The Championship Committee has some questions to be answered

husker70

Reaction score
Alabama
Clemson
Miami
Oklahoma

Wisconsin

If the undefeated team in the Big 10 was say Michigan, Ohio State would they also be 5th?

I hate to say it but all Miami can do is just win out.

Winner of Clemson vs Miami will get in. Most likely the loser will fall out. Also, Alabama more than likely is going to have to play both Auburn & Georgia (SEC title game pending Auburn Win) which will be interesting way to end season.

Wisconsin just needs to win out vs Michigan, Minnesota & B1G East Champ which should be a challenge. I'd be worried about running up against Ohio St again if I was a Badger.

It's becoming an annual thing where they committee seems to set it up to make it look like multiple teams from a conference might get in, then in the end, everyone controls their own destiny through the conference Championships.

I agree on Clemson / Miami loser being out.

Wisconsin can control own destiny now.
OSU crawled back in to #9, just sitting their in striking range.
If Michigan could beat Wisconsin, then OSU beats Michigan, they scratch their way to #6 by then.
Then they can knock off OU by winning over Wisconsin by 55 points again to get in.

I'm just glad Notre Dame is out now. Everyone needed that to happen.

I just said the same thing as AtTheLibrary, but in many more words.

None of the polls matter except the last one.
The committee probably gives the PR team tiers of teams and then the PR decides how they could be ranked to get the most buzz

None of the polls matter except the last one.
The committee probably gives the PR team tiers of teams and then the PR decides how they could be ranked to get the most buzz

It almost seems that way.

It's amusing how they had Georgia #1 over Alabama for a couple weeks. That was really cute.

Then Auburn slams Georgia and the SEC East = Big Ten West in media perception again.

Somehow, Georgia got ranked over Alabama (and everyone) by being unbeaten with a win over Miss St. and a 1 point win over Notre Dame.

If a Big Ten West team does that, they'd be ranked where WI has been the whole year.

Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, and Oklahoma should all drop next week just based on who they are playing. Oklahoma has no choice. But the others should be embarrassed.

Honestly the perfect system would probably be the BCS computer seeding a 4-team playoff.

I feel there is so much personal bias in the current system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly to discuss all these scenarios. Just look at the 247 "talent" rankings and take the top 4.

I've always been against a committee or any small group choosing the final four. As bad as some poll voters are, the suggestion a few years ago that the coaches and writers polls merge for a final ballot always seemed a good idea to me. The polls really don't differ that much from the committee's rankings, anyway, and they include a much larger number of voices. Also, the polls are part of college football history and lore, the AP beginning in 1936 and the coaches in 1950.

Silly to discuss all these scenarios. Just look at the 247 "talent" rankings and take the top 4.

Underachieving (again) USC at 3.
Wisconsin at 37.
Maryland at 28.
Nebraska at 29.
Tennessee at 12.
Penn State 19.

The committee is valuing OU's win over Ohio St. Wisconsin has a terribly weak schedule to date; thus, if Wisconsin wins the B1G and stays undefeated, they will be in b/c their schedule will have included Michigan and either tOSU, MSU or PSU . (all 4 are likely upgrades in the final poll to what they've done to date).

The committee is valuing OU's win over Ohio St. Wisconsin has a terribly weak schedule to date; thus, if Wisconsin wins the B1G and stays undefeated, they will be in b/c their schedule will have included Michigan and either tOSU, MSU or PSU . (all 4 are likely upgrades in the final poll to what they've done to date).

Yea, with Notre Dame and Georgia losing the Badgers should feel pretty safe now if they win out. Only issue would be if Alabama beats Auburn and then loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship. If that happens while Oklahoma and Miami or Clemson also win out things would be really messy:

The ACC champ (undefeated Miami or one-loss Clemson assuming they don't lose to South Carolina) would definitely be in. You'd have to either leave out a one-loss P5 conference champion who had a marquee non-conference win (Oklahoma beat Ohio St, Georgia beat Notre Dame), undefeated conference champion Wisconsin who didn't beat anyone in nonconf play, or a 12-1 Alabama team that didn't win their conference championship. That would be an interesting scenario. If that happens I think it will come down to style points, as the committee's job is to pick the four best teams and not the four most deserving.

Buck the fadgers. Hope they lose out.

The only thing that matters to me is can we beat Wisconsin and take them out of any inkling of championships aspirations? That will be one upset for time immemorial if it can happen. Never say never even if it is a million to Juan chance.

Agreed. Wisc controls their destiny. Win out and they're in.

