How to watch Gopher games without cable or satellite

Keyser Söze

Reaction score
Is there a way to watch Gopher basketball and football games without having cable or satellite and without going to shady websites? I'm not against paying for it, I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative than cable/satellite.

Ya, just search whatever event you're looking for in reddit. Put an adblocker on your computer and go for it. You're going to have to go to "shady" websites but the adblocker should block most if not all the ads. Unless you have a relative that has an account to a cable/satellite company that you could use to get watchespn or btn, then this is your best option. I've used it to watch all sorts of sports and haven't had issues with it.

make friends with someone with a Comcast account. Use their login for ESPN and BTN.

YouTube TV will give you a free month trial and comes with unlimited DVR (pause and rewind during live games). They have BTN and any Sports channel the Gophs will be on. But it's only available on computer or mobile, not on Apple TV, Roku or Sling. But that's easily solved by connecting an HDMI cable from your laptop into the TV

YouTube TV will give you a free month trial and comes with unlimited DVR (pause and rewind during live games). They have BTN and any Sports channel the Gophs will be on. But it's only available on computer or mobile, not on Apple TV, Roku or Sling. But that's easily solved by connecting an HDMI cable from your laptop into the TV

Interesting, I hadn't heard about Youtube TV. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Interesting, I hadn't heard about Youtube TV. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

I use it. It's very affordable if you share it with 2 or 3 people - up to 3 simultaneous streams. Also comes with a free chromecast which solves the Roku problem. Then I just split a BTN Plus account with a few friends for this month and we are usually able to avoid streaming it at the same time.

Hulu live tv is better than sling and YouTube tv and has all channels the gophers will be on. (Espn networks, btn, fs1) plus fox sports north for other mn teams

We may have to take this to the off topic board, but Hulu is better as you have btn, fsn, and your locals offered. Youtube tv is $5 cheaper a month, but for a gopher fan who is also an overall sports fan, Hulu TV is awesome. (I had sling tv for a year, gave it up and glad I did)
Here is a pretty good comparison between Hulu and Youtube from September
https://flixed.io/youtube-tv-vs-hulu-tv/

Side note on Hulu- the interface used takes some getting used to. Not a normal guide like most services/cable have.

We may have to take this to the off topic board, but Hulu is better as you have btn, fsn, and your locals offered. Youtube tv is $5 cheaper a month, but for a gopher fan who is also an overall sports fan, Hulu TV is awesome. (I had sling tv for a year, gave it up and glad I did)
Here is a pretty good comparison between Hulu and Youtube from September
https://flixed.io/youtube-tv-vs-hulu-tv/

Side note on Hulu- the interface used takes some getting used to. Not a normal guide like most services/cable have.

Ya but Hulu was designed by a toddler.

So I don't want to get this particular account in trouble in case they are doing something against U of M, the B1G, or YouTube's terms of service, but someone has posted the two exhibition games and the first regular season game in their entirety on YouTube. I am not sure how quickly after the games they were up, but I actually went back and watched the UW-GB game today which I wasn't able to see live.

Your options are playstation Vue, Directvnow, youtube TV, and Hulu live TV.
So far, my wife and I have tried youtube tv and Hulu TV. I like youtube TV much, much better, and it's cheaper. We use both with a chromecast.

You could also make friends with someone who has a YTTV account, since you can play 3 screens at the same time and have six separate google accounts for one subscription, and each person gets their own unlimited separate dvr storage.

Your options are playstation Vue, Directvnow, youtube TV, and Hulu live TV.
So far, my wife and I have tried youtube tv and Hulu TV. I like youtube TV much, much better, and it's cheaper. We use both with a chromecast.

You could also make friends with someone who has a YTTV account, since you can play 3 screens at the same time and have six separate google accounts for one subscription, and each person gets their own unlimited separate dvr storage.

Thanks for the info. What is it about Youtube TV that you like better?

We've been happy with Vue but it appears youtube TV might be another good option.

Dad's Xfinity account. I have also bought BTN+, mainly for volleyball & WBB.

I don’t currently have a DVR option. Does anyone know if Fox Sports Go will host replay streams similar to BTN2GO and WatchESPN? When I looked yesterday, I couldn’t see any replay streams for previous events.

I don’t currently have a DVR option. Does anyone know if Fox Sports Go will host replay streams similar to BTN2GO and WatchESPN? When I looked yesterday, I couldn’t see any replay streams for previous events.

They do re stream, but the times aren't great. They are at 1, 3, 9 am and 2, 4 pm on Tues

They do re stream, but the times aren't great. They are at 1, 3, 9 am and 2, 4 pm on Tues

Thanks, I signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV to watch it via DVR tonight. 5:30 tip off and little kids do not mix well!

Thanks for the info. What is it about Youtube TV that you like better?

Hulu doesn't have a TV guide where you flip through the channels. The menus aren't intuitive and it's easy to get lost. It's in beta. The stream is more choppy than YTTV. It's more expensive. We don't get one local channel that we do get with YTTV. The DVR has only 50 hours of space, and you can't skip commercials! The lack of a true dvr is probably the biggest one.

If I wanted the hulu library of shows I might feel different, but we pretty much use tv for watching sports, almost always through the DVR. FS1 seemed to have a ton of commercials last night. With hulu, you can pause live tv, but then you can only play again.

I've got to say that DVR function was really handy yesterday, I really forgot how much I missed a true DVR. I've tried Playstation Vue, and Sling TV as well, and so far this YouTube TV seemed to be the most functional.

Top Bottom