Minnesota RPI Watch: 25 as of 11/27

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
South Carolina Upstate is our big win so far. They have an RPI of 12.

(Probably too early for the RPI formula to matter.

Here are your top 6. (five way tie for first)

1. Harvard
1. Indiana St
1. Louisville
1. South Dakota St
1.UC Riverside
6 North Dakota

Behind North Dakota and SDSU? Unacceptable. Fire Pitino!

North Dakota is ahead of us despite being 1-1. They had a quality loss vs Hawaii. (so that makes sense, right).

Somehow we dropped to #12 now.

Fire everyone!

I'll be curious to see what our SOS is at at the end of the non conference schedule. We have some duds on the schedule but we've got some big time opponents.

I'll be curious to see what our SOS is at at the end of the non conference schedule. We have some duds on the schedule but we've got some big time opponents.

Last few years we've been low teens and high 20s with Big Ten schedule included.

This year we will be lower non-conference unless many of our opponents surprise.
It's not the top 50 games, it's avoiding games against teams who rank 200-350.

If you can build your whole non-conference schedule against #100-200, that would be ideal. Mix in a couple top 50's and with the Big Ten schedule, you're all set.
That's what happened the last few years.

This year we have potential for too many 200's-300's and those will kill you even if you win.

South Carolina Upstate is our big win so far. They have an RPI of 12.

(Probably too early for the RPI formula to matter.

Here are your top 6. (five way tie for first)

1. Harvard
1. Indiana St
1. Louisville
1. South Dakota St
1.UC Riverside
6 North Dakota

Beating Harvard will be huge for our RPI!

Our schedule is projected to be in the 160's after the OOC portion of the schedule. Obviously that's very fluid and based on predictive outcomes, so that could certainly change. Also, since we play so many bottom feeders the likelihood of those teams become worse in the RPI stands at pretty good odds. If I had to guess, I would say our OOC SOS come March will be in the low 200's.

Gophers non-conference opponents so far, per KenPom

The Beef
#17 Miami (2-0) -- won first 2 games by a combined 66 points
#24 Alabama (1-0) -- shorthanded beat Memphis by 12 on a neutral court
#31 Providence (1-1) -- plays Washington on Thursday, perhaps Virginia Tech on Friday
#37 Arkansas (2-0) -- won first 2 games by a combined 67 points, including a 28-point waxing of prohibitive Patriot League favorite Bucknell

Don't Fall Asleep, Likely Will Have Resume Value
#112 Harvard (2-0) -- beat UMass by 3, other win was by 9 over a non-Division I opponent

Will Beat, But Should Have A Pulse
#178 UMass (1-1) -- lost @ Harvard by 3
#179 Niagara (1-0) -- beat Saint Bonaventure, projected by most as a potential NCAA Tournament team

Wildcards -- Will/Did Beat, Pulse To Be Determined
#220 Drake (1-0) -- beat a non-Division I opponent
#269 SC Upstate (1-1) -- beat a non-Division I opponent

Garbage In, Garbage Out
#250 Oral Roberts (1-1) -- beat a non-Division I opponent
#273 Western Carolina (0-2) -- lost first 2 games by a combined 79 points, including by 51 to Cincinnati
#275 FAU (0-1) -- lost by 1 to South Florida, one of the worst teams in the AAC
#350 Alabama A&M (0-2) -- surprisingly has only lost first 2 games by a combined 27 points

Bad news.
We have now dropped to #18 in RPI.

At large bid is questionable!
Better win the Big Ten tourney.

Our best win now is against #25 SC UPSTATE who moved from #193 to #25 this week.

Alabama is actually receiving more votes than Providence or any other teams also receiving votes. Would be #26. Collin Sexton who was the #1 PG recruit in the country and a top 5 recruit overall made his debut for them tonight and had 22 and 5. Glad that game is on a neutral court. Too bad I'll be at the Axe game during that time. I'm almost tempted to skip it.

The Beef
#17 Miami (2-0) -- won first 2 games by a combined 66 points
#24 Alabama (1-0) -- shorthanded beat Memphis by 12 on a neutral court
#31 Providence (1-1) -- plays Washington on Saturday, perhaps Virginia Tech on Sunday
#37 Arkansas (2-0) -- won first 2 games by a combined 67 points, including a 28-point waxing of prohibitive Patriot League favorite Bucknell

Don't Fall Asleep, Likely Will Have Resume Value
#112 Harvard (2-0) -- beat UMass by 3, other win was by 9 over a non-Division I opponent

Will Beat, But Should Have A Pulse
#178 UMass (1-1) -- lost @ Harvard by 3
#179 Niagara (1-0) -- beat Saint Bonaventure, projected by most as a potential NCAA Tournament team

Wildcards -- Will/Did Beat, Pulse To Be Determined
#220 Drake (1-0) -- beat a non-Division I opponent
#269 SC Upstate (1-1) -- beat a non-Division I opponent

Garbage In, Garbage Out
#250 Oral Roberts (1-1) -- beat a non-Division I opponent
#273 Western Carolina (0-2) -- lost first 2 games by a combined 79 points, including by 51 to Cincinnati
#275 FAU (0-1) -- lost by 1 to South Florida, one of the worst teams in the AAC
#350 Alabama A&M (0-2) -- surprisingly has only lost first 2 games by a combined 27 points

RPI is flawed, because any opponent below 200 shouldn’t even count in the calculation, or they all should be worth a flat value of 200 — for practical purposes all the teams below 175 or so should be a win for any team having NCAA aspirations. It’s pretty stupid and flawed that you can manipulate your rpi like tubby used to do by beating a bunch of teams in the 150-200 range and not scheduling anyone below that.

