Post Game Thoughts

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
1. Demry looked the best he has all season as a runner. Did a really nice job fooling the defense on a couple handoffs, and a good job on the option pitch in the first half. He looked poised and his passes were pretty much on target. I grew a lot less concerned with each pass that a possible pick might be coming. Was making good decisions all day.

2. It was good to see the Gophers take complete control of the game and answer every Nebraska TD. Got Connor Rhoda back in the game at the end which was good to see.

3. Defense again played better in the second half. With Lee out in the second half, it seemed the Nebraska defense didn't have the same level of threat to it.

4. This was more of a can't gain too much win for Minnesota. If you lose, people wonder why you couldn't beat WI during one of their worst years. If you win, it makes Nebraska look like a pathetic team by Nebraska standards, and it turns out, that's pretty much what they are. Best thing the Gophers did of course was put a big number on them which was unexpected going in.

5. Bowl game is somewhat likely now wherever it might be against whatever low level team is out there, but a win next week against NW would be a welcome add. NW should be a perfect opponent to test a more confident Croft with to see if he can continue his progress or if he'll look neutralized by a more talented defense.

That's a Husker team that has no fight in them whatsoever. Can't imagine Riley being there after this year.

That was a great team win! We ran the ball all game and the defense was solid.

A vengeful beat down to liberate the ghosts of 84-13...

Lot's of Huskers in the upper part of 211.

We'll see if Riley makes it to tomorrow as HC.

A history of the rivalry on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota–Nebraska_football_rivalry

We now lead the all-time series 32-24-2. Until we beat Nebraska in 2013, our last victory was in 1960 in Lincoln. They had won 16 in a row during that time.

Obviously a mix of Gophers getting better since the 70's and 80's but the decline of Nebraska football moreso.

With this win, it's 3 out of the last 5. Small sample set, but good to be on the winning side of it.
Since they entered the Big Ten it's been 3-4.

Even though we have less Big Ten wins than we'd like, it's good to beat this team again. In the Big Ten West hierarchy, it's good to be above Nebraska from a head to head standpoint.

That's a Husker team that has no fight in them whatsoever. Can't imagine Riley being there after this year.

Exactly what I came here to say. Much like the Oregon State game, that looked like a team today that has given up on their coach and given up on their season. Our offensive line has improved a lot since the beginning of the year, however it should not be able to push around a mid-tier Power 5 school like it today. They have thrown in the towel, waived the white flag and given up.

Exactly what I came here to say. Much like the Oregon State game, that looked like a team today that has given up on their coach and given up on their season. Our offensive line has improved a lot since the beginning of the year, however it should not be able to push around a mid-tier Power 5 school like it today. They have thrown in the towel, waived the white flag and given up.

Agreed.
Gophers aren't gaining much more cred for winning. It's more about Nebraska being as bad as they showed (this whole season).

1. Demry looked the best he has all season as a runner. Did a really nice job fooling the defense on a couple handoffs, and a good job on the option pitch in the first half. He looked poised and his passes were pretty much on target. I grew a lot less concerned with each pass that a possible pick might be coming. Was making good decisions all day.

2. It was good to see the Gophers take complete control of the game and answer every Nebraska TD. Got Connor Rhoda back in the game at the end which was good to see.

3. Defense again played better in the second half. With Lee out in the second half, it seemed the Nebraska defense didn't have the same level of threat to it.

4. This was more of a can't gain too much win for Minnesota. If you lose, people wonder why you couldn't beat WI during one of their worst years. If you win, it makes Nebraska look like a pathetic team by Nebraska standards, and it turns out, that's pretty much what they are. Best thing the Gophers did of course was put a big number on them which was unexpected going in.

5. Bowl game is somewhat likely now wherever it might be against whatever low level team is out there, but a win next week against NW would be a welcome add. NW should be a perfect opponent to test a more confident Croft with to see if he can continue his progress or if he'll look neutralized by a more talented defense.

Agree with most of your recap FtF, and thanks for starting the thread.

Regarding Riley, now it's more of a "why do you fire him with two games left" question.

Unless if the hire is internal and already on your staff (which it isn't for Nebraska), there's no reason to put an interim in place for two weeks unless some massive violation is occurring. Riley appears to be a professional, so I think they let him finish the season at this point.

I'll give the Gophers all the props in the world for beating Nebraska today...

No one has apologized for beating our bad teams in the past.

Not a lot of negatives in that one. The Gophers were beter prepared and executed much better. Nebby looked to give up in the second half tho.

Great Job by coaches and players today. Hopefully it wasn't all how bad NE is and in some way last week was the bottom of the hole and we are coming up the other side now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few quick thoughts:

1) It was good to see Demry bounce back from a difficult game at Michigan. 9/15 for 105 -- plus two of the incompletions were drops (Lingen deep and Johnson on a slant) and one was a throwaway (back corner, West endzone). I think his pocket presence and running ability have both been good all year, and if he can continue to develop as a passer and in his decision making the future is bright.

2) Nice to see the running game get rolling, but it is difficult to tell how much of that was our offensive line mauling up front vs. the Huskers just giving up. I think it was likely a combination of both and it will be interesting to see how the running game looks at NW next week.

3) Blake Cashman with another really good game. Big 4th down sack and QB hurry as well. I agree with PJ that we could use 125 Blake Cashman's.

Not a lot of negatives in that one. The Gophers were beter prepared and executed much better. Nebby looked to give up in the second half tho.

Great Job by coaches and players today. Hopefully it wasn't all how bad NE is and in some way last week was the bottom of the hole and we are coming up the other side now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. The staff did a good job. They quit the "stay in the pocket, don't panic, make the throw, slide when you run" stuff and let Croft use his speed when he needs to and can. They finally let him take off and run.

It was mentioned post game that they are teaching Demry the slight-of-hand on the hand-offs and I think that's a big difference today compared to before. Steve DeBerg of Tampa Bay Buccaneer fame (and KC Chiefs) was a master at that. There were a couple times today where the hand off or lack thereof what so convincing and opened thing up significantly for Demry.

The one time he faked it, then when to his passing stance which really sold the handoff because QB's do that all the time, and then he eventually ran. It wasn't a big gain, but the way he stood there was quite convincing that he had handed it off.

Trying to diagnose how much a Nebraska defense quit is hard. You'd like to think those college kids are all giving their best effort the whole game, but psychologically it's gotta be hard playing amped up defense down by 16-20+ points.

I think the key thing is that when teams aren't playing great, that you cash in on the big runs like the Gophers did today by breaking through those tackles and taking it for the score. Gophers did that today.

We don't score that many points very often in Big Ten play.

The last four times....
63 vs. Indiana in 2006
55 vs. Indiana in 2003
59 vs Purdue in 1993
55 vs. Iowa in 1949 (Western Conf)

I basically missed the game today so had to get bits and pieces via radio etc. Whatever happen to Greene? Did he not start, play?

Can't believe Gophs won with such a derth of talent...

I basically missed the game today so had to get bits and pieces via radio etc. Whatever happen to Greene? Did he not start, play?

He started and I believe played every snap.

My thoughts:
1. Is Michigan's defense really that good?
2. Offense looked great. Really no complaints. Demry looked good. If he plays like that every week we will be in good shape but also should credit the OL with good play today too.
3. Defense was good. Need to defend the pass better though.
4. Coaches had the right game plan. Nice job PJ.

Let's go bowling!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Amazing game. My two cents:

1) Amazing gameplan by the O staff. Team was chewing up yards from the word go after being stymied the past few weeks. The staff obviously saw holes in Neb D (and there are many) and took advantage. Nice mix of drop back pass, run, and play-action early had Neb off balance all day. Nothing new (other than the draw which I don't remember), but just called very expertly.

2) Demry was so money. Poised in the pocket, accurate throwing, and made solid reads on zone all day. The 3 he pulled early in the game were critical to the win as they opened up the middle of the Neb interior for our RB's. Early in the game we couldn't get much b/t the tackles because Neb was pinching and flowing hard, thus killing our inside running game (as do most teams), but they had to get away from it thanks to Croft. This is how the offense is supposed to look. Now imagine a year or two from now with an even more dynamic QB, a couple WRs that actuall scare teams, and an OL that's been in the system a while. Excited.

3) OL was incredible today. Pass protection was almost flawless and allowed Demry plenty of time to deliver on-target throws (which he did almost every time today). Once Demry started pulling those zone reads it really opened things up and the OL was just mauling Neb. Beautiful thing to see...it's been a while since our OL dominated like that.

4) Losing Lee just killed the Neb O. They had a great plan in the first half and were smoking our D by lining Spielman up in the slot and making us match a safety up on him (typically the slow-footed McGhee). Also lots of throws to the middle of the field (again, to exploit our safeties), but once Lee went out our D was able to play much more aggressively. All the props in the world to the staff for making adjustments though, and for the kids executing in the second half.

5) RB's just ran their butts off, but they always do that. How about McCrary pulling off the Madden/NCAA FB double spin move lol?!

6) Somebody was giving me crap in another thread about saying our kids are still playing hard this season and haven't given up on Fleck, despite the fact that some posters here seem pretty down on the season. Well, I submit to you this game today. Two teams at 4-5 and desperately needing a win. One showed up to play and the other didn't. One has been giving maximum effort on every play, even when down big last week. Another is clearly mailing it in.

Was that fun or what?!

My thoughts:
1. Is Michigan's defense really that good?
2. Offense looked great. Really no complaints. Demry looked good. If he plays like that every week we will be in good shape but also should credit the OL with good play today too.
3. Defense was good. Need to defend the pass better though.
4. Coaches had the right game plan. Nice job PJ.

Let's go bowling!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

1 - Yes, they are really really good on defense
2 - Has been the story around here on offense for a while. If we can run we are effective, if we need to pass we are in trouble. Nebraska had no answer for the running game today which made it easier for Demry to pass. Was awesome to see them roll up 400+ rushing yards against a big team defense, that is tough to do no matter who it is.
3. D played solid overall, agree that pass defense is still a bit of a struggle with the players we have lost to injury and what not.
4. Agree that gameplan seemed solid and players did a great job executing it.

Top Bottom