StarTrib: Stollings & Wagner Have a Clear Goal

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/marlene-...s-goal-get-back-to-ncaa-tournament/456673433/

Beginning her fourth and final season with the University of Minnesota, Carlie Wagner stands eighth all-time in scoring — with a bullet.

By the time the season has ended, there is a good chance Wagner, Minnesota’s most-recent favorite daughter on the hard court, will stand third, behind fellow native Minnesotans Rachel Banham and Lindsay Whalen.

But she’s willing to make a trade. She’ll trade all the points (1,597 so far), all the three-pointers (206) and the all-Big Ten selections (two) for one more trip.

“I’d give up everything I’ve achieved these last few years to get back to the NCAA tournament,” she said. “Just to make a run in the Big Ten, get to the tournament. It’d be awesome.”...

...Leading the way is Wagner, who averaged 19.1 points last season. But also returning is Kenisha Bell (16.1) and Gadiva Hubbard (12.5), who as a freshman last year was limited by injury (a broken nose) and illness (mononucleosis) to 23 games.

That trio will for the base for Stollings’ guard-based attack. The four-guard, one-post lineup will see extensive playing time from freshman Destiny Pitts. Stollings expects the trio of Jessie Edwards, Bryanna Fernstrom and Taiye Bello to split time in the post.

Stollings said increased depth should have a positive impact on the defense. She expects a rotation to go as deep as nine players. And she expects better results.

"She expects to go as deep as nine players."

For fun, let's see: Bell, Hubbard, Wagner and Pitts are mentioned. That's four.

At the post: Edwards, Fernstrom and Bello make seven.

That leaves Gonzalez, Brunson and Kaposi battling for two spots. However, I'm guessing that during the non-conference season the three player post rotation will settle into a two player rotation of Edwards and Bello.

Top Bottom