Roll call for the former Pitino bashers.

alchemy2u

Reaction score
For the greater part of the last four years many of us that saw the promise in coach Pitino and had to put up with a constant stream of criticism of the coach. The basketball forum was very difficult to follow with all of the negativity. We knew that the only way Minnesota was going to get a potentially great coach was to grab one early and go through the growing pains.
I posted a few years ago that I was going to challenge those posters after they jumped on the bandwagon.
Let’s see who is man enough to admit that they were wrong in their views about Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was not one of the bashers . 90% of college ball success is recruiting, and it seemed to me from the get-go that Pitino had the drive and personality to recruit well. But, you never know until you give a guy a few years. That’s why the quick complaining is a bit ridiculous. Looks like Richard is doing well on the recruiting front. If only a few more of the blue-chip MN kids had a little more MN pride for their home school and stayed home. I don’t fault Pitino for missing on them, though.

For the greater part of the last four years many of us that saw the promise in coach Pitino and had to put up with a constant stream of criticism of the coach. The basketball forum was very difficult to follow with all of the negativity. We knew that the only way Minnesota was going to get a potentially great coach was to grab one early and go through the growing pains.
I posted a few years ago that I was going to challenge those posters after they jumped on the bandwagon.
Let’s see who is man enough to admit that they were wrong in their views about Pitino.

+1

Even during the 8 win year, to me it felt like the winds were changing. A post in another thread said it all...some fans would rather be pessimistic and be right than optimistic and be wrong.

You know in Tubby last year after we curb stomped Illinois Door posted a similar thread calling out the Tubby haters. Don't Jynx it lol. With that said two years ago was tough, we were struggling but as a die-hard you could see what was in the pipeline for transfers and recruits. Thank God for that buyout

I am definitely a Pitino guy, but I'm not sure it helps remove the negativity by starting a thread that calls out the people with whom we disagree. It's unrealistic to expect them to fully embrace what we want. This seems like begging for more (unnecessary) conflict. In general, I dislike calling people out (with the benefit of hindsight). If things hadn't worked out, would we have started a thread to apologize to the same people with whom we disagreed?

I prefer to focus on the positive. Our favorite squad seems to be pointed in the right direction. Though our depth isn't ideal, our rotation is rock-solid. Our coach seems to have some momentum with the team and with recruiting. A B1G game in The Barn is still the best show in town. We have a lot to be excited about!

POLLYANNA! Ski-U-Mah!

As it usually is the vast majority of the negativity comes from a relatively small but very vocal group of people. I am really glad that Pitino survived the administration change and we are finally getting a chance to see the team playing the kind of basketball he wants them to. Hopefully he can keep on building on the foundation he has put in place.

As it usually is the vast majority of the negativity comes from a relatively small but very vocal group of people. I am really glad that Pitino survived the administration change and we are finally getting a chance to see the team playing the kind of basketball he wants them to. Hopefully he can keep on building on the foundation he has put in place.

Agreed.

I am definitely a Pitino guy, but I'm not sure it helps remove the negativity by starting a thread that calls out the people with whom we disagree. It's unrealistic to expect them to fully embrace what we want. This seems like begging for more (unnecessary) conflict. In general, I dislike calling people out (with the benefit of hindsight). If things hadn't worked out, would we have started a thread to apologize to the same people with whom we disagreed?

I prefer to focus on the positive. Our favorite squad seems to be pointed in the right direction. Though our depth isn't ideal, our rotation is rock-solid. Our coach seems to have some momentum with the team and with recruiting. A B1G game in The Barn is still the best show in town. We have a lot to be excited about!

POLLYANNA! Ski-U-Mah!

I know what you’re talking about and I don’t want to get back into the negativity, but it was a very persistent group of posters that would turn every thread into a bash Pitino rant. It was very frustrating to try and have any type of meaningful discussions about the progress that was being made. I just wanted to give them a chance to man-up and admit they should be a little more patient. I doubt that they will, and that truly shows their real purpose for posting on GH.

I know what you’re talking about and I don’t want to get back into the negativity, but it was a very persistent group of posters that would turn every thread into a bash Pitino rant. It was very frustrating to try and have any type of meaningful discussions about the progress that was being made. I just wanted to give them a chance to man-up and admit they should be a little more patient. I doubt that they will, and that truly shows their real purpose for posting on GH.

It is similar to what is going on over on the football board with the group that has decided that they don't like Fleck. It is what it is when you are dealing with anonymous message boards.

