Jon Rothstein: Minnesota-Providence feels like a Round of 32 game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rothstein:

Minnesota-Providence feels like a Round of 32 game

Richard Pitino’s voyage to his alma mater on Monday night as part of the Gavitt Games represents a terrific early-season tilt between two teams that should go back to the NCAA Tournament in 2018.

Minnesota returns five starters — Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Dupree McBrayer, Jordan Murphy, and Reggie Lynch — from last year’s squad that earned a five seed in the field of 68, while Providence may have the deepest team during Ed Cooley’s tenure in his home city.

The biggest key to this game?

How the Friars deal with the Gophers’ lethal power forward-center combo of Murphy and Lynch, who combined for 50 points and 25 rebounds in Minnesota’s opening night win over USC Upstate.

Cooley will need legitimate mileage up front out of two young big men — Kalif Young and Nate Watson — if Providence is to emerge victorious.

This feels like the type of game teams play in March when they’re attempting to advance to the Sweet 16.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-files-sec-has-come-out-of-gates-swinging/

Go Gophers!!

per Rothstein:

Minnesota-Providence feels like a Round of 32 game

Richard Pitino’s voyage to his alma mater on Monday night as part of the Gavitt Games represents a terrific early-season tilt between two teams that should go back to the NCAA Tournament in 2018.

Minnesota returns five starters — Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Dupree McBrayer, Jordan Murphy, and Reggie Lynch — from last year’s squad that earned a five seed in the field of 68, while Providence may have the deepest team during Ed Cooley’s tenure in his home city.

The biggest key to this game?

How the Friars deal with the Gophers’ lethal power forward-center combo of Murphy and Lynch, who combined for 50 points and 25 rebounds in Minnesota’s opening night win over USC Upstate.

Cooley will need legitimate mileage up front out of two young big men — Kalif Young and Nate Watson — if Providence is to emerge victorious.

This feels like the type of game teams play in March when they’re attempting to advance to the Sweet 16.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-files-sec-has-come-out-of-gates-swinging/

Go Gophers!!

He must mean Gophers would be a #1 seed and Providence an 8 or 9

Need to stop giving up 3"s and start making some open 3 shots!

Jon Rothstein seems to really like the Gophers. He tweets about them a lot.

I sometimes wonder if this is not a good thing for the opponent. Is it better to know what/who you are preparing for than facing a player that there may not be any information on? That having been said, I hope the young man feels better, but I won't be using up my compassion bank on the opponent being short one player tonight.

Holt is out for the season, Providence just hasn't announced it yet.

Lynch really tamed his foul trouble against UpState and that is critical for success. Let’s hope he doesn’t get jobbed by the refs out east. :mad:

Top Bottom