Now let's ruin it for them ;)

I have been amused listening to pundits discuss how Wisconsin might get left out even going undefeated and in the next breath they talk about what needs to happen for a 2 loss Ohio St team to make the playoff. What a joke!

The committee is completely biased to the blue bloods of college football, its ridiculous.

The playoff must go to 8 teams: There are 130 eligible teams of which only 4 teams get the final opportunity to play for the national championship, or 3%. Basketball 68 teams, baseball 64 teams, hockey 16 teams

I've always been against a committee or any small group choosing the final four. As bad as some poll voters are, the suggestion a few years ago that the coaches and writers polls merge for a final ballot always seemed a good idea to me. The polls really don't differ that much from the committee's rankings, anyway, and they include a much larger number of voices. Also, the polls are part of college football history and lore, the AP beginning in 1936 and the coaches in 1950.

As some guy said, it's the last one that really only counts. These leading up to that are just to stoke interest and make some $$ with the show. I agree it's hard to have a committee pick only the final four. Seems each year this gets a little less clear, so I think we will see an eight game play-off sooner than later.

I have been amused listening to pundits discuss how Wisconsin might get left out even going undefeated and in the next breath they talk about what needs to happen for a 2 loss Ohio St team to make the playoff. What a joke!

To be clear I think guys saying that stuff don't really belive it.... they're just talking to get listeners or clicks or tweets or whatever. I doubt there is anyone unbiased who would serously leave out an undefeated Wisc at the end of the season.

But man it works to get folks all riled up about it.

The committee is completely biased to the blue bloods of college football, its ridiculous.

The playoff must go to 8 teams: There are 130 eligible teams of which only 4 teams get the final opportunity to play for the national championship, or 3%. Basketball 68 teams, baseball 64 teams, hockey 16 teams

Because Ohio St still has a decent chance of making it. Easily better than 50/50 if they win out, and they will be favored by probably at least a TD in each of their remaining games.

To be clear I think guys saying that stuff don't really belive it.... they're just talking to get listeners or clicks or tweets or whatever. I doubt there is anyone unbiased who would serously leave out an undefeated Wisc at the end of the season.

But man it works to get folks all riled up about it.

I think Wisconsin is probably in if they win out no matter what happens elsewhere too, but I still think the scenario where Georgia beats Bama in the SEC title game is an interesting one. It would really force the committee to make some tough decisions on quality wins vs conference championships vs bad losses vs road wins vs finding the 4 best teams. All those things should matter, and it's always interesting to see what is valued most. I have thought that the committee has done a good job in previous years of getting the 4 best teams in the playoff. The most recent set of rankings makes me wonder about this year's committee.

Because Ohio St still has a decent chance of making it. Easily better than 50/50 if they win out, and they will be favored by probably at least a TD in each of their remaining games.

So you could defend an undefeated Wisconsin team being left out?

The year Ohio St won, I could still make the argument that both Baylor and TCU should have been in before them. Its exactly the reason the playoff needs to include 8 teams. And yes, I could rally a group of friends and do just as good of job as any committee. I think most college football fans could too.

The biggest question is why anyone puts stock in the poll before the final rankings are released. Talk about meaningless.

You mean the Baylor team that let Mich St. come back and score 21 points in the 4th quarter to win. I think the committee got that one right. tSOU>Mich. St.>Baylor

So you could defend an undefeated Wisconsin team being left out?

You are talking about a separate scenario right? Cause Ohio St winning out means they beat Wisc in the B1G title game which would eliminate the Badgers from contention.

I wouldn't leave an undefeated WI (or any undefeated P5 champion) out for any two loss team. A one-loss team? Maybe. Depends who. Depends how other things shake out. In my mind you open yourself up to that possibility if you don't play anyone in nonconf

The biggest question is why anyone puts stock in the poll before the final rankings are released. Talk about meaningless.

I think the poll the week of the Championship Games is also meaningful. Because then you can get an idea of the "what-if?" scenarios. Outside of that, absolutely agree.

It is really tough with WI because on one hand the committee has said they value conf champs, but on the other they said they value quality wins. WI hasn't had many of those.

Hopefully they'll lose three straight games so it won't matter. :)

If Wiscy wins out they should be in. The only scenario I see where that may not be the case is if 1 loss Georgia wins SEC championship over Alabama and the committee decides to take both of them and Oklahoma and Clemson/Miami.

Georgia will have argument that their one loss was to Auburn and last game was win over #1 team on neutral site. Alabama will have argument that their one loss was against a very good Georgia team.

Edit: Oops bizzle said pretty much the same thing as me above.

Top Bottom