I was not a basher nor really a vocal supporter during the ill fated 2016 season. I was resigned the fact that regardless he was going to get another year or two.

In fairness though, any Gopher fan can legitimately question any administrative decision made by Norwood Teague.

+1

Even during the 8 win year, to me it felt like the winds were changing. A post in another thread said it all...some fans would rather be pessimistic and be right than optimistic and be wrong.

It's impossible for this statement to be any less accurate. Unfortunately a big portion of the Gopher fan base is incredibly pessimistic. It sucks sometimes, but point at the Star Tribune or some of the guys on KFAN as part of that problem too. Even after the USC Upstate game, there were SO many posts on this site about fans being disappointed, and this team being the "same as past years." This group of people is unwilling to allow a team to figure it's way out early in the season, let alone budge on pessimistic viewpoints. By the way, USC Upstate had the lead over Georgia for most of the game last night, before falling in the end. I really don't think this group is ever going to change. So let them continue to complain and not enjoy Gopher basketball, even during it's best years.

It's impossible for this statement to be any less accurate. Unfortunately a big portion of the Gopher fan base is incredibly pessimistic. It sucks sometimes, but point at the Star Tribune or some of the guys on KFAN as part of that problem too. Even after the USC Upstate game, there were SO many posts on this site about fans being disappointed, and this team being the "same as past years." This group of people is unwilling to allow a team to figure it's way out early in the season, let alone budge on pessimistic viewpoints. By the way, USC Upstate had the lead over Georgia for most of the game last night, before falling in the end. I really don't think this group is ever going to change. So let them continue to complain and not enjoy Gopher basketball, even during it's best years.

Yes. As someone else posted earlier, the small vocal group seems to have such an incredible impact on the perception of the Gopher hoops program. It's important to remember a few things to keep yourself sane during the hoops season:

- The Gophers will turn the ball over occasionally
- The Gophers will play from behind occasionally
- The Gophers won't constantly hold blowout leads
- The Gophers will lose a game.... gasp!
- Pitino will occasionally make a bad decision
- The Gophers will miss pivotal 3-point shots sporadically
- Bakary Konate will still be Bakary Konate... NO!

... and yet, this will still be the best Gopher hoops team in a LONG time.

It is similar to what is going on over on the football board with the group that has decided that they don't like Fleck. It is what it is when you are dealing with anonymous message boards.

+1.

Careful, or you'll be called a "Fleckster." Such an incredibly clever label.

I think Richard Pitino has proven he can coach and maybe the potential to be a great coach. Really good turnaround last year and this year has a team that looks like they can contend for a B1G title but a long ways to go. Let's see if he can keep the recruiting going and keep the program trending up.

I don't blame anyone who questions the situation when your team has one of the worst seasons in program history and three guys are in trouble for misconduct. So I'm not going to call out any bashers.

The way I would put it is this, though: I think the question has been answered whether the school made a good hire at the time. This was a good hire. Certainly not a bust.

I don't blame anyone who questions the situation when your team has one of the worst seasons in program history and three guys are in trouble for misconduct. So I'm not going to call out any bashers.

The way I would put it is this, though: I think the question has been answered whether the school made a good hire at the time. This was a good hire. Certainly not a bust.

Good post. The one thing that bothered me were the people who don't analyze the entire situation, where the program was at in terms of talent and the cycle that should have been expected. Anyone that thought year two was going to be good just because a coach's second year should progress from the first wasn't putting much thought into it.

Tubby handed Pitino a older but flawed roster that Pitino got a lot out of the first year. When things fell apart in year two with the young kids- the sky was falling and people wanted to fire him. Complaints about the scandal are understandable, but coach dealt with it swiftly and reacted well. Now given the chance to see a few recruiting classes come through we have a real idea what the coach is doing and what he can do when he has talent to work with. Better yet- he seems to have the knack for finding and luring good talent that fits his system pretty well. If the coach stays- we should be good for a long time to come.

I think it is always ok to question things, even when the team is doing well, but there are some that seem to be determined to find the negative in everything. Nothing is going to please those people so there really is no point trying.

2 years ago I had some definite questions about Pitino as well but never got to the point where I wanted him fired and obviously am really glad at this point that they stuck with him.

Always backed Richard. Those who didn’t should own up.

