Seth Davis: Meanwhile heck of a road win for Minnesota. This team is Final Four good.

Obviously Murphy is the story of the game and will rightfully get all the headlines.

Also important though is how well Michael Hurt played. He's really filled out and looks a lot more comfortable on both ends of the court. If he can become a Joey or Oto type player, this team will be much, much better this season. Offensively he moved the ball really well and the entire offense just seemed to flow better with Hurt on the floor. He played really good defense as well, played rugged & just made all the right plays. He won't be able to play the 4 against everyone, but tonight he was the best option once Lynch went out and Murphy moved to the 5. I doubt anyone would have predicted that 4 hours ago. Fitzgerald will still be a good player I think, but he's still knocking the rust off & hasn't played a real game in years.

Washington is super talented but a work in progress. There are flashes of brilliance, but overall he doesn't seem to have the feel for the college game yet. He doesn't know what he can get away with and what he can't. Doesn't seem to have a great feel for getting everyone involved. He over dribbled several times tonight and turned it over. He jacked up a shot or two with a man in his face and a full shot clock and as Ryan James pointed out in his game blog, he let players streak right past him in transition several times for scores without even making an attempt to stop them. Granted they weren't his guy, but he's got to at least make an attempt to help defense. He'll learn, but right now I like him coming off the bench where scoring is badly needed. I prefer McBrayer, with his length, defense and versatility starting at the 2.

Our top 6 is definitely FF talent. As others have mentioned, it's going to be tough with so little depth and such a drop-off after those guys. We have so much firepower though--I can't put a ceiling on what we can do in the tournament. We have several players who can't be stopped when they're hot, along with tough veterans who defend and rebound. Without injuries to Curry and a few Vikings players, my optimism for MN teams this year would be through the roof.

Our top 6 is definitely FF talent. As others have mentioned, it's going to be tough with so little depth and such a drop-off after those guys. We have so much firepower though--I can't put a ceiling on what we can do in the tournament. We have several players who can't be stopped when they're hot, along with tough veterans who defend and rebound. Without injuries to Curry and a few Vikings players, my optimism for MN teams this year would be through the roof.

Teams have had success with short benches, if we can stay out of foul trouble that is a pretty lethal 6 especially when you figure Washington should only get better as he adjusts. CRG nailed it in his post about Washington, he clearly has to learn and adjust to this level but the talent is easy to see and as he adjusts he should get better and better. Harris didn't play tonight (didn't hear why) but he should be able to bring some shooting off the bench. Fitzgerald is another guy who will hopefully get better as well as he gets used to playing again after the long injury layoff. Add Hurt and BK to the mix and the potential is there for a solid bench even if it lacks some in top end talent. With the starters we have, we hopefully don't need massive contributions just solid minutes.

Well - at least we get Curry back next year hopefully. I think the key is going to be either Stockman, Konate, Fitzgerald, or even Diedhiou stepping up as a solid third man in the front court.

Obviously Murphy is the story of the game and will rightfully get all the headlines.

Also important though is how well Michael Hurt played. He's really filled out and looks a lot more comfortable on both ends of the court. If he can become a Joey or Oto type player, this team will be much, much better this season. Offensively he moved the ball really well and the entire offense just seemed to flow better with Hurt on the floor. He played really good defense as well, played rugged & just made all the right plays. He won't be able to play the 4 against everyone, but tonight he was the best option once Lynch went out and Murphy moved to the 5. I doubt anyone would have predicted that 4 hours ago. Fitzgerald will still be a good player I think, but he's still knocking the rust off & hasn't played a real game in years.

Washington is super talented but a work in progress. There are flashes of brilliance, but overall he doesn't seem to have the feel for the college game yet. He doesn't know what he can get away with and what he can't. Doesn't seem to have a great feel for getting everyone involved. He over dribbled several times tonight and turned it over. He jacked up a shot or two with a man in his face and a full shot clock and as Ryan James pointed out in his game blog, he let players streak right past him in transition several times for scores without even making an attempt to stop them. Granted they weren't his guy, but he's got to at least make an attempt to help defense. He'll learn, but right now I like him coming off the bench where scoring is badly needed. I prefer McBrayer, with his length, defense and versatility starting at the 2.

Hurt's drive and layup up and under along the baseline was nice! A little of that with the three threat and solid fundamentals and that's a solid piece in the rotation.

Well - at least we get Curry back next year hopefully. I think the key is going to be either Stockman, Konate, Fitzgerald, or even Diedhiou stepping up as a solid third man in the front court.

Stockman can't play this year.

Please don’t respond to this idiot. Diedhiou will be lucky to play 10 minutes all year and Stockman is not eligible.

Here’s what this basketball genius wrote in the game thread about 6 minutes into the game:

Not enough bball IQ. Can't shoot. Wisconsin finishes ahead again?

Konate and Diedhiou graduate this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino needs to get Washington to play college basketball D. Each game thus far, he's had multiple lapses that resulted in easy buckets for the opposition. I can live with the bad shots and over dribbling, however, watching Lynch pick up cheapies due to Washington not getting back or taking ill-advised chances will come to haunt us Big 10 time.
With that being said, it's been a while since we had someone with the ability to take over and get buckets when the offense gets bogged down. We may to have to go back to ol' Larry Westbrook as the last guy to do that here

With that being said, it's been a while since we had someone with the ability to take over and get buckets when the offense gets bogged down. We may to have to go back to ol' Larry Westbrook as the last guy to do that here

I honestly don't remember the last time we had two legit PG's. That was probably my chief complaint with the Tubby era - lack of ball handlers. I still have nightmares about Maverick dribbling into a trap and just tripping over himself.

Agree with you about Hurt! He never played that bold even in high school. He was impressive. If he can keep that confidence...he's got the skills. He absolutely seemed twice as quick as I've ever seen him, as well.
IW is two games in...after Christmas I think he'll be wow like...hopefully. Right now, it's yay, noo, yay.

I think he already is an Oto type player. Oto was one of the worst Gophers of the past 30 years. If he ends up being Joey King that would be a really good role player.

Fran Fraschilla

It reminds me of the collective cringing after the Gophs destroyed St. John's in a non-conference game early in the 96-97 campaign. That's the way they put it in the paper: nobody wanted to say the F-words, but they had to admit that the Gophers were a Final Four sleeper.

Comparing this team to that one, this team is no Jack Kennedy...or so it seems. But man, do we have a power forward.

Fran Fraschilla was the guy who uttered it first. Never forgot it. I've trusted him as an analyst ever since.

Fran Fraschilla was the guy who uttered it first. Never forgot it. I've trusted him as an analyst ever since.

Believe it was Lloyd Bensten, SS. And I didn't think he was that good an analyst. Sorry. :)

Agree with you about Hurt! He never played that bold even in high school. He was impressive. If he can keep that confidence...he's got the skills. He absolutely seemed twice as quick as I've ever seen him, as well.
IW is two games in...after Christmas I think he'll be wow like...hopefully. Right now, it's yay, noo, yay.

Hurt taking a big step up this year would be huge for the bench and also probably wouldn't be a bad thing in our quest to land his younger brother.

Have to be patient with Washington. He is coming from high school where he dominated and could do whatever he wanted at any time pretty much. He has to learn how to play in the system but man is he explosive. I love seeing him and Mason on the floor together and as the season goes on I think he will figure out how he fits into the rotation and start playing with a bit more control.

This team is so much fun to watch. They will have those frustrating times where they fall apart a little but man when they get on a run they can blow a game out in no time. Providence was right there and even leading during the whole first half then all of the sudden it was a 12 point game and you could just tell it was over.

Hurt taking a big step up this year would be huge for the bench and also probably wouldn't be a bad thing in our quest to land his younger brother.

Never read anything more spot on in this forum!

I'm hoping Hurt keeps this up and earns his minutes. This team's goals won't allow playing guys just to play and I'd like to see him do well and get some PT.

I thought Hurt was ok too although there was a rebound or two he probably should have had and got outmuscled for. Overall he played like he belonged. gotta laugh at him being compared to every white player we've ever had though.

I think he already is an Oto type player. Oto was one of the worst Gophers of the past 30 years. If he ends up being Joey King that would be a really good role player.

Haha, I thought the same thing. Maybe it was a mistake but the last thing we need is another Oto type of player.

I thought Hurt was ok too although there was a rebound or too he probably should have had and got outmuscled for. Overall he played like he belonged. gotta laugh at him being compared to every white player we've ever had though.

He is for sure the combination of Eliason and Hoffarber!

As others have said, IW will only get better. He seems a little out of control at times but we saw the ability to score and create scoring chances last night. He’ll have some bad games and some great games. Need the normal for him to be consistently good

I thought Hurt was ok too although there was a rebound or two he probably should have had and got outmuscled for. Overall he played like he belonged. gotta laugh at him being compared to every white player we've ever had though.
He's from the Wally Szczerbiak, Larry Bird, Ed McCaffrey, Wayne Gretzky mold.

Oh yea, real gym rat. Coaches kid, student of the game type.

Little bit limited athletically but simply a grinder, heady guy who will always make the right play. Type of kid you'd want your daughter to date.

Very high motor. Scrappy, high bball IQ, great fundamentals. Lunch pail type of guy.

Little bit limited athletically but simply a grinder, heady guy who will always make the right play. Type of kid you'd want your daughter to date.

Very high motor. Scrappy, high bball IQ, great fundamentals. Lunch pail type of guy.

LOL +1

As others have said, IW will only get better. He seems a little out of control at times but we saw the ability to score and create scoring chances last night. He’ll have some bad games and some great games. Need the normal for him to be consistently good

He'll get better because he loves the game and wants to get better. He'll have a cot in the back room.

Agree to disagree. Oto would be playing ahead of Hurt & Fitzgerald on this team, imo.

While all those comparisons are true, I'm really excited about his kid brother Matthew, who btw is a Keith Van Horn type of player.

While all those comparisons are true, I'm really excited about his kid brother Matthew, who btw is a Keith Van Horn type of player.

I thought Hurt was kind of a Robbie Metcalf style player coming off the bench.
A real sparkplug.

Curry injury sucks. It will hang over this squad and message board all year.

IW was exactly what we needed this year.

Murphy looks so much better than early last year. What if...now hear me out...he improves as much towards the end of this year as he did from the beginning to the end of last year? He’d average 50pts and 40 rebounds.

I am officially sick of all the Curry talk. He is gone, let's move on.
Question: who has improved more from last year....Murph or Hurt?

Thank you for this. Way too funny and spot on for announcers talking about white players.

Top Bottom