PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 11-12-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday (Nov 12)

Sid: I met your kids
PJF: they've all got birthdays coming up.

Sid could you see this coming?
PJF: I think we could see it coming at one point. offensive staff - we're closer than we think. a lot of inexperienced people playing key positions. sooner or later comes together. shows capability of what we can do. we've been missing execution. this week, had offense, defense, special teams all playing in sync

Sid: will this game give kids more confidence?
PJF: I think their backs were against the wall. we have to keep changing our best. gain knowledge, gain experience, learn from our failings, learn from our successes.

Max: QB making reads as option QB - Demry made right reads
PJF: decision-making was correct and decisive. haven't had that consistency. showed what he can become. got to continue to get better in a lot of areas. on Saturday, Demry was a very prepared QB. give Kirk C. a lot of credit. hasn't been easy situation for him in developing QB's. we've had to adjust our scheme to fit QB. shorten playbook.

Sid: Croft showed good speed on those long runs
PJF: we've got to find ways to get him in open. we're not going to run him 25 times a game. we're going to run our system. look around country, Maryland is on their 4th QB. got to be careful how much you run guys. make sure he's running with open spaces.

Mona: Croft looked confident. his hand-work so convincing
PJF: we work on ball-handling every single day. Kirk C. - I don't think there's anyone better in country at developing QB's. has ability to make people feel comfortable. he's an incredible listener. Demry- watch his feet from 1st time to now - don't forget, we've been judging people based on their 1st start ever in new system. it's a journey. showing flashes of what we're capable of becoming.

Sid: changes in O-line 409 yds rushing
PJF: we're going to run the FB. want to be balanced 50-50. had some drops yesterday. Demry should have been 14 of 15. we'll always run the ball in creative ways. had 2 FR in o-line. Greene did finish game. Weyler done for year. Wright got hurt. Had 5 healthy linemen coming into year. Credit to Ed W. just getting better. really improving.

Sid: Smith, McCrary.
PJF: 1st opening KO return TD since 1999 with Tyrone Carter. the Duo we have - Kobe is the secret gem of entire year. he will only continue to get better. doing tremendous job of taking what defense gives you. incredible feet. Rodney getting better as leader. he's more comfortable in system. we are still a generally young and inexperienced team. we have some experienced guys, but we don't have 22 experienced players on Off and Def. continue to work on our 1-game seasons. Next week play Northwestern, try to go 1-0 that week.

Max: 4th-and-short. they're driving. you make stop. game-changer.
PJF: every play is a story. changes the game, defines how you play rest of game. could have been 14-14. Duke makes heck of a tackle. we go down and score. one of biggest plays of game that gets lost in the shuffle.

Sid: young Spielman put on a show.
PJF: we can't let people like that leave the state. going to be fun watching the match-ups with Spielman and Winfield in the future.

Max: Winfield - medical redshirt?
PJF: injury has to be significant enough. out a long time. sit down with family and him. see what options are. could he play by WI? by a bowl game? is that worth having another year. would be nice having him around for 3 more years.

Sid: what do you know about Northwestern?
PJF: I'm familiar with coach Fitzgerald. we played against him at WMU. (QB) Thorson is playing better as year goes on. their defense is very aggressive. Pat's defense is always sound. we'll head out to Chicago on Friday. See if we can become 1-0.

Sid: Murray's
PJF: RTB. Ski-u-Mah.

(Dave Mona announces the Northwestern game is set for 11:00am.)

Nice recap Son. Very much appreciated. Last two games are going to be fun to watch. I just want to see some quality football being played like any game. Losing and winning with sloppiness is not fun to watch.

I will take sloppy wins the next two games.

Well you got me there. I'll take the wins...but I think recruits and most fans would like us to see us win with execution that is elite and more fun to watch.

Thanks, shorty. Great coverage. Fleck sounded a lot more palatable today. Winning helps. Beating Nebraska helps a lot. RTB. Ski-u-Mah!

So who are the two Freshmen who played on the O-Line yesterday?

I hope they did not burn Blaise Andries red shirt.

So that means Blaise Andries' RS is intact?

So that means Blaise Andries' RS is intact?

Hungan - you seem to ask this weekly! Don't you think there would be a huge uproar if Blaise entered a game? There'd be 3 threads dedicated to it let alone comments in every other thread- and Sid would have even inquired as to why he played. No more coffee for you my friend- you need to chill and relax a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungan - you seem to ask this weekly! Don't you think there would be a huge uproar if Blaise entered a game? There'd be 3 threads dedicated to it let alone comments in every other thread- and Sid would have even inquired as to why he played. No more coffee for you my friend- you need to chill and relax a bit.

+1. At this point PJ would play 10 on offense over playing Blaise.

No doubt Woz would move to tackle...he's not far off the size and I think they have a all on that could slide in as well.

Top Bottom