I won’t mention any names, but for about 11 months we had to put up with Les Bolstad laying on the “Lil Ricky” crap, and predicting Pitino’s certain firing come April 2017. Thankfully, that insipid nonsense quietly ended during last season’s successes. :cool02:

+1

The end of the 8 win season showed me a lot to where the kids were still competing, despite being one of the youngest teams in the league at the time (9 of the first 13 Big Ten losses were by single digits). The hard work finally culminated in a win over #6 ranked Maryland (I don't even count the last 4 or so conference games that were marred by scandal). I think that experience has more than paid dividends in terms of the teams toughness and mental makeup. Sometimes the win-loss record doesn't tell the entire story.

Even when the team had hit bottom it was apparent that Pitino was going to move in the right direction. He had a tremulous lack of depth and had to play several players out of position. Injuries, holes in the roster and some glaring early recruiting swing and misses caused the weaknesses. But anyone who took the time to dig deep into the situation knew that Pitino could coach and develop players. That made it so frustrating trying to argue with people who just took a superficial view.

The questioning is fine and critiquing his recruiting is also. But at times it went overboard. Also, no excuse in making certain players whipping boys. You can be critical of how they played without getting nasty. Ya, it's big time college sports and they're getting a scholarship, but they also are representing the Gophers and pretty sure doing the best that they can. It does come with the territory but not to the extent that some folks here take it.

Will admit that I probably came off as skeptical. (I'm a Gopher fan so go figure.) Though I was never calling for him to be fired even after year 3. I think every coach should get 4 years before an AD even considers firing them unless there are issues with NCAA violations or multiple prolonged player conduct issues.

I would say he met expectations in year 1. Thought that team was maybe good enough to be a NCAA tournament team if things broke the right way, but didn't think it would be easy and winning the NIT was a nice consolation for not making it to the dance. Would also say he met expectations in year 2. Wasn't a great year, but with the guys we graduated it was always going to be an uphill battle that season. I didn't think we'd be great in year 3, but didn't expect things to go off the rails that much. He obviously greatly exceeded expectations in year 4 and deserves praise for the way he built that team. I'd give him a solid overall B for his tenure thus far with a good chance to make it an overall B+/A- after this season.

I think it was fair to question the hiring at the time, but I agree with whoever said that at this point the only reasonable conclusion is that he's not a bust. I'm happy with where the program is right now. He's doing a good job.

I won’t mention any names, but for about 11 months we had to put up with Les Bolstad laying on the “Lil Ricky” crap, and predicting Pitino’s certain firing come April 2017. Thankfully, that insipid nonsense quietly ended during last season’s successes. :cool02:
Exactly. I called him out and asked him to stop disrespecting Pitino regardless of his opinion. He responded by calling me a tool. I really do not get why you have to disrespect a coach to express your displeasure with the team. Pitino makes a lot of money and should expect criticism from fans but not name calling.

I've thought Pitino was right man from the start but bruh hasn't even won an NCAA tournament game yet...

I don't think Minnesota is extraordinarily negative but we do seem to crown people too early.

I don't recall ever bashing him on this site, but I admit I had my doubts about him during that 8 win season. I privately thought that he may have been in over his head. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut...

Admittedly, I was not "bashing", but was down on Little Richard. He keeps this winning stuff up, and I will submit my negativity against him, and call him, "Sir Richard!"

I can admit that I questioned his coaching skills, but gave him the benefit of the doubt that he would learn on the job, but outside of that, after year 2, I never doubted him and was in here trying to point out to everyone how his recruiting was steadily improving, how the players were developing and improving, how they were only losing games by close margins, how they were easily one of the youngest teams in the country, and how all of those factors would improve the next year and the year after that and all the doubters and bashers would be proved wrong, and they were. It doesn't happen all of the time, but occasionally I make one of these calls, and I did that year. I didn't pay attention to how many losses they accumulated, I paid attention to how close the margins were, how young the team was, how improved the recruiting was, and predicted a major improvement in year 4 and again in year 5. Well, I could say, I told you so, but I won't, because we haven't won a Natl Title yet and that is the real goal here, right?

But to all of those Pitino bashers, I will say, HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE IT???

lol It's my right to ask that question, so now its your right to try to come up with some LAME ASS excuse why you didn't see what the rest of us saw, lol.

POLLYANNA! Ski-U-Mah!

This practice seems to be enjoyed by a lamentable number of posters here. I shake my head at the number of times I've seen old threads dug up just for the purpose of ridiculing people who turned out to be wrong. Petty, really, really petty.

Top Bottom