Minnesota kids around college basketball

You are making a huge assumption that we would have gotten Amir, Dupree, etc. if we had Macura. I find it very hard to believe. There is a domino effect (good or bad) when you bring in Macura and the resulting kids you recruit, PT available, personality fit, etc.

Go Gophers!!

Dupree was an underrated recruit. He's grown a couple inches and was maybe a buck fifty soking wet when we signed him, he has come a long way. And I doubt Coffey would've been scared off by JP. Either way it's all wishful thinking.

This is one of my favorites:

"I like JP, but he's no Allerik Freeman or even Alvin Ellis. I don't see him as a 3 level scorer or ever starting. If we end up with 5 tenders for the class of 2014, which I think we will, I would like to sign him. Coach P. is reaching for pretty rarified air for us Gopher Faithful and JP may need to wait his turn. Once again, I do like him."

This is one of my favorites:

"I like JP, but he's no Allerik Freeman or even Alvin Ellis. I don't see him as a 3 level scorer or ever starting. If we end up with 5 tenders for the class of 2014, which I think we will, I would like to sign him. Coach P. is reaching for pretty rarified air for us Gopher Faithful and JP may need to wait his turn. Once again, I do like him."

Good stuff. Too short, to slow, bad release, can't play D...

This would be a no-brainer if Macura were 6-9, but he's 6-4. If he grows, then give him a look. If this is as tall as he gets, then he's a good player at the high D2 level or low D1.

lmao, good stuff. My favorite is the poster who suggested he's just a shorter version of Joey King. :clap:

Kind of sad reading that thread, knowing how good JP turned out to be, because for a long time it looked clear that JP was going to be a Gopher if and when we offered, especially after Brad Stevens left Butler. Sure seemed like the GH staff thought he was coming here. And sad to relive all the hopes of Tyus, Vaugh, Isaiah Whitehead, etc.

McKinley Wright hitting game winners.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It sounds like he's really been impressing out there. He finished with 21 points tonight.

Graham Woodward scored 20 as Drake beat Wake Forest.

McKinley Wright hitting game winners.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It sounds like he's really been impressing out there. He finished with 21 points tonight.

Outside of Jones I thought he was the best high school player in Minnesota last year, not surprising at all.

Outside of Jones I thought he was the best high school player in Minnesota last year, not surprising at all.

Agreed, I really like IW...but I wonder if in 4 years the Gophers will be wishing they would have gotten Kin over Washington.

Agreed, I really like IW...but I wonder if in 4 years the Gophers will be wishing they would have gotten Kin over Washington.

I think Washington would be putting up similar numbers or maybe even better if given the freedom McKinley's been given at Colorado. With that said, I would definitely take Wright on my team. Great leader and should be a good player for them. The basketball talent in the state is getting deeper and deeper it seems and these guys are coming in and have been contributors from the jump. It's pretty cool to see and follow.

McKinley Wright MVP of Paradise Jam

Colorado beats Mercer 79-70 won win the 8-team Paradise Jam. Wright the first freshman to be named MVP of the Paradise Jam. Finished tournament with 54 points, 18 assists, and 14 rebounds in 3 games.

The most surprising part about this is that it took a buzzer beater for them to beat Quinnipiac!

Nate Mason was just quoted saying that when it's all said and done, Washington will be one of the best Gopher guards ever. Quite the statement from the reigning All-B1G PG, who's no slouch himself. Give me Washington over Wright any day.

Nate Mason was just quoted saying that when it's all said and done, Washington will be one of the best Gopher guards ever. Quite the statement from the reigning All-B1G PG, who's no slouch himself. Give me Washington over Wright any day.
Hope you're right. Only time will tell I suppose. I think we can all agree that we wish we had a spot for McKinley after the Dayton coaching change.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I absolutely love our recruits, Washington and Harris, and do not have any heartburn about taking them over Davison and Wright. That said, Davison and Wright are super freshmen and could be playing for just about anybody. The heartburn I have is on account of how many people on this board badmouthed their high school games and their college game readiness. People have been down on Gabe K's game as well, but I'm overjoyed that we got him. He can simply play basketball, and that's what it's about.

I hope what this does is provide yet another reminder - as if we haven't had enough of them in the past - that local guards can play. Clem could have had Troy Bell and/or Jake Sullivan but didn't prioritize them highly enough. The Gophers probably could have had Nick Jacobson, too. And I don't care what anyone says, I would have taken Steve Sir in a heartbeat. And all this isn't hindsight; I was saying these things at the time. Anyhoo, I just want people to finally accept that a Gopher roster with local guards can be a very good team.

This thread is about Minnesota kids in college basketball, correct?

The thing to understand about Washington is that he comes from a playground kind of play, so it will take him some time to adjust to our team. Sure you could put him in there 30 minutes a game and Washington would learn on the job, but fortunately we have great guard play already and don't need him to learn on the job. But I see flashes of talent that make me agree with what Mason said. His ball skills, passing is great. He just needs to learn team play, team defense, and when to do and not do certain things, and how to play against big men.

Read the post I was responding to. Someone said the Gophers may end up wishing they had gotten Wright over Washington. I thought it was a relevant time to share the Mason statement. Highlighting my quote and criticizing me is more off topic than anything else in this thread.

I hope Wright has wonderful career, especially since he's not in the B1G. I'll be cheering for him as much as possible. I'm still glad we got Washington over him though.

Yes, but it is kind of expected that some of the discussion in this thread will compare MN kids who go out of state to current Gopher players.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brock Bertram with a Konate-esque line against #12 Cincy right now.

0 PTS, 0 REB, 4 fouls

SS getting sassy! Odd timing considering his post really was on topic.

Even though there are many Minnesotans performing well across the country, there are very few players I would trade from our team.

Jericho Sims is 6th in Minutes for Texas so far this season. However his best statistic game and most minutes came in a game where starter Mohamed Bamba was sitting out.

Texas is currently 3-0 but have played no one. They do have Butler (3-1) on Thanksgiving Day.

I really thought the Gophers would get Sims and wish they had. He'd be playing a lot of minutes for us this year.

Jericho Sims is 6th in Minutes for Texas so far this season. However his best statistic game and most minutes came in a game where starter Mohamed Bamba was sitting out.

Texas is currently 3-0 but have played no one. They do have Butler (3-1) on Thanksgiving Day.

I really thought the Gophers would get Sims and wish they had. He'd be playing a lot of minutes for us this year.

A lot of Gopher fans thought we’d get Sims. Was reported throughout his recruitment that people who knew him thought he’d stay home. It would’ve made a lot of sense, from a lot of angles (and still would). We didn’t even get an OV in the end. I’m suspicious of Texas...not Shaka specifically, but the program (which is Adidas fwiw, as is Sims’ aau team).

A lot of Gopher fans thought we’d get Sims. Was reported throughout his recruitment that people who knew him thought he’d stay home. It would’ve made a lot of sense, from a lot of angles (and still would). We didn’t even get an OV in the end. I’m suspicious of Texas...not Shaka specifically, but the program (which is Adidas fwiw, as is Sims’ aau team).

Texas is a Nike school. I think all these brands are tied up in dirty business but I can't see Jericho being tied up in anything like that. He's just not that level of prospect. Sims seemed like a different kind of kid...very quiet and distant. The kid doesn't even have any social media I don't think. One thing about staying home is a lot of responsibility comes with that. Cameras are in your face that bit more, everyone wants an interview and the fans pay more attention to you. How we evaluate how Michael plays in comparison to guys like Fitz and Harris is pretty night and day. Someone with Jericho's personality is probably better suited for somewhere else where he can just be one of the guys.

Albeit they just lost their second game of this young season, Brad Davison has been very impressive for Wisconsin. Big time leadership skills displayed yesterday vs. Baylor and had some nice assists and hit a couple clutch shots. For a freshman he’s breaking into their rotation and looks like the type of kid I wish would hav stayed home. We’ll see...

Albeit they just lost their second game of this young season, Brad Davison has been very impressive for Wisconsin. Big time leadership skills displayed yesterday vs. Baylor and had some nice assists and hit a couple clutch shots. For a freshman he’s breaking into their rotation and looks like the type of kid I wish would hav stayed home. We’ll see...

Worked his way into the starting lineup for the UCLA game.

Steffon Mitchell of Shakopee is a freshman at Boston College after a year at Sunrise Christian Academy. He is the 6th man and is averaging 7.8 points and 6.8 rebounds. He is 5th on the team in minutes.

Steffon Mitchell of Shakopee is a freshman at Boston College after a year at Sunrise Christian Academy. He is the 6th man and is averaging 7.8 points and 6.8 rebounds. He is 5th on the team in minutes.

Always liked his game, didn't realize he ended up at BC but it's good to see him playing well.

11 and 4 in just 13 minutes for Reuvers tonight.

Top Bottom