Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adchester View Post
    McKinley Wright with 19 pts and 5 asts in Colorado's win over Arizona State
    Had 16 and 10 today in an upset over Arizona today. He's far better as a freshman than I ever imagined he would. You could tell by what some of the other local kids thought of him that he was different. He's proven to be a great leader at Colorado already.

Macura 1/6 from three in a loss to Providence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I’d sprinkle some of the underwhelming news here so the FOMO as a result of this thread isn’t as strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steffon Mitchell had 17 points, 5 rebounds and 4 blocks in Boston College's win over Wake Forest today.

Quote Originally Posted by adchester View Post
    McKinley Wright with 19 pts and 5 asts in Colorado's win over Arizona State
    We really missed on Wright. Leads Colorado in points and minutes. Has scored in double digits in all but one of his sixteen games. And now they are on a two game win streak (#4 Arizona State and #14 Arizona).

Andy Katz declares McKinley Wright a Rising Star
    and proclaims that nobody wants to face Zach Lofton and New Mexico State in the first round of the tourney.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...midseason-mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jigga View Post
    Andy Katz declares McKinley Wright a Rising Star
    and proclaims that nobody wants to face Zach Lofton and New Mexico State in the first round of the tourney.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...midseason-mark
    I trusted Pitino (and other evaluators) when he prioritized Washington over Wright. But I really liked Wright and hoped we wouldn't regret missing out on a local kid who seems to have charisma and connections to other local players, in addition to skills. I know we supposedly still would've taken Wright even after Jelly committed, but that wasn't realistic.

I also know Washington has skills and a nationwide following. It's way early and I have high hopes for Washington. But Wright would look good in maroon and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hates Monikers View Post
    I trusted Pitino (and other evaluators) when he prioritized Washington over Wright. But I really liked Wright and hoped we wouldn't regret missing out on a local kid who seems to have charisma and connections to other local players, in addition to skills. I know we supposedly still would've taken Wright even after Jelly committed, but that wasn't realistic.

I also know Washington has skills and a nationwide following. It's way early and I have high hopes for Washington. But Wright would look good in maroon and gold.
    For what it's worth, I have a friend who coached McKinley Wright, and I've been told that McKinley never really considered the Gophers. He was 100% sold on Dayton, and was devastated when Archie Miller left for Indiana. After reopening his recruitment, IW was firmly in that slot, and removed any possibility of Wright coming here. I don't think we ever had much of a shot, he purportedly wasn't too excited about the culture at the U (sex tape scandal was pretty big at the peak of his recruitment).

Iw no doubt gotta take him...Harris...sure we needed shooting but if u already knew of the lynch info then how do u not bring in another big...sims sholda been a gopher

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Assuming this is true, it's very disappointing to hear that he was turned off by that stupid sex tape scandal.

We could have really used him and he could have been a program changer. I know we probably wouldn't have gotten IW, but on the off chance he came too, our guard depth would have been incredible. Oh well, such is life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schlegs View Post
    Iw no doubt gotta take him...Harris...sure we needed shooting but if u already knew of the lynch info then how do u not bring in another big...sims sholda been a gopher

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Sims seemed to be one of the staff's top priorities, it really seemed like we wanted a big for 2017 until accepting the Harris commitment. I don't think there's any reason to believe the coaches would have known about Lynch's misconduct, considering it seems it likely wasn't even reported until over a year after Sims committed to Texas.

If Wright actually turned us down because of the sex tape, that's pretty stupid. It was literally just a couple kids experimenting sexually and making a dumb mistake, nothing unethical or morally wrong, and not a "culture problem."

Quote Originally Posted by schlegs View Post
    We tried hard to get Sims, went to all his games, visited him during all the recruiting periods, etc. He said we were going to be one of his official visits, but then jumped the gun and committed to Texas. Knowing they're an Adidas school (as was Sims' aau team), it really makes me wonder. Yes, Shaka Smart blah blah blah, but still, it seemed like a very odd choice at the time according to people who seemed to be in the know. (Most expected him to stay home).

One way or another, if the Gopher program isn't attractive to a player like Wright for whatever reason, that's a problem. I can understand five-star athletes being drawn to blue-chip programs, and I can understand Macura wanting a smaller private school, but getting aced out of a three-star player by a comparable state school like Colorado - that hurts. Maybe the improved facilities will make the difference; I don't know. One way or another: recognizing the talents of a player like Wright and being an attractive situation for him both program-wise and school-wise will be the key to future success. You look around the country at teams that go far, and it's often 3-star players that go beyond that pedigree. Mason and Murphy are examples, and that's great, but let's reel in those local kids of the same cloth.

Wright wanted to be a Gopher and would have been here if Washington wouldn't have committed first. Archie recruited Wright for a long time and he felt he owed it to him to take an official to Dayton, while on his official to Dayton, Washington committed here.

Heres an article about CBB's Ultimate Journeyman from Minnesota

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...-home.amp.html