In other words, realistically, the gophers beating a team ranked 175 isn’t any more or less impressive than beating a team ranked 300, but it makes a difference to rpi, and that’s messed up.

RPI is flawed, because any opponent below 200 shouldn’t even count in the calculation, or they all should be worth a flat value of 200 — for practical purposes all the teams below 175 or so should be a win for any team having NCAA aspirations. It’s pretty stupid and flawed that you can manipulate your rpi like tubby used to do by beating a bunch of teams in the 150-200 range and not scheduling anyone below that.

In other words, realistically, the gophers beating a team ranked 175 isn’t any more or less impressive than beating a team ranked 300, but it makes a difference to rpi, and that’s messed up.

Exactly

. ... It’s pretty stupid and flawed that you can manipulate your rpi like tubby used to do by beating a bunch of teams in the 150-200 range and not scheduling anyone below that.

To be completely fair, that's pretty much what Pitino did last year. And they have plenty of company every year!

To be completely fair, that's pretty much what Pitino did last year. And they have plenty of company every year!

Isn't RPI no longer the preferred metric when comparing tournament resumes? I remember last year the committee was reevaluating how they are looking at teams and were having in-depth discussions with Pomeroy and Sagarin. If so, overall SOS is likely less important. Perhaps Richard has some more detail on this than the common folk? RPI to me is kind of like a credit score. The best credit scores don't indicate the people who have the strongest finances, rather the people who appease the algorithm by paying off lot's of debt for a long time. Once you understand the inner-working of this algorithm it can be manipulated. Hopefully as some of you are discussing, they stop factoring in wins against inferior teams all-together and solely focus on relevant wins. Of course if you were to lose to an inferior opponent you should be docked accordingly.

An example could be if you lose to two 199+ RPI opponents you are automatically ineligible for the dance (for Power 5 schools). Coaches would probably schedule cautiously as there is likely a 199+ opponent in conference and another potential one in a preseason tourney. It might be motivation to avoid this type of foe altogether.

Get back in the boat everyone!!!

Our RPI is now #9!

Back in an acceptable range!

Isn't RPI no longer the preferred metric when comparing tournament resumes? I remember last year the committee was reevaluating how they are looking at teams and were having in-depth discussions with Pomeroy and Sagarin. If so, overall SOS is likely less important. Perhaps Richard has some more detail on this than the common folk? RPI to me is kind of like a credit score. The best credit scores don't indicate the people who have the strongest finances, rather the people who appease the algorithm by paying off lot's of debt for a long time. Once you understand the inner-working of this algorithm it can be manipulated. Hopefully as some of you are discussing, they stop factoring in wins against inferior teams all-together and solely focus on relevant wins. Of course if you were to lose to an inferior opponent you should be docked accordingly.

An example could be if you lose to two 199+ RPI opponents you are automatically ineligible for the dance (for Power 5 schools). Coaches would probably schedule cautiously as there is likely a 199+ opponent in conference and another potential one in a preseason tourney. It might be motivation to avoid this type of foe altogether.

My thought is to go ahead and use the RPI for an arbitrary ranking, but when you really want to compare two teams, look at their best 10 or 15 wins and their worst 5 losses.

If their fifth worst loss is to a team below 150, that's not very good.

If their fifth worse loss is to someone #75, then that's a lot better.

And what's their 15th best win? If their fifteen best win is #245, it tells you something. If their 15th best win is #122, that's a of top end wins.

Is it just me or does ESPN's RPI page not work. Every time I try to access it, no rankings appear. I've tried to find alternative sites, but they all offer different RPI rankings. Anyone know whats up there?

WarrenNolan.com is your friend when it comes to basketball.

Drastic measures need to be taken.

We now have an RPI of 51 which puts us on the outside side of the bubble!!

Does anyone else just get this page when they try and look at ESPN's RPI?
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 4.42.06 PM.jpg

Minnesota's RPI is 7

I don’t think it is too early to panic. Usually ESPN is full bore hysterical after three weeks of college football with a bunch of 3-0 teams. They usually declare there will be 15 undefeated teams and the BCS model will collapse because of it. It’s never too early in a season to draw conclusions. We should ask UCLA to play a good faith game in China. They go and actually pay for stuff to make amends, we increase our RPI. A true Win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPI won’t matter for the Gophers. Really good teams don’t worry about that.

Top Bottom