Minnesota RPI Watch: 25 as of 11/27

If we want to be a top 4 seed in the tournament, I think at worst our record needs to be 25-6 entering the B1G tournament. Our OOC SoS is going to be what drags us down. If we enter with that type of record I think getting to the B1G tournament final would secure a top 4 seed in the tournament, which is huge, there's typically a big difference between playing a 12 seed and a 13 seed.

If we want to be a top 4 seed in the tournament, I think at worst our record needs to be 25-6 entering the B1G tournament. Our OOC SoS is going to be what drags us down. If we enter with that type of record I think getting to the B1G tournament final would secure a top 4 seed in the tournament, which is huge, there's typically a big difference between playing a 12 seed and a 13 seed.

Our OOC SOS is going to be pretty good....

Providence
Alabama
Miami
Arkansas

All four have the chance to be ranked at some point this season. All four will likely have receiving votes at the end of the year... 3/4 games are away/neutral sites

Providence
Alabama
Miami
Arkansas

All four have the chance to be ranked at some point this season. All four will likely have receiving votes at the end of the year... 3/4 games are away/neutral sites

Yep, OOC SOS will be good. Conference SOS won't be as good as it could have been with all the Big Ten losses.

Providence
Alabama
Miami
Arkansas

Yes those are obviously 4 good games. But we also play(ed) USC Upstate, Niagara, Western Carolina, Alabama A&M, Drake, Oral Roberts and Florida Atlantic. Our projected OOC SOS projects to be in the 230's. That's pretty bad. Last year our OOC SOS was #28 by comparison.

Yep, OOC SOS will be good. Conference SOS won't be as good as it could have been with all the Big Ten losses.

It projects out to be in the 230's. If we go 4-0 in the above mentioned games, it might not matter in terms of seed, because that should be at least 4 top 50 wins.

It projects out to be in the 230's. If we go 4-0 in the above mentioned games, it might not matter in terms of seed, because that should be at least 4 top 50 wins.

That scenario didn't help Wisconsin in their seeding last year.

After the loss last night, I do think it's time to start worrying about selection/seeding for the tournament. If we can't win @ Nebraska, what are the chances we win at Wisconsin, Purdue, Maryland, Michigan etc? The game against Arkansas is simply huge. That is another opportunity to get a top 50 win(or quadrant 1 win based on the new language of the Selection Committee). There just won't be many opportunities in conference to get those types of wins because the league has been so bad OOC. If we lose to Arkansas, we'll have to go 12-6 in league play to feel comfortable heading into the B1G tournament IMO.

We project to barely have a top 100 SOS this year, because our OOC schedule is going to be really bad, and we won't get much help from the rest of the B1G this season.

Assuming we finish 23-8(12-6) we'll have an upper 30's RPI.
Assuming we finish 22-9(11-7) we'll have an upper 40's RPI.

This is why the Arkansas game is huge, and to be honest, I don't feel great given what happened last night. We honestly probably need to take both games at Northwestern and at Penn State to keep our heads above water. Even a split there, would be extremely troubling. And we don't have the greatest history of playing well at Penn State or Northwestern(despite last season's win)

After the loss last night, I do think it's time to start worrying about selection/seeding for the tournament. If we can't win @ Nebraska, what are the chances we win at Wisconsin, Purdue, Maryland, Michigan etc? The game against Arkansas is simply huge. That is another opportunity to get a top 50 win(or quadrant 1 win based on the new language of the Selection Committee). There just won't be many opportunities in conference to get those types of wins because the league has been so bad OOC. If we lose to Arkansas, we'll have to go 12-6 in league play to feel comfortable heading into the B1G tournament IMO.

We project to barely have a top 100 SOS this year, because our OOC schedule is going to be really bad, and we won't get much help from the rest of the B1G this season.

Assuming we finish 23-8(12-6) we'll have an upper 30's RPI.
Assuming we finish 22-9(11-7) we'll have an upper 40's RPI.

This is why the Arkansas game is huge, and to be honest, I don't feel great given what happened last night. We honestly probably need to take both games at Northwestern and at Penn State to keep our heads above water. Even a split there, would be extremely troubling. And we don't have the greatest history of playing well at Penn State or Northwestern(despite last season's win)

Good stuff, thanks.

Arkansas game definitely important. When you only play 4 non-conference games (out of 13) that can help your resume, you need to win at least 2 (Gophers have done that), a third would be great. Picking up a bad loss last night makes it more critical the Gophers get a second quality true road win in Fayetteville. It's Gophers' last opportunity to make a mark in the non-conference.

Good stuff, thanks.

Arkansas game definitely important. When you only play 4 non-conference games (out of 13) that can help your resume, you need to win at least 2 (Gophers have done that), a third would be great. Picking up a bad loss last night makes it more critical the Gophers get a second quality true road win in Fayetteville. It's Gophers' last opportunity to make a mark in the non-conference.

How good is Arkansas or Alabama? They have had a pretty bad loss. UCF beat Bama and i watched Houston destroy Arkansas

Good stuff, thanks.

Honestly, at this point, I think the B1G will only get 4 teams in the tournament. The B1G is projected to have the 24th ranked OOC SOS. And given all the losses the conference has taken on, it would be hard to justify the league getting more than that. Outside of Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland and maybe Wisconsin(and us if we beat Arkansas), every other B1G team will at least need to go 12-6 to feel comfortable, at least out of the contenders. And last year there were only 3 such teams that achieved that record in conference play. Plus Michigan State and Purdue seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

At this point based on predictive measures, the league projects to only have 3 teams finish the season with a top 50 RPI, and Maryland comes in at 44. The B1G as a conference really needs to pick up something in terms of quality wins the rest of the OOC. Just not sure that's going to happen.

How good is Arkansas or Alabama? They have had a pretty bad loss. UCF beat Bama and i watched Houston destroy Arkansas

Neither team is great IMO. But if Bama finishes with a top 50 RPI(which I think is achievable) and Arkansas finishes with a top 75 RPI(which I think is achievable), both will register as quadrant 1 wins on the resume, which would give the Gophers a projected 3 quadrant 1 wins including Providence. Which we're going to need because if we don't beat either Michigan State or Purdue that might be the only quadrant 1 wins we get this season.

Agree, especially now that we can include Rhode Island beating Providence. Still i believe that the Gophers will compete for 1st in the conference and i picked the Gophers to win it. Fix the defense.

At 11-7 and a loss to Arkansas we project to be in the upper 40’s/low 50’s. At 12-6, low 40’s.

Gophers are in with 22-23 wins.

Top Bottom