CBS: Archie Miller hears boos in his debut as Hoosiers lose to Indiana State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

If there is such a thing as a honeymoon period in coaching, Indiana's Archie Miller saw his come to an unceremonious end on Friday night when Indiana State came into Assembly Hall and throttled the Hoosiers 90-69.

"We're soft," said Miller. "We're just a soft team. You don't have to sugarcoat it at all."

Boos were heard from Hoosier fans with IU trailing by 21 at halftime.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-his-debut-as-hoosiers-lose-to-indiana-state/

Go Gophers!!

Wow! Talk about giving a guy a chance...sheesh. Been interesting...I've seen Indiana picked top 3 in the Big 10 because of the talent and coaching. And I've seen them picked at the bottom. Nobody else has such a wide disparity, that I've seen. Coach says, his team is soft in game one...not sure that's wise...especially, if it's true. Soft and lazy are two different things, so it could work. Hard to say, but they already got waxed by an in-state school. If confidence was an issue, this won't help. No matter what...Not how you want the opener to go.

Don't think any credible pundits are picking IU in the top three

Can't imagine how they could. I thought the ESPN prediction posted here recently picking them 9th was a big generous.

Two things play into possibly overrating them: 1) Indiana's historical tradition and achievement and 2) sports writers often have short memories. Despite their illustrious history, Indiana can be terrible just like most other teams. Crean's first three Indiana teams had losing seasons (overall not just in the Big Ten; his first had only 6 wins and his second had only 10). Even within the last four years, Indiana had two seasons that were really mediocre: 17 and 18 wins respectively.

Getting waxed by your inferior state sister school will not endear you to the fan base. Archie has the leeway to throw kids he didn't recruit under the bus all he wants. If he's doing the same thing three years from now, he and the program are in real trouble. Clem did the same thing when the Gophers lost to Austin Peay in his first season.

They honeymoon lasted through warmups. Cool.

Top Bottom