Pride on Ice Preview: Minnesota Meets Improved Michigan Team in Ann Arbor

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Pride on Ice Preview: Minnesota Meets Improved Michigan Team in Ann Arbor
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/854701?referrer_id=331171

No. 4/2 Minnesota (7-3-0 overall, 3-1-0 Big Ten) vs Michigan (5-3-0 overall, 1-1-0 Big Ten)

Date: Friday, Nov. 10, 2017
Puck Drop: 6:30 p.m. CT
Stream: MGoBlue.com
Radio: 1130 KTLK AM | 103.5 FM | Listen Online

Date: Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017
Puck Drop: 6:30 p.m. CT
TV: Big Ten Network
Stream: BTN2Go
Radio: 1130 KTLK AM | 103.5 FM | Listen Online

INSIDE THE MATCHUP
It’s a battle between two of college hockey’s most historic programs. Now, we know it’s in the Big Ten, which is way less fun, but the history of these two teams is pretty amazing. Minnesota holds an edge in the all-time series, 139-124-14.

The Gophers have had a rough time playing on the road against the Wolverines. Minnesota is just 10-44-2 at Ann Arbor.

Minnesota won three of four meetings last season, but Michigan has won five of their last seven home games against the Maroon and Gold.

The Wolverines boast two of the top young talents in college hockey. Defenseman and potential top-10 NHL draft pick Quinn Hughes is the youngest player in college hockey, while forward Michael Pastujov is the fourth youngest. Hughes is off to a strong start, posting five points in his first eight college hockey games.

Michigan’s biggest offensive threat is Cooper Marody. The junior paces the Wolverines with 12 points on three goals and nine assists.

Pro hockey fans may be familiar with the name Nicholas Boka, a 2015 draft choice of the Minnesota Wild. Boka, a defenseman, leads Michigan with a +8 +/- rating.

STORYLINE CENTRAL
Craig Custance of The Athletic takes a look at Hughes’ strong start to his freshman year. As Custance notes, Hughes’ is rocketing up NHL boards with every solid game he puts up in the young season.

Anna Marcus of The Michigan Daily has a solid update on the Wolverines. Unlike the Gophers, Michigan has been rotating between two goalies. Marcus also includes notes on Hughes, as well as an injury update.

And here’s some fun highlights from Minnesota’s sweep over Michigan last year.

QUOTES
Don Lucia
On Michigan:
“They’re a much-improved team, you can see it. They’re getting good goaltending. Their specialty teams play is good. Their top couple scorers were freshmen a year ago. They have a couple of elite incoming freshman with [Josh] Norris and [Quinn] Hughes. Now they start to resemble a deeper offensive team.

“I think, you look at last year’s team, they couldn’t score. They were young. I think their leading scorer had 20-something points. When has that ever happened? Now they’re much deeper, with three good lines that can score and a fourth line that’s harder to play against. Five of the six D are returning and you add a kid that’s projected to be a top-10 pick in the NHL draft this upcoming season. That’s why you see the improvement in their group.”

On Eric Schierhorn:
“This year, he’s playing well. We’re 10 games in, and I think it’s safe to say that he’s played his best hockey as a Gopher. We’re 7-3, and I think there’s obviously areas of our game that we still have to improve upon, but Eric’s been there to bail us out so far. You look back to a year ago, where in the first half of the year he was hot and cold, and then in the second half he evened out his play and our team made a step. This year, he’s pretty much yet to have a bad game. I think that’s the big reason why we’re 7-3 so far.”

Three goal leads are the most dangerous leads in hockey (except maybe for four goal leads).

Top Bottom