Gophers open up +7 vs NW

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
That sounds about right, I was thinking +6, 6.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh. Since NW was 7 points better than Nebraska, and the Gophers were 33 points better than Nebraska, I figured the line would be Gophers by 26. Isn't that how these things work?

I see NW had another ejection last game for targeting, I hope a twin cities media member asks Patty if he's coaching it.

Tough game. Weird place to play. Got embarrassed there a couple years ago.

I like the Gophers momentum from the Nebraska game

He cares how the team plays.
If the team plays well, the wins will come.

I’m not arguing with you. Momentum in sports exists regardless of what PJ Fleck says. Also, wins and losses matter. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t keep score.

I’ve never Underwood why they bother to keep score. I watch for the beauty of the game.

It is a Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde situation: Which Gopher team will show up - the team that played against Michigan or the one that played against Nebraska?

Of course, Northwestern is better than Nebraska this season in terms of injuries and coaching.

I’m not arguing with you. Momentum in sports exists regardless of what PJ Fleck says. Also, wins and losses matter. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t keep score.

It is amazing how many can't wrap their head around the concept of what Fleck means with the results don't matter line. He wants to win, and the staff is doing their best to win each and every game, but there is more to it then just wins and loses, especially in their first year. He is not going to measure the success or failure of this season based on the win/loss record because he is looking at the big picture of where he wants to take the program. But saying that, doesn't mean they are not trying to win each week, not sure why some fans can't grasp that.

As for this game against Northwestern, they are certainly beatable but unfortunately their defense has been very strong against the run and very weak against the pass so we will have to figure out how to move the ball through the air to soften up the run defense. Croft needs to have another strong game decision making wise and would be great if the receivers and TE would hang onto the friggin ball for a change. Dropped balls have been killing us all season.

It is amazing how many can't wrap their head around the concept of what Fleck means with the results don't matter line. He wants to win, and the staff is doing their best to win each and every game, but there is more to it then just wins and loses, especially in their first year. He is not going to measure the success or failure of this season based on the win/loss record because he is looking at the big picture of where he wants to take the program. But saying that, doesn't mean they are not trying to win each week, not sure why some fans can't grasp that.

As for this game against Northwestern, they are certainly beatable but unfortunately their defense has been very strong against the run and very weak against the pass so we will have to figure out how to move the ball through the air to soften up the run defense. Croft needs to have another strong game decision making wise and would be great if the receivers and TE would hang onto the friggin ball for a change. Dropped balls have been killing us all season.

I think you mean year zero

At least Demry has experience playing @ Northwestern.

I believe in momentum for certain sports and certain situations. I think it's a reasonable concept when your team is playing in a tournament, and you had a nice win earlier in the day and carry that swag into a later game, for example.

There is no such thing for football. You go an entire week between playing. And the setting will be completely different, going from at home in TCF, to a hotel in Evanston. I think they have natural grass too. Everything will be different. Wish that weren't the case, but I'm afraid it is.

As a somewhat seasoned gambler on college football, I do have the following rule: NEVER bet on a game involving Northwestern.

They're the team when they're big underdogs, they're sometimes the plucky team that hangs around with alligator blood....or they're sometimes the team that gets curb stomped like against Michigan in 2015.
They're the team when they're favorites & expected to win, they find a way to not handle it (vs. Minnesota in 2013 & vs. Purdue in 2010 comes to mind, not that I have a memory of a gambling loss or anything)

Plus, Dennis Lundy always keeps a fresh place in my mind. Perhaps unfair to the past 20 years of Northwestern football players, but people #NeverForget

As a somewhat seasoned gambler on college football, I do have the following rule: NEVER bet on a game involving Northwestern.

They're the team when they're big underdogs, they're sometimes the plucky team that hangs around with alligator blood....or they're sometimes the team that gets curb stomped like against Michigan in 2015.
They're the team when they're favorites & expected to win, they find a way to not handle it (vs. Minnesota in 2013 & vs. Purdue in 2010 comes to mind, not that I have a memory of a gambling loss or anything)

Plus, Dennis Lundy always keeps a fresh place in my mind. Perhaps unfair to the past 20 years of Northwestern football players, but people #NeverForget

The real variable that ruins betting on Northwester is that ultra long grass / forest they have for a field that is there sometimes.... and other times it borders on being a dirt lot... you just never know.

NW has the offense to roll over us with good balanced passing and running attack lead by veterans Thorson and Jackson. Would be sweet to get that 6th W.

NW has the offense to roll over us with good balanced passing and running attack lead by veterans Thorson and Jackson. Would be sweet to get that 6th W.

NW scoring offense has slight edge on Gophs. Gophs scoring defense has slight edge on NW. These teams are a lot closer than you think.

Northwestern was just put at #23 in the CFP Ranking. Michigan behind them at #24.

Hopefully we can have a better performance on the road vs NW as opposed to the Michigan Game if they are similarly ranked opponents.

Remaining B1G teams:
Michigan St #17
Penn St #10
Ohio St #9
Wisconsin #5

Northwestern was just put at #23 in the CFP Ranking. Michigan behind them at #24.

Hopefully we can have a better performance on the road vs NW as opposed to the Michigan Game if they are similarly ranked opponents.

Remaining B1G teams:
Michigan St #17
Penn St #10
Ohio St #9
Wisconsin #5

There will be 75,000 less fans in the stands than there were at Michigan.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a somewhat seasoned gambler on college football, . . .

I have been betting B1G football for over 25 years, although taking several years off when life got in the way. I noticed tOSU opened as 38.5 point favorites over Illinois, and the line quickly moved to 40.5 and 41. I can't remember ever seeing a final line in the 40's for a Big Ten conference game. Have any of you??

I believe in momentum for certain sports and certain situations. I think it's a reasonable concept when your team is playing in a tournament, and you had a nice win earlier in the day and carry that swag into a later game, for example.

There is no such thing for football. You go an entire week between playing. And the setting will be completely different, going from at home in TCF, to a hotel in Evanston. I think they have natural grass too. Everything will be different. Wish that weren't the case, but I'm afraid it is.

Agree. I think that its difficult to keep momentum from the end of the 2nd quarter to the beginning of the 3rd (over half time), let alone over a week. However, if a team is really jelling, that may be sustained over a longer period of time, usually late in the season.

Top Bottom