The early enrollees have the chance to contribute immediate too.

That rule changed. The limit is 25 with some exceptions I don't understand. From what I have read, VV is the only exception. I think our limit is 26 this year. This is according to $ sites. Do t ask me to explain it.

Would the 26th spot (if indeed we do have one) go to JUCO OL Jason Dickson/another JUCO lineman, or to one of the mystery visitors?

IMHO, a JUCO OL infusion will benefit us immediately. JUCOs can sign between December 20 and January 15 2018. I think there are things happening between now and then. If indeed it is Jason Dickson, then with Dunlop, Faalele, Beier, York, Boe, and Norton we will have seven OLs this year which means we will have good depth going into next season.

The early NSD is between December 20 and December 22. The regular NSD is between February 7 and April 1 2018.
Adding anyone else depends on who leaves the team due to transfers and/or medical reasons.

Is it possible that someone is close to a decision on leaving the team, and one of the mystery prospects is waiting in the wings? Who knows. I don't know all the details and rules. I hope the player(s) they take is someone that can make an impact.

We won't expect this many scholie slots next year. The coaching change precipitated the large movement of players.

I would think an exception is an older guy ... a transfer of some sort ... that has less than four years left in his eligibility window, who is essentially "filling in" or "stepping into" a roster spot that was vacated by someone leaving the program early. That seems like a valid exception to the signing rule, IMO.

Not saying that is the way it works, just what I think about it.

Sounds like there is at least 1 more guy that is transferring but has not made it public yet so we will have 1 scholarship left to use. Also with the new signing date it seems they have changed some rules and there are only very specific cases that would allow you to sign over 25. I think Viramontes is one of thoes exceptions because he has already signed a NLI out of high school with Cal. So the Gophers should be adding 1 more player to this class and the only way they would be able to add more than 1 more is if a current commit decommitted. I would bet 1 of the 3 guys that are uncommitted or committed elsewhere currently on campus commits to the Gophers either today or tomorrow.

Sheesh! That would mean this class on paper will rival Brewster's 2008 & 2009 classes.

This be no means cause immediate in wins next season. But, you have to be optimistic about the future if PJ Fleck continues to recruit a class that have an average individual composite score of 86.0 or better.

That is the talent level that is on par with Wisconsin's.

Check out Jacob Huff’s instagram story for some pretty funny video of the hypnotist at the event

Sheesh! That would mean this class on paper will rival Brewster's 2008 & 2009 classes.

This be no means cause immediate in wins next season. But, you have to be optimistic about the future if PJ Fleck continues to recruit a class that have an average individual composite score of 86.0 or better.

That is the talent level that is on par with Wisconsin's.

The hope is, essentially, that Fleck's experience at WMU will allow him to avoid the pitfalls that Brewster faced and was not able to overcome.

Hard to not be optimistic after this weekend. Game day fleck has to improve, but recruiting fleck is getting it done

Doubt we go JUCO OL at this point. IMO, it was one of either of Faleele or Dickson. Maybe if we don't get Verdis or Sqirwl then he becomes an option but I imagine he's on the backburner.

Doubt we go JUCO OL at this point. IMO, it was one of either of Faleele or Dickson. Maybe if we don't get Verdis or Sqirwl then he becomes an option but I imagine he's on the backburner.

Despite the interest in him, Faalele will need a redshirt year with how raw he is. If you have the extra scholarship and you can get Dickson you take him every time. Wouldn't want to expose Andries before he's ready either.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom