December 8 2017 - Official Visitors / Walk-Ons List

IMHO, PJ Fleck landing one or two four star prospects in this class will enhance the chances of landing an even better recruiting class in 2019.

Prospects like Hank Bachmeier may seriously consider the Gophers as a good destination knowing that PJ Fleck can recruit to a higher level and probably enhance the chances that he and others like him see that the program is on the rise. They'd want to be a part of something big like this.

I agree. This seems like it could be a turning point type weekend for this program. If Fleck is able to flip some of these 4 star guys that could pave the way for a big step up in 2019. The reason the class is so high is because of the quantity, but flipping some of these guys would solidify Minnesota as a top 40 class which would be huge. The past few years we have been in the Mid-60's so that would be a big jump in 1 year

Looks like it could be a good class. I'll wait and see what happens.

I agree. This seems like it could be a turning point type weekend for this program. If Fleck is able to flip some of these 4 star guys that could pave the way for a big step up in 2019. The reason the class is so high is because of the quantity, but flipping some of these guys would solidify Minnesota as a top 40 class which would be huge. The past few years we have been in the Mid-60's so that would be a big jump in 1 year

Stars are sometimes not what they appear to be.

The 5 year period from 2013-2017 the Rivals stars showed the following: Gophers averaged 54, Becky 39 and Huskers 25.

So much for stars.

Nebraska has talent. They have had poor coaching.

We were 46th in 2016. These things are easy to look up and verify.

Nebraska has talent. They have had poor coaching.

Some more star stats to chew on.

The past five years Tennessee ranked an average of #12 on rivals and managed to win just 35% of its conference games. Texas ranked #20 and won 53% and Texas A&M ranked #11 and won 48%.

I realize star rankings are not an exact science and many factors enter into each teams final record. Wisconsin is a good example of getting players that fit their system and keep on having success.

Fleck / Claeys
2017 -59th / 12th (was going to be a lot worse until Fleck came in)

Kill / Claeys
2016 - 46th / 8th (Basically the top half of the class was Minnesota kids

Kill
2015 - 63rd / 13th
2014 - 57th / 11th
2013 -67th / 14th
2012 - 59th / 12th
2011 - 57th / 12th

Brewster
2010 - 52nd / 9th
2009 - 35th / 8th
2008 - 26th / 5th

Mason - Brewster

2007 - 48th / 10th
2006 - 59th / 12th
2005 - 53rd / 10th
2004 - 53rd / 9th
2003 - 45th / 9th
2002 - 74th / 13th
2001 - 51st / 11th
2000 - 44th / 10th

From this you can see Kill was a poor recruiter compared to our other MN coaches.

This might explain why we never beat any top 20 programs with Kill.

The past five years Tennessee ranked an average of #12 on rivals and managed to win just 35% of its conference games. Texas ranked #20 and won 53% and Texas A&M ranked #11 and won 48%.

I realize star rankings are not an exact science and many factors enter into each teams final record. Wisconsin is a good example of getting players that fit their system and keep on having success.

I think you need a good recruiting class to beat the big dogs.

WI does fine beating up on us, Iowa, NW, etc.

Also, they have a lot more recruiting classes in the 30's and 40's then we do.

The rankings lose validity if the coaches can’t get them to develop within their system. The whole package is talented players, who buy into system/development, and become a team.

Did you look at Alabama?

Alabama has ranked #1 and they mostly win.
They even have a couple national titles.

We should probably try to get better players like Alabama does rather than be happy with classes ranked in the 60s.

The rankings lose validity if the coaches can’t get them to develop within their system. The whole package is talented players, who buy into system/development, and become a team.

Similarly, if a coach can take “lower” ranked players and develop them into better college players, that’s also valid.

But yes, ideally your total package would be the best.

Fleck / Claeys

Kill / Claeys

Kill
2015 - 63rd / 13th
2014 - 57th / 11th
2013 -67th / 14th
2012 - 59th / 12th
2011 - 57th / 12th

Brewster
2010 - 52nd / 9th
2009 - 35th / 8th
2008 - 26th / 5th

Mason - Brewster

2007 - 48th / 10th
2006 - 59th / 12th
2005 - 53rd / 10th
2004 - 53rd / 9th
2003 - 45th / 9th
2002 - 74th / 13th
2001 - 51st / 11th
2000 - 44th / 10th

From this you can see Kill was a poor recruiter compared to our other MN coaches.

And the University was still paying off Mason, Monson, and Brewster contracts at the time Kill was here.

Recruiting rankings matter, which has been discussed at nauseam. If Fleck brings in several higher ranked classes, we'll have a better chance of winning in the future.

Fleck / Claeys

Kill / Claeys

Kill
2015 - 63rd / 13th
2014 - 57th / 11th
2013 -67th / 14th
2012 - 59th / 12th
2011 - 57th / 12th

Brewster
2010 - 52nd / 9th
2009 - 35th / 8th
2008 - 26th / 5th

Mason - Brewster

2007 - 48th / 10th
2006 - 59th / 12th
2005 - 53rd / 10th
2004 - 53rd / 9th
2003 - 45th / 9th
2002 - 74th / 13th
2001 - 51st / 11th
2000 - 44th / 10th

People keep telling me that Claeys' inability to recruit is part of the reason that he was fired, and that Fleck's ability to recruit is going to make us better, but by that metric, Brewster was the best coach we've ever had.

People keep telling me that Claeys' inability to recruit is part of the reason that he was fired, and that Fleck's ability to recruit is going to make us better, but by that metric, Brewster was the best coach we've ever had.

It's almost like recruiting, player development and PR/community & university relations are three major pillars of being a college football coach and you better excel at at least two of them if you want a shot at being big-time successful.

Steve Wilfong just flipped Curtis Dunlap to Minnesota on his crystal ball. That would be sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Wilfong just flipped Curtis Dunlap to Minnesota on his crystal ball. That would be sweet!

aVOSkIC.gif

Not sure if this has been posted but Dunlap de-committed from Florida. Very good chance that he could be a Gopher this weekend.

So did Kyle Goblirsch:

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/TargetPredictions

We've got fifteen days until NSD. We hope he commits and sticks to MN.

THIS. Curtis Dunlop and Vic Viramontes are the most crucial later commitments for the GOphers.

If we can only convince Quinn Carroll and Bryce Benhart to be homers next year...

You have to admit. It must be fun taking a recruiting visit to MN. The energy of a young coach, new facilities, nice outdoor on campus stadium, and coming to a beautiful metropolitan area that has a lot more to offer than what people from down South may perceive.

Ed Warinner and PJ Fleck are magicians if they pull this off. Kudos to Zack Annexstad for networking and recruiting his friend and fellow team mate.

Recruiting rankings matter, which has been discussed at nauseam. If Fleck brings in several higher ranked classes, we'll have a better chance of winning in the future.

***IF*** those highly ranked recruits arrive to Mpls not full of themselves and are actually will to work hard and earn the position. Being a top high school player does not guarantee you’ll develop into a great college player.

Man, the bad weather picked a bad weekend to show up!

***IF*** those highly ranked recruits arrive to Mpls not full of themselves and are actually will to work hard and earn the position. Being a top high school player does not guarantee you’ll develop into a great college player.

You wouldn't want head cases that do not fit into the proverbial Gopher helmet.

So did Kyle Goblirsch:

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/TargetPredictions

We've got fifteen days until NSD. We hope he commits and sticks to MN.

THIS. Curtis Dunlop and Vic Viramontes are the most crucial later commitments for the GOphers.

If we can only convince Quinn Carroll and Bryce Benhart to be homers next year...

You have to admit. It must be fun taking a recruiting visit to MN. The energy of a young coach, new facilities, nice outdoor on campus stadium, and coming to a beautiful metropolitan area that has a lot more to offer than what people from down South may perceive.

Ed Warinner and PJ Fleck are magicians if they pull this off. Kudos to Zack Annexstad for networking and recruiting his friend and fellow team mate.

With how Zack played this year it's really easy to conclude he deserves a scholarship, but, we're running out of slots. Basically Zack is giving up a scholly so that Dunlop can get one. Zach's family appears to be pretty well off, but this still kind of takes "team player" to a new level.

Don't you mean Mnpls?

P.J. Fleck set to visit John Waggoner Tuesday, finalize Dec. 8 official visit to Minnesota

Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck is set to visit four-star defensive end John Waggoner at school Tuesday and work to finalize Waggoner's official visit to Minneapolis this weekend, Dowling Catholic head coach Tom Wilson told HawkCentral Monday night.

"I think there's definitely some mutual interest," said Wilson, who's been in recent contact with Gophers defensive line coach Bryce Paul. "And I think that official visit will happen unless something else crazy happens before then."

Wilson said Iowa defensive line coach Reese Morgan will also visit Waggoner at Dowling on Tuesday.

Waggoner also hopes to take an official visit to Iowa before he commits, Wilson said, adding he believes the Hawkeyes are still in the mix. He said his star defensive end spoke with Kirk Ferentz this past weekend and has been in contact with UCLA coaches lately. Nebraska has also emerged as a player in the past few days.

"As the new Nebraska staff gets going, he has had some preliminary contact with them," Wilson said.

Checking in at 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, Waggoner is the state's top 2018 recruit, according to Rivals and the 247Sports Composite. He helped lead Dowling to a state-record fifth consecutive Class 4A title, with his 11 solo tackles for loss and five solo sacks this season.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ize-dec-8-official-visit-minnesota/921877001/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom