All things 5-7 - Bowl Game Possibilities Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it was Mason or Kill but for a couple Bowl Games it looked like the coach put emphasis on playing the underclassmen more.

Maybe it was just my perception, but it's a great way to get some game experience for those kids who haven't been on the field a lot who will be more relied upon the following year.
Some would say this year, there aren't many candidates who fit that description because they've already been playing.

No you are correct, it does show 40. The reason is that the “Celebration Bowl” isn’t an FBS bowl game. It’s a game between two conferences of historically black universities that play at the FCS level.

Ah...that's too bad. I was hoping for 80 openings to improve our chances.

I was talking to a co-worker who was a hard "If you're not .500+ then you don't deserve a bowl game" the other day and provided him with this counter argument: If there aren't enough teams to fill all the bowls with .500+ teams, and we stop allowing 5-7 teams to fill in, that means some bowls would go un-played during certain years due to not having two teams to play in them. If we did that, wouldn't we be taking away a bowl game from a .500+ team that earned it? Which is worse, a 5-7 team playing in a bowl they didn't earn or a .500+ team getting the bowl game they earned taken away from them due to lack of teams?

He saw my point and said "We can't have a .500+ team go bowl-less if there are enough bowls to allow them to play" and now we are in agreement. Even though he still thinks 5-7 teams didn't earn it, he is on board with them playing in bowl games if there are enough .500+ teams to fill them.

Fact is, on a random Tuesday or Thursday night in late December, I'd sooner watch a power five, 5-7 team play against a MAC or SUN Belt Conference team instead of watching the MN Wild or Timberwolves play an almost as meaningless regular season game, and the ratings across the nation show that more people agree with that opinion than disagree with that opinion.

Yes, even though I am an NBA fan I would agree.

FWIW
CBS (Week 11) has Gophers in Foster Farms Bowl vs Stanford.

I'm pretty sure you were talking to the OP, but nonetheless:

- I do think they'll be competitive against Sconnie ... the game is in Minny, it's a massive rivalry, etc. .... but frankly see no chance for a Gophs win
- they have a chance against NW ... but it's on the road, much tougher to win there, and the team we're playing is much closer to Michigan than Nebraska

5-7 might be the best we can hope for this year. And it still well could land them in a lower bowl. I'd take it, so would Fleck, and so would the team.

I keep hearing here and elsewhere, e.g. BTN, that NW is a hard place to play. A (quick) perusal of their home and away records shows they are relatively close and the home record likely includes more patsy teams. So I legitimately ask why it's tough to play there? They historically have a small crowd? I don't get it, someone educate me.

Not sure if it was Mason or Kill but for a couple Bowl Games it looked like the coach put emphasis on playing the underclassmen more.

Maybe it was just my perception, but it's a great way to get some game experience for those kids who haven't been on the field a lot who will be more relied upon the following year.
Some would say this year, there aren't many candidates who fit that description because they've already been playing.

Wasn't there some chatter last year or in the off-season about not having bowl games count for Freshman? (i.e., if they haven't played all year, the bowl game wouldn't ding them)

It is 78 teams that go to bowl games. 40 bowl games which includes national championship game.

It was 80 teams last year. One bowl was discontinued. One other bowl moved to Frisco. Two other bowls were renamed.

Changes from the prior season's bowl games are the Frisco Bowl replacing the Miami Beach Bowl, and discontinuation of the Poinsettia Bowl. What was the Russell Athletic Bowl is now the Camping World Bowl, due to a sponsorship change. What was the St. Petersburg Bowl has been rebranded as the Gasparilla Bowl.

If wisconsin makes the playoffs our chances improve with 5 wins otherwise I think we may be on the outside looking in. Apr may be our saving grace and help us get in some garbage bowl no place warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't there some chatter last year or in the off-season about not having bowl games count for Freshman? (i.e., if they haven't played all year, the bowl game wouldn't ding them)

I'm not sure if the NCAA is considering it but I know Kill talked about how he wanted it.

I keep hearing here and elsewhere, e.g. BTN, that NW is a hard place to play. A (quick) perusal of their home and away records shows they are relatively close and the home record likely includes more patsy teams. So I legitimately ask why it's tough to play there? They historically have a small crowd? I don't get it, someone educate me.

I think the Gophers beat Northwestern. End of story.

If wisconsin makes the playoffs our chances improve with 5 wins otherwise I think we may be on the outside looking in. Apr may be our saving grace and help us get in some garbage bowl no place warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care where the game is at as long as it's an extra game to watch.
Demry could use it for development as well as many other players.

Quick Lane Bowl vs Western Michigan would be the PJ Bowl.

Why would any true Gopher fan not want their team make it to a bowl game??

No reason at all. Not one.

I think the Gophers need to beat NW or Wisc to get into a Bowl.

The bowl games’ contracts with conferences don’t matter when you get that far down to it, if that’s what you meant.

If 5-7 teams have to be used to fill remaining bowl slots, they’re required to be filled in order of highest APR.

I think the Gophers beat Northwestern. End of story.

""This win today was important not only because you beat a great, great team under tough circumstances...it's important because we took this program from a loser to a winner." It was our sixth win of the year." Derek Burns on Coach Mason's post game speech after defeating #2 Penn State, 1999

NW, Wisconsin, I don't care. I want this team to go out as winners.

Well, that and get the extra 15 practices. Plus any bowl game, no matter how lower down, is an awesome atmosphere, the players get swag ... it's a treat for the players after a long, hard year of work.

Win next week, and it takes care of itself. But even if not ... I absolutely think the guys this year should at least have the same thing they did two years ago and get a win vs C Michigan, type of bowl game. This year could actually end up very similar to that year, if you think of the TCU game as being like a Big Ten level game ... three non-conf wins vs lower opponents, managed to win two Big Ten games against the lowest West division teams, snuck into a bottom bowl at 5-7.

So be it, if it comes to pass.

I'm not sure if the NCAA is considering it but I know Kill talked about how he wanted it.

The College Football Coaches Association (or similar organization) recommended allowing four games to be played and not count as a year of eligibility (remove any doubt of medical redshirt, allow freshmen to play in a game or four if an unexpected string of injuries occur, etc.). It was not adopted yet. I would like to see this myself. You look at some of the freshmen that the Gophers could have tossed out for a game or two to bridge gaps in injured players but still retain the year of eligibility, it could have been really helpful. The only downside is it would likely eliminate the 5th year some kids get.

Even if they don't adopt that, I would like to see the Bowl game not count toward eligibility. I wonder if that may be the compromise that comes out of the above suggestion.

Well, that and get the extra 15 practices. Plus any bowl game, no matter how lower down, is an awesome atmosphere, the players get swag ... it's a treat for the players after a long, hard year of work.

Win next week, and it takes care of itself. But even if not ... I absolutely think the guys this year should at least have the same thing they did two years ago and get a win vs C Michigan, type of bowl game. This year could actually end up very similar to that year, if you think of the TCU game as being like a Big Ten level game ... three non-conf wins vs lower opponents, managed to win two Big Ten games against the lowest West division teams, snuck into a bottom bowl at 5-7.

So be it, if it comes to pass.

Yeah, when you add in all the injuries we've experienced on D and OL as well as the lack of experience at key skill positions on O (RB & WR in 2015, QB & WR in 2017), the 2015 and 2017 teams are eerily similar. Now please, please just don't give Wisconsin a scare only to lose at the 1 yard line as time expires. I shouldn't have even said that...

The College Football Coaches Association (or similar organization) recommended allowing four games to be played and not count as a year of eligibility (remove any doubt of medical redshirt, allow freshmen to play in a game or four if an unexpected string of injuries occur, etc.). It was not adopted yet. I would like to see this myself. You look at some of the freshmen that the Gophers could have tossed out for a game or two to bridge gaps in injured players but still retain the year of eligibility, it could have been really helpful. The only downside is it would likely eliminate the 5th year some kids get.

Even if they don't adopt that, I would like to see the Bowl game not count toward eligibility. I wonder if that may be the compromise that comes out of the above suggestion.

Not only that, but it would give fans something additional to look forward to regarding bowl game interest, with the recent movement for some to skip their bowl game if it isn't one of the big time bowls, like Fournette & McCaffery did last year. I'm all for it.

The Big Ten will not allow Wisconsin to lose if they are undefeated when playing Minnesota.

Too much money involved.

The Big Ten will not allow Wisconsin to lose if they are undefeated when playing Minnesota.

Too much money involved.

It will be a lot more convenient if we just get blown out like we have been since Brewster was coach, that way they don't need to make so many ridiculous bad officiating calls.

If stays close, by the end it could look like a darn Packer game broke out with all the bad calls.

Oh yeah, big time.

Delany has called in all the favors and put the fix in. Ohio St will win the rest of its games, so it has the highest ranking possible to boost up Wisconsin's strength of schedule, for when they are made to win the Big Ten championship game. It is set in stone.

2017 Wisconsin = 2016 Washington. They'll get the #4 seed and play Alabama, hopefully in the Rose Bowl instead of the Sugar Bowl ... but probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom