Post Game Thoughts

Great to see Croft have a game like that that. Only a couple of plays where I was fearing that he was going to do something stupid. Looking forward to see how he does against Northwestern and then Wisconsin. As good as he looked today, that was a Nebraska team that quit on the season today. The last TD by us and that series at the end of the game had to have been some of the sorriest efforts by opponents I've seen in a long time.

As others have said, sure wish all of the Eden Prairie players on the field today were Gophers.

Congratulaions, you posted a message without trashing other members. You did however, damn with faint praise our starting QB that ran for 183 yards, 3 TDS, and hit receivers in the hands on about 85% of his passes. One of the dumbest things I've read on Gopherhole.

This was a cathartic game for everyone. :drink::drink:

The team is getting better. Nebraska looked like us last week...poor tackling. But that should NOT take away from an inspired effort by Rodney Smith, Demry Croft, Merrick Jackson, Carter Coughlin, Duke McGhee, and many other standout players today.

This team looks inspired to make a bowl game. The coaches look engaged. This is a great effort for fan, team, and recruiting mojo. Excited to beat the wildcats.

Other thoughts: anyone else notice the playclock run out on Nebraska and they snapped it about 4 seconds late on their late TD drive? Big Ten refs continue to impress. Change your best.

One more point about the score (which doesn't matter at all of course).

But it wasn't a "run up the score 54".

At 14-37, Gophers were driving with a minute left in the 3rd. On third down, they come up less than a yard short at the 13.
First of all, it looked like a questionable mark, but PJ quickly opted for the three. At that point in time, going for a first down would have been pretty successful, but up 23, getting the 3 made it a 4 possession game.

Next possession, all runs. Demry breaks off one for 64.
UP 25, I'm not sure if the Harbaugh / Bielema card says go for one or two, but we go for one.

Last scoring possession, all runs.
Up by 32, Fleck opts to go for one vs looking at the Harbaugh / Bielema card.

I second the notion of other poster who stated that this team has played hard all year and never quit. As bad as Michigan was, they never quit. Today when Lee was gone you could see the Nebby players start to lose some fire, I don't think they quit until then, the the Gophers scored and it really started to get ugly. They had a lot to play for just like the Gophers. Now let's pull an upset on the Cats and somehow by God's miracle beat that beastly team to the East in a rivalry game that hasn't been one in forever!

The team is getting better. Nebraska looked like us last week...poor tackling. But that should NOT take away from an inspired effort by Rodney Smith, Demry Croft, Merrick Jackson, Carter Coughlin, Duke McGhee, and many other standout players today.

This team looks inspired to make a bowl game. The coaches look engaged. This is a great effort for fan, team, and recruiting mojo. Excited to beat the wildcats.

Other thoughts: anyone else notice the playclock run out on Nebraska and they snapped it about 4 seconds late on their late TD drive? Big Ten refs continue to impress. Change your best.

Yeah, it was mentioned by a few posters during the game thread. (Missed it myself.)

Completely noticed it. It was at 0 for a long time and they never stopped it. I believe I've seen that reviewed by opposing coaches before (but maybe that was an NFL Game). It is something that should be reviewable...

Yes, it was fun! But I'm worried that PJ is p*ssed off and is going to take it out the players next week in pratice. After all, they screwed up his plan to lose as many games as possible this. You see, that will make him look like even more of a miracle worker 4 years from now when his plan all comes together. That way people will praise him much, much more than if he had actually coached to win this year. One of truly dumb*ss things I've ever read on GH

Have you ever heard the one about the pot and the kettle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to nitpick a game that the Gophers absolutely dominated, but did any one else think the ball placement by the refs was suspicious all afternoon? Demry's head first slide (cmon, learn to slide better) crossed the 20 yd line. Ball was placed between 23 and 24 yd line. I think Howard had the ball and ran right over the first down marker. Again, placed short by a yard or two. Anytime we crossed their 30 yd line, the ball placement was never correct.

I hate to nitpick a game that the Gophers absolutely dominated, but did any one else think the ball placement by the refs was suspicious all afternoon? Demry's head first slide (cmon, learn to slide better) crossed the 20 yd line. Ball was placed between 23 and 24 yd line. I think Howard had the ball and ran right over the first down marker. Again, placed short by a yard or two. Anytime we crossed their 30 yd line, the ball placement was never correct.

Howard made the mistake of stepping out short of the marker.

Completely noticed it. It was at 0 for a long time and they never stopped it. I believe I've seen that reviewed by opposing coaches before (but maybe that was an NFL Game). It is something that should be reviewable...

I wonder if the clock on TV was just wrong. I don't believe the clock on the broadcast is synced with the clock at the stadium. It didn't appear that our coaches were upset.

I wonder if the clock on TV was just wrong. I don't believe the clock on the broadcast is synced with the clock at the stadium. It didn't appear that our coaches were upset.

I posed the same question in the in-game thread. I would think if they were that far over the game clock that someone on our sideline would have been going all Cruze like.

Howard made the mistake of stepping out short of the marker.
Interesting. It wasn't obvious at the game but maybe crystal clear on tv.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Have you ever heard the one about the pot and the kettle?

Sorry. I'm not the one claiming PJ coaching not caring about winning this year so he can make himself look like a miracle worker three or four years from now.

Sorry. I'm not the one claiming PJ coaching not caring about winning this year <b>so he can make himself look like a miracle worker three or four years from now.</b>

Well, who is? I have said that PJ doesn't care about wins/loses this year because PJ has said so. Many times. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the other stuff? Have you resorted to making up things I have said when I call you out?

Croft and the team as a whole are learning and making incremental progress each game under a new system in spite of losing five B1G games. They never quit. They are getting better in so many small ways that add up to a lot. This victory against Nebraska hopefully will invigorate the teams' will and desire to win and stage an upset.

Not going to blame Nebraska for the win. The Gophers played very well and I hope for a repeat next Saturday! Perhaps our coaching staff has learned the capabilities of our players better. Very good job! RTB!

What an unexpected performance from Demry Croft. I didn't know he had the type of wiggle to him to make a safety miss so bad like he did on his long TD run. This certainly doesn't erase the performances of the past two weeks from Croft, but it is interesting to see that Croft has played really well in 2 games and equally as poorly in 2 others. If he could play closer to his highs more consistently, I don't think its outrageous to see him being the QB next and not just because we have nobody else.

Secondary play was really shaky, and Nebraska seemed to be the first team that really exposed Ayinde at CB and also did a nice job of getting McGee lined up in man coverage (not his strength) at times. If Lee was able to play in the second half, this really could have become a shootout. The pass rush really started getting going in the second half, and Thomas Barber made two nice plays in coverage as well. Stopping Nebraska on that first 4th down attempt deep in our own territory was also huge, I never have confidence in Gopher D's to get those crucial momentum building stops like that so it was a nice surprise that they were able to stop that run. Hopefully we see them do that against Wisconsin in the coming years.

I was really disappointed with the drops from the WR's and TE's....even on one completion to Tyler Johnson his bobble of an on the money pass lead to yards after the catch being left on the table. The most disappointing sequence to me was right before the half when Demry went to Tyler twice down the right sideline in the end zone for what could have turned out to be a very important 7 points. Both balls were put in a good spot for Tyler to make a play, and he didn't come down with either. If he's going to be our no.1 target in the passing game, he needs to come down with one of those balls. On the bright side, it was encouraging to see Demry put those balls in a place where his receiver could make a play, but it was extremely unlikely that the defender could come away with a pick.

Hopefully this win quiets some of the negativity on the board and maybe some people will decide to give PJ a little time to build his program.

Croft looked good. And his accuracy seems to be getting better each week, especially if he has that much time. Johnson’s bobble catches and drops are starting to concern me. And can we all agree that Rashad Still can’t catch? I’ve thought that ever since he starting playing here and there is nothing that has changed my mind.

Croft looked good. And his accuracy seems to be getting better each week, especially if he has that much time. Johnson’s bobble catches and drops are starting to concern me. And can we all agree that Rashad Still can’t catch? I’ve thought that ever since he starting playing here and there is nothing that has changed my mind.

Yeah, Still's inability to get better is a big disappointment.

In 2015, the Gophers beat Purdue and Illinois, the two worst West division teams.

I think in 2017, the Gophers will have beat Nebraska and Illinois, the two worst West division teams.

Riley is beyond done. They have zero chance to win their final two games, and wouldn't be surprised if an interim is used starting either this week or next week.

I went to the game, it was my 8 year old's birthday.

I can't even remember all the scoring plays.

Great game.

I think there is a 10% chance Rashad Still has caught his last pass as a Gopher.

Wasn't Rashad Still a military brat whose family moved around a lot? If I recall correctly, he started playing football late in life. He was one of Jerry Kill's developmental projects.

The lack of developmental experience IMHO is far too great to overcome going to a D1 Power 5 program. The game speed and competition is much faster and intense than in a lower NCAA Football program. I wonder if he is one who will benefit greatly by transferring.

https://247sports.com/player/rashad-still-78504

Wasn't Rashad Still a military brat whose family moved around a lot? If I recall correctly, he started playing football late in life. He was one of Jerry Kill's developmental projects.

The lack of developmental experience IMHO is far too great to overcome going to a D1 Power 5 program. The game speed and competition is much faster and intense than in a lower NCAA Football program. I wonder if he is one who will benefit greatly by transferring.

https://247sports.com/player/rashad-still-78504

But he was recruited by the wide receiver whisperer, Brian Anderson!

Top Bottom