Minnesota kids around college basketball

SM_25

Reaction score
I thought it would be kind of fun to have a thread tracking the games of Minnesota kids around college basketball. I know that if they don't pick Minnesota we aren't suppose to like them around here, but it would be fun to talk about them.

Akolda Mangyang with 10 boards at halftime against Duke. 5 blocks and 7 rebounds last night against Kentucky. Would be nice to have a big like him coming off the bench for our squad. I did hear the announcers say that he was 24 years old right now though after all of the transfers

Geno Crandall, who played at DeLasalle, is the leading scorer in the country after scoring 41 last night. He is a redshirt Junior at North Dakota. We do need another ball handling guard for nect year........

There are just so many MN kids playing D1. Tough to track many or all

What is going on with Race Thompson? Is he injured?

It doesn't make sense to reclassify if you are not going to play immediately.

Davison getting some good minutes with Wisco, Goanar starting for George Mason, Pickford starting for Northern Iowa, McKinley Wright starting for Colorado, Gary Trent Jr. averaging 17 PPG for Duke, Sims and John both getting some good minutes.

That's just the freshmen.

Anyone know what's up with Reuvers?

Trae Berhow (Watertown-Mayer) is starting for Pepperdine. Scored 13 in the opener against Oklahoma State.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Zach Lofton playing his senior year at New Mexico State. Started and scored 25 in their season opener.

JP Macura with 18 pts, 4 ast, 5 stl in Xavier's first game.

Reid Travis averaging 24.5 pts and 9 boards through two games for Stanford.

Nuni Omot with 15 pts, 9 ast, and 6 rebs in Baylor's first game.

It's great to see more and more Minnesotans play across the nation.
Years ago it seemed like we knew of one or two.

A deeper pool of homegrown talent should make it easier to recruit the quality of player we need at MN to consistently win.

Reed Nikko, Maple Grove, is a Sophomore forward/center for a much improved Missouri Tigers team. Scored 8 pts yesterday off the bench in 14 minutes.

Tywhon Pickford starting for Northern Iowa had 16 pts, 10 rebs in a win last night.

It's great to see more and more Minnesotans play across the nation.
Years ago it seemed like we knew of one or two.

A deeper pool of homegrown talent should make it easier to recruit the quality of player we need at MN to consistently win.

This state has produced some pretty good basketball players for a while now, it has just been really hard to get them to stay home. Hopefully the class of instate kids coming in next year will start to change that trend and more of the top instate guys will stick around.

JP Macura with 18 pts, 4 ast, 5 stl in Xavier's first game.

Reid Travis averaging 24.5 pts and 9 boards through two games for Stanford.

Nuni Omot with 15 pts, 9 ast, and 6 rebs in Baylor's first game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This state has produced some pretty good basketball players for a while now, it has just been really hard to get them to stay home. Hopefully the class of instate kids coming in next year will start to change that trend and more of the top instate guys will stick around.

I think we've done pretty well keeping kids home. From the time Tubby was hired up until the class of 2016, I think Macura is the only non-5-star/McDonald's All-American type recruit that we wanted and didn't get, maybe Kyle Washington, but I thought he was a transplant who had only been living in Minnesota for a couple years. We took Nwankwo's commitment with our, at the time, final 2015 scholarship, closing the door on Illikainen. We got Michael Hurt, Amir Coffey, Jarvis Johnson, Joe Coleman, Rodney Williams, Royce White, we had Trevor Mbakwe, Joey King, Zach Lofton, and Reggie Lynch transfer back home. I think we do pretty well landing the in-state kids ranked around 50-200. I suppose you could make an argument that after producing so many 5 star kids, we should be able to land at least one of them.

I think we've done pretty well keeping kids home. From the time Tubby was hired up until the class of 2016, I think Macura is the only non-5-star/McDonald's All-American type recruit that we wanted and didn't get, maybe Kyle Washington, but I thought he was a transplant who had only been living in Minnesota for a couple years. We took Nwankwo's commitment with our, at the time, final 2015 scholarship, closing the door on Illikainen. We got Michael Hurt, Amir Coffey, Jarvis Johnson, Joe Coleman, Rodney Williams, Royce White, we had Trevor Mbakwe, Joey King, Zach Lofton, and Reggie Lynch transfer back home. I think we do pretty well landing the in-state kids ranked around 50-200. I suppose you could make an argument that after producing so many 5 star kids, we should be able to land at least one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I️ like this thread, hope we can keep it going through the year. It’s always possible one or more of these guys could transfer back.

Last night Theo John posted a Konate-like line, trying to guard haas of Purdue — 3 points and 5 fouls in 10 minutes. Marquette got killed.

Reid Travis had 20 and 10 in a Stanford LOSS to Eastern Washington. Lol. I️ personally am cheering for Stanford to never sniff the NCAA tourney in Travis’ 5 years there (he already got a medical RS).

When I visited Glacier Park this summer, we kept running into people from Mahtomedi. It was downright freaky. Now there's one puting the hammer down on TAMUCC. They're everywhere!

EVEN ON THIS BOARD!!! :cool:

McKinley Wright looks really good for Colorado early on. Gonna be an All-Pac 12 caliber player before it's all said and done.

Top Bottom