Northwestern Trip

Gophers09

Reaction score
Any tips pre/post game from those who have been before? Friday night before? Is there a designated spot for Gopher fan hang out? Thanks!

The stadium is in a residential area but there will be Gopher fans mingling around. The Minnesota Chicago chapter has something going on around the stadium. The Other Side Bar is the Gopher bar in Chicago. It is on the north side between downtown and Evanston. I stay downtown and take the Purple Line to the game. Always look forward to this trip.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay downtown and take the train to/from the game. If you want to watch B1G football after our game is finished, I would highly recommend taking the train back to Wrigleyville (get off on the Addison stop, right by Wrigley Field). There are a bunch of B1G bars on Clark Street. You can go from bar to bar, depending on who you are cheering for/against and what game(s) you want to watch (they are all near each other). The 2:30/3:00 games are Illinois/Ohio State, Purdue/Ioaw, Maryland/MSU, and Penn State/Nebraska. My favorite is the OSU bar - Old Crow Smokehouse. The Ioaw bar is Merkle's. Nebraska bar is Kirkwood. Purdue is Dueses and the Diamond Club. It's a LOT of fun - my favorite part of the weekend.

I would NOT stay in Evanston after the game. It's pretty lame.

Our group of 4 is heading down for the first time and will be staying downtown. Looking forward to seeing other Gopher fans and having a blast!

We rented a place in Lincoln Park and we are excited for a weekend in Chicago and we are excited to see the Gophers build off of yesterday’s game.

Depending on where you stay you might stay in the same hotel as the Northwestern team! Accidentally did that with PMWinSTP and swelna when we went down there last time we played in Evanston, it was kinda funny.

Going to a game there is so easy for me and I have never been to this particular stadium, considering I have been to many that are harder to get to Ryan Field. I think the rotten atmosphere at the stadium, noted during most NU TV games, and the fear of sitting there in the 4th quarter during a loss in this pathetic environment has kept me away. I soaked in the atmosphere post game at the LA Coliseum in 2011, not sure the same feeling would be had at Ryan Field. .. I usually will travel to Chicago for any reason, since I like Chicago a lot.

I do know that if I bypass the airport, TSA, ground transport driving down there makes sense for me, probably a 3 vs. 5 hour commitment each difference. . I can throw my bike in the back of my vehicle, leave St Paul at 4AM, be in Skokie at 9AM, park in a non-regulated residential area just east of I-94 I know well, and ride the bike 10 minutes to Ryan field, lock it and buy a $10 ticket, walk in well before kickoff. This seems like a great idea at the moment.

Win or lose I can at least check one more Big Ten Venue off the list and then head down to Clark St. for some fun post game.

Sounds like a great trip! Hope you guys make it to Wrigleyville, just as another poster suggested. Love Chicago, enjoy

This will be my 4th trip to Evanston (07, 09, 11).

As others have said, hop on the L and get down to Wrigleyville on Saturday night.

Evanston isn't the liveliest of college towns but there are still a few decent bars. Check out Tommy Nevin's plus one of the brewery's. Plenty of spots to keep yourself occupied on Friday night.

Don't forget, the volleyball team is taking on Northwestern Friday night at Evanston Township HS at 7:00. Tickets are $7.00.

Judging by the skill of the 2 teams, it should be done by 8:30.

This will be my 4th trip to Evanston (07, 09, 11).

As others have said, hop on the L and get down to Wrigleyville on Saturday night.

Evanston isn't the liveliest of college towns but there are still a few decent bars. Check out Tommy Nevin's plus one of the brewery's. Plenty of spots to keep yourself occupied on Friday night.

One of my college buddies who live in Chicago said this is closing....

Went a few years ago. Stayed downtown and took an Uber to the game and back. That year, there was a big Gopher outing at the golf course near the stadium. A lot of Gopher fans there. Not sure if they are doing that this year, but tailgating should also be very easy.

Here's a great spot for a bar and great steaks, been there since 1941 and we go there everytime we go down to watch the Gophers play. Gene and Georgetti's, 500 N. Franklin. https://geneandgeorgetti.com/ Legends like Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, & Lucille Ball as well as modern day celebrities like Russell Crowe, Keanu Reeves, Vince Vaughn, and Will Ferrell, along with international, national, and local politicians, have helped make Gene & Georgetti a classic old-time Chicago place to dine. The restaurant proudly boasts a legion of regular customers, some going back more than 50 years. Last time we were there was on a Friday night prior to the Gophers playing NW but USC was also playing Notre Dame in South Bend the next day and the place was loaded with college football fans.

Here's a great spot for a bar and great steaks, been there since 1941 and we go there everytime we go down to watch the Gophers play. Gene and Georgetti's, 500 N. Franklin. https://geneandgeorgetti.com/ Legends like Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, & Lucille Ball as well as modern day celebrities like Russell Crowe, Keanu Reeves, Vince Vaughn, and Will Ferrell, along with international, national, and local politicians, have helped make Gene & Georgetti a classic old-time Chicago place to dine. The restaurant proudly boasts a legion of regular customers, some going back more than 50 years. Last time we were there was on a Friday night prior to the Gophers playing NW but USC was also playing Notre Dame in South Bend the next day and the place was loaded with college football fans.

Sounds kind of like a Chicago version of Murrays. Maybe Sid Hartman will be there.

I didn't believe him at first. Didn't bother to google search either. That is pretty lame. :(

I didn't Google it. Please tell me it's being replaced with a Noodles and Company. I love to tailgate there.

Thanks for the recommendation! Best lasagna I've ever had in my life.

I consider myself a road game veteran and total diehard. I've sat through Iowa racing out to a 35-0 lead in the 2nd Q, Bielema going for 2/running up the score, and any other number of beatdowns over the years. My road game record now stands at a cool 6-18 (4-16 in the B1G).

My point is that I've seen some truly crap showings in my 34 years. But between the nasty weather and overall performance, Saturday was the worst game I've ever been to in my life.

I consider myself a road game veteran and total diehard. I've sat through Iowa racing out to a 35-0 lead in the 2nd Q, Bielema going for 2/running up the score, and any other number of beatdowns over the years. My road game record now stands at a cool 6-18 (4-16 in the B1G).

My point is that I've seen some truly crap showings in my 34 years. But between the nasty weather and overall performance, Saturday was the worst game I've ever been to in my life.

+1000. We didn't make it through the 3rd quarter before we headed back to the train. On the bright side, we had lots of fun on Saturday evening on Michigan Ave.

Sounds terrible. Glad you made it through. On to the next one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom