Post Game Thoughts

We don't score that many points very often in Big Ten play.

The last four times....
63 vs. Indiana in 2006
55 vs. Indiana in 2003
59 vs Purdue in 1993
55 vs. Iowa in 1949 (Western Conf)

Can't believe you'd forget 51 points vs Iowa in 2014

I don't know who on the Nebraska coaching staff is the equivalent to Jeff Horton, but he's probably the head coach early next week. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to fire someone this late in the season, but the hardest work the Cornhuskers did today was walk to the post office to mail in the game. And that falls on the head coach.

My post games thoughts are if the AD will let Reilly on the plane. Hopefully he's nice enough to give him a ride home

I just hope Cashman didnt trash his shoulder again badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As good as we looked today, we are going to have a hard time stopping Northwestern from passing for 500 yards. It's an encouraging win, but it has nothing to do with next week's game or the Wisconsin game.

The announcement on Riley will come Monday morning. He will coach through the next two weeks. Then it will be a whole new staff in 2018.

Dude was toast when he lost to N IL. Just like Brewster was.

As good as we looked today, we are going to have a hard time stopping Northwestern from passing for 500 yards. It's an encouraging win, but it has nothing to do with next week's game or the Wisconsin game.

I will gladly take the bet that NW will not throw for 500 or 400 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6) Somebody was giving me crap in another thread about saying our kids are still playing hard this season and haven't given up on Fleck, despite the fact that some posters here seem pretty down on the season. Well, I submit to you this game today. Two teams at 4-5 and desperately needing a win. One showed up to play and the other didn't. One has been giving maximum effort on every play, even when down big last week. Another is clearly mailing it in.

Was that fun or what?!

Yes, it was fun! But I'm worried that PJ is p*ssed off and is going to take it out the players next week in pratice. After all, they screwed up his plan to lose as many games as possible this. You see, that will make him look like even more of a miracle worker 4 years from now when his plan all comes together. That way people will praise him much, much more than if he had actually coached to win this year. One of truly dumb*ss things I've ever read on GH

I think he left it off because 51 < 54.

But I was thinking the same thing.

Good catch. You're right. Was just thinking in terms of we don't often score a lot of points and 51 is a lot. Also, would never want to miss an opportunity to remember that game.

Yes, it was fun! But I'm worried that PJ is p*ssed off and is going to take it out the players next week in pratice. After all, they screwed up his plan to lose as many games as possible this. You see, that will make him look like even more of a miracle worker 4 years from now when his plan all comes together. That way people will praise him much, much more than if he had actually coached to win this year. One of truly dumb*ss things I've ever read on GH

Was actually thinking that things went better this week because the coaches finally stopped wasting valuable practice time on the 4th down fist raise and things like that. They finally put that time into the gameplan and the results followed.

At least there should be a small break from the anti-fleck crowd, they will be back in full force if things don't go well against Northwestern. Nice to see the team put together a great effort today, I felt there was a great chance we would win the game but never would have predicted a blowout like that. Hopefully we can follow it up with a good game against Northwestern before finishing against what is clearly a very strong Wisconsin team yet again.

Wow - absolutely thrashing a traditional power like Nebraska is thrilling. This is already a successful season...a Trophy win. Go Fleck!!! I honestly didn't think we would be competitive at all in this game based on the recruiting imbalances. I am so proud of our team for producing such a historic victory!!!

I'm not saying the Gophers are going to beat Northwestern but they needed OT to beat Nebraska last week. Just a matter of which Gophers team shows up next week.

Come on, that was a stomping. If they never get another, they got one. Fun.

I was reading an article on Reilly's buyout - it's in the range of $7 million. Plus, Nebraska is still paying off Pelini. Apparently, if they fire Reilly this year, they will have to meet buyout obligations of more than $8 million over the next 5 years. (Pelini got another job, but Nebraska has to make up the difference between his current salary and what he was paid at Nebraska.)

So, it comes down to the question of how badly does Nebraska want to get rid of Reilly. Is there a fat-cat booster, or a couple of them, who would be willing to front the cash for the buyout?

Great to see Croft have a game like that that. Only a couple of plays where I was fearing that he was going to do something stupid. Looking forward to see how he does against Northwestern and then Wisconsin. As good as he looked today, that was a Nebraska team that quit on the season today. The last TD by us and that series at the end of the game had to have been some of the sorriest efforts by opponents I've seen in a long time.

As others have said, sure wish all of the Eden Prairie players on the field today were Gophers.

Quick Lane Bowl is gonna be a blast. And I don't say that to be a smart ass I'm quite excited because I live in Florida now, but I'll be in Chicago for the holidays and I'll definitely be there in attendance if that's what actually happens.

I was reading an article on Reilly's buyout - it's in the range of $7 million. Plus, Nebraska is still paying off Pelini. Apparently, if they fire Reilly this year, they will have to meet buyout obligations of more than $8 million over the next 5 years. (Pelini got another job, but Nebraska has to make up the difference between his current salary and what he was paid at Nebraska.)

So, it comes down to the question of how badly does Nebraska want to get rid of Reilly. Is there a fat-cat booster, or a couple of them, who would be willing to front the cash for the buyout?

I guess that's a reason he finishes this season instead of the mid-year firing.

Quick Lane Bowl is gonna be a blast. And I don't say that to be a smart ass I'm quite excited because I live in Florida now, but I'll be in Chicago for the holidays and I'll definitely be there in attendance if that's what actually happens.
Quicklane. Bowl is in Detroit.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I basically missed the game today so had to get bits and pieces via radio etc. Whatever happen to Greene? Did he not start, play?

Greene did play. After one of the td’s in the 3rd Quarter as Greene was coming off the field PJ stopped him and said a few words to him. Seemed pretty positive from the body language. I thought it was a nice moment in a challenging last few weeks.
Nice to get the the W today. It was good to be the more physical team. NE looked flat and with Lee out they really struggled. Croft definitely played his best game. He faked so well and made good looking throws today. I didn’t have as much apprehension watching him throw today. I was at the 84-13 game so beating NE is always a big deal me even if they’re down. Let’s beat NW next week. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This was a momentous team win under PJ Fleck - a much needed antidote.

It shows players are buying in to the new system, terminology, etc... I don't know if any of the current players decided to transfer out, but what we saw today in spite of playing against a badly demoralized Nebraska team is what is possible with the never quit attitude and good game planning.

Demry Croft and the team as a whole are getting more comfortable playing together. How with all the missing players, I don't know. Croft is definitely a threat to run and that added dimension will create problems for defenses.

Greene did play. After one of the td’s in the 3rd Quarter as Greene was coming off the field PJ stopped him and said a few words to him. Seemed pretty positive from the body language. I thought it was a nice moment in a challenging last few weeks.
Nice to get the the W today. It was good to be the more physical team. NE looked flat and with Lee out they really struggled. Croft definitely played his best game. He faked so well and made good looking throws today. I didn’t have as much apprehension watching him throw today. I was at the 84-13 game so beating NE is always a big deal me even if they’re down. Let’s beat NW next week. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greene went in 2nd. series. I thought he played as well as the other linemen. What concerns me with NW is I'm not sure Huff can cover any of their receivers. He sure didn't cover anyone today. Granted he might be playing out of position, but he is the one all the opponents seem to want to challenge. Can't hide him but maybe we can cover up for him. Hopefully the coaching staff has ways of decoying his shortcomings.

Greene went in 2nd. series. I thought he played as well as the other linemen. What concerns me with NW is I'm not sure Huff can cover any of their receivers. He sure didn't cover anyone today. Granted he might be playing out of position, but he is the one all the opponents seem to want to challenge. Can't hide him but maybe we can cover up for him. Hopefully the coaching staff has ways of decoying his shortcomings.

Huff isn't playing out of position.

Another thing i have liked this year and especially today is the lack of Gopher penalties. Last year there were so many false starts.
Very crisp and fun game to watch. Let’s beat the Cats!

Pretty sure you mean Duke McGhee and not Huff. McGhee was matched up on Spielman in the slot several times and got torched today. They made a few adjustments in the second half to fix it, but McGhee for the most part looked lost in the secondary today. He's much better playing safety, helping a corner with deep coverage or blitzing than he is being a cover corner.

Love the effort from the Gophers overall today. They hit Nebraska in the mouth, and the Cornhuskers should have the "black shirts" defensive label removed until it's deserved again. Croft looked very good today, had 2 passes right on the money to Johnson and Lingen that were dropped. Offensive line was fantastic, pushed the Nebraska front 7 off the ball most of the day. When you're 4-5, it would be easy to give up on the season and just go through the motions. The Gophers executed and played with passion. It was so fun to see the sideline bouncing around all afternoon.

My biggest question is what on Earth is the Nebraska coach doing, down 33 in the final minute, calling timeouts after your back-up QB gets sacked 3 straight times? He's lucky his QB didn't suffer a major injury.

i like the comments on this thread, very little snarkyness. The young men are playing hard. Rodney Smith is a beast.

I said before we played Michigan last week, that we could still win 9 games this year. That won't happen, but we can still win 8 games this year. The Oregon State game and now the Nebraska game are exciting because you can see the coaching staff has the ability to put guys in successful situations. We just need to do it more often. Scoring big numbers is not something the Gophers have done much of. I think this staff has that ability...despite some weeks that are unexplainable.
I do believe Demry has improved each game. That's a credit to the coaching staff and obviously Demry too. The magic trick non-handoffs were very fun! Obviously, no matter how clumsy it would have been done prior, it's been there to keep the ball in previous games too. Demry looks to be growing into his job. Very encouraging.
Playing McCrary more is definitely a plus.
So, beat NW this week and hopefully, Wisconsin can beat Michigan so we can break their hearts the week after.

Top Bottom