A few in-game compliments to Murph & Minn Murphy and the teafrom Providence fan forum

cjbfbp

Reaction score
A few in-game compliments to Murph & Minn Murphy and the teafrom Providence fan forum

Impressed with Murph:

"murphy is the best player on the floor. by far. what a player"

"not sure we will play too many skilled post players like Murphy. He's the difference."

"Idk who that #3 is but he’s a monster. Not even mad about the result. He was just too much for PC."

"Murphy beat us tonite with 23 pts & 14 Rebs...and if I recall he road the bench for a while with foul trouble.. Murphy exposed the Friars weakness without Holt tonite, pure & simple"

And a few compliments to the Minnesota team in general:

"Minnesota is probably a top 10 team all season. Very good team.. unstoppable near the rim"

"Minnesota is easily a sweet 16 caliber team.I actually was in fear of an early blow out."

"Murphy and the team with much less depth earned and deserved that win. We will get there. I thought we might have already gotten there, but it looks like a little bit longer... The refs, again, ruined that game from a spectator's vantage point, but Minnesota made shot after shot when they needed to, and after Khalif had that nice series of plays and sat, the rest of the team did not answer the bell. Hats off to the Gophers, they have a very solid core and play with the intensity and urgency I would like to see our Friars adopt."

Murphy's biggest issues last year were consistency and not trying to do too much with the basketball. But man, when he is on, like he has been so far this year, he is a special player. If he can play at or near this level all year all the things we all hope will happen this season are definitely possible for this squad.

The knock on Murphy last year was he was a low energy player & was happy being the 3rd banana. He could be dominant when he wanted, but preferred to let others lead and would just float in and out of the game, without consistent intensity. Then someone lit a fire under his azz and he started coming to play buzzer to buzzer. These are the results 10 months later.

The low energy issue was really a freshman concern w Pitino ridng him by calling him low motor Murphy. The issue last year was him trying to do to much outside his skillset, particularly jump shots and his confidence and energy suffered a bit. Pitino sat him down and told him to focus on his strength (rebounding) to drive his offensve game and it worked. He was a beast for the remaining 3/5ths of the season averagng a double double. This season he has much improved footwork and looks more comfortable w the 10ft shot and driving to go with the beast near the the basket.

The knock on Murphy last year was he was a low energy player & was happy being the 3rd banana. He could be dominant when he wanted, but preferred to let others lead and would just float in and out of the game, without consistent intensity. Then someone lit a fire under his azz and he started coming to play buzzer to buzzer. These are the results 10 months later.

“Float in and out of the game” Sounds like that first year a Rodney Williams-and I really liked Williams, think he could have been a great one.

Coffey has the tendency to float in and out of games. At least he did last year. Hopefully he stops that.

Coffey has the tendency to float in and out of games. At least he did last year. Hopefully he stops that.

I think he will. He's playing with three dominant upperclassmen and it seems like Amir defers to them at times. He'll figure out how to constantly stay engaged and aggressive in the team scheme. It looks like Murphy and Lynch developed a real chemistry. At the beginning of last year they were getting in each other's way and it was frustrating Murphy. Lynch, in particular, is giving Murphy room or shielding him when Murphy attacks the basket. It also helps both that they can go at each other in practice or for fun. Pretty sure Murphy has developed new moves when going inside against Lynch.

Mindset is big but Murph has also increased his skill a ton. It looks like pure strength but he finisjed off balance fall aways, floaters amd spin moves. Hes much better with the dribble now and his concentration around the rim is better

Mindset is big but Murph has also increased his skill a ton. It looks like pure strength but he finisjed off balance fall aways, floaters amd spin moves. Hes much better with the dribble now and his concentration around the rim is better

Those two points, mindset and skill development have a lot to do with coaching. Not all coaches can pull that out of a player, and Pitino is showing that he can do that in his players! Of course, you need a talented player like Murphy to be able to rise to the occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom