***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PROVIDENCE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

A lot of the posts in this thread from the first half were so Chicken Little in nature it’s comical. Why is it so many Minnesota fans would rather be pessimistic and hope to be right than optimistic and risk being wrong.

It's our nature. Blame Bud Grant. And Denny Green. And Gary Andersen. And Brett Favre.

I've gotta give major props to Nate Mason for being a calming presence throughout the second half. Made FT's and smart plays when the game was in doubt, allowed for other players to step up later. Great team performance, and Murphy making strong early case for all Big Ten team

Let's get past UMASS and Bama first. Both will be solid tests and can't look past either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bama yes. Harvard and some of our other "cupcakes" are probably better than UMass.

Why no Harris? I missed half the game but surprised to not see him in the rotation.

Why no Harris? I missed half the game but surprised to not see him in the rotation.

It was game 2 in a HOSTILE environment. He’s not ready for that.

Fitz wasn’t either.

Anyone that’s “really concerned” about anyone doesn’t understand what it take to play competitive b-ball.

Fitz wasn’t either.

Anyone that’s “really concerned” about anyone doesn’t understand what it take to play competitive b-ball.

Fitzgerald is in his 4th year of college basketball. You really think he's 'not ready' for a hostile environment?!?

Fitz hasn't played any competitive ball in two years. He will have games like tonight for awhile, hopefully by the time the BIG games roll around he is more comfortable. Hurt looks so much more confident on the floor than at any point in time last year.

+1 on both. There's no way Hurt of last year even thinks about going to the hole the way he did tonight. He outplayed Fitz so far, which is both good and concerning because he's can't take minutes from Konate the way Fitz can.

Fitzgerald is in his 4th year of college basketball. You really think he's 'not ready' for a hostile environment?!?
We put Fitzgerald in a tough spot. Ideally, he comes in with Lynch on the floor. But the entire game he was playing with Murphy and it is a lot to ask of him to play the 4 and the 5 when he came in as a SF...

Shouldn't be too worried about Fitzgerald..

Oh, and 4th year of basketball? really? dude was out medically for two full seasons

Anyone at the game see the fight towards the end? I guess it was between a MN and Providence fan. It's not very smart to have the student section exit right through the visiting section.

Need to develop depth, but it's been quite a while since we've had a team as gritty as this one looks to be.

Yes, this team is seasoned and tough. The depth issue does bother me a bit though. Providence's bench outscored ours 27-10.

Anyone at the game see the fight towards the end? I guess it was between a MN and Providence fan. It's not very smart to have the student section exit right through the visiting section.

I heard about it but didn't see it... could you see it on TV? what worries me is that it happened right behind our bench... that's unacceptable.

Surprised Providence fans staged a mass walkout at the end..

I heard about it but didn't see it... could you see it on TV? what worries me is that it happened right behind our bench... that's unacceptable.

Surprised Providence fans staged a mass walkout at the end..
right behind the bench means what? Staff or family was involved?

Fitz wasn’t either.

How do we know Harris isn’t ready?

Yes, this team is seasoned and tough. The depth issue does bother me a bit though. Providence's bench outscored ours 27-10.
If Hurt gives the grunt minutes like he did tonight, we'll be fine. Fitz is still trying to work himself back. He'll be better. But the effort Hurt gave when Konate was hacking and Fitz was playing timid was great to see. We need those grinders to give us those minutes.

IW played way better. His scoring was huge in the first half.

We will miss Curry this year, especially with BK and Reggie seeming very willing to get in foul trouble.

Murphy was dominant. Mason was great. Coffey hit some huge shots to push the lead to a lot. Love this team.

I wish Oturu was here now to help with depth

right behind the bench means what? Staff or family was involved?

not staff but there were Gophers fans dressed in maroon and gold behind the bench. obviously can't speculate if they were family or not

If Hurt gives the grunt minutes like he did tonight, we'll be fine. Fitz is still trying to work himself back. He'll be better. But the effort Hurt gave when Konate was hacking and Fitz was playing timid was great to see. We need those grinders to give us those minutes.
Let’s hope his brother liked what he saw as well.

IW played way better. His scoring was huge in the first half.

We will miss Curry this year, especially with BK and Reggie seeming very willing to get in foul trouble.

Murphy was dominant. Mason was great. Coffey hit some huge shots to push the lead to a lot. Love this team.

I wish Oturu was here now to help with depth
I thought we benefitted greatly from Dupree's play tonight. His steal came at a critical point, anbd he steadied the team at a crutial point. Maybe lacking the glam of Washington (who I think is great) but we'll need his experience this year and next.

Draymond Greene wasn't any taller and he didn't develop shooting range until later in his college career.

Which is why Murph will stay four years. He can make it, but he will need every bit of his eligibility to develop an outside game

I thought we benefitted greatly from Dupree's play tonight. His steal came at a critical point, anbd he steadied the team at a crutial point. Maybe lacking the glam of Washington (who I think is great) but we'll need his experience this year and next.

Until Isaiah can dependably stay in front of his man on defense, Dupree will be playing down the stretch. Made some free throws late but missed some earlier.

Which is why Murph will stay four years. He can make it, but he will need every bit of his eligibility to develop an outside game
Yes. And he needs to be allowed to do so. And he will be. And I think it will come in time. If he can hit a few during cupcake games, it would build his confidence.

Missed the second half due to a work meeting but pleasantly surprised when I got home. Impressed with what I saw from Jelly. Love his fearlessness and toughness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. And he needs to be allowed to do so. And he will be. And I think it will come in time. If he can hit a few during cupcake games, it would build his confidence.

It’s not like he has **** form or anything. I hate it when he shoots it, but we all know why he dies.

Top